• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is swapping exchanges midweek acceptable to RCI?

northwoodsgal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Madge,

I was hoping you could give me an "official" answer to this question. I asked a VC this question, and was told it was perfectly acceptable, but would like to have the answer confirmed.

Let's assume I exchange a week to Orlando. Another member exchanges in to Sanibel Island for the same week. If the other member and I agree, can we swap units midweek? No money would exchange hands, we would just "give" the other person use of the unit for a few days. We would work out the specifics between us and make the resort aware of the change in occupancy.

Thanks!

merc

Reaction score
While obivously not an official answer, I think what you are proposing is simply a variation of the customary comings and goings of guests. No resort is going to tell you who has to stay what days as long as occupancy requirements aren't violated. Hosts never have to stay the whole week and friends and relatives are often left for a few days without the "owner" around. Whatever we do is fine in this regard.

Some countries might require by law a detailed guest list, but not in North America. No resort I have ever seen even bothers to find out the names of anyone other than the person responsible financially. (You might think they would in case of fires, emergencies and so on.)

But I am sure the resort if not RCI will hold the individual who does the initial check-in as liable for all costs, etc. for the whole week. I doubt if you could divide a week as to financial liability.

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
northwoodsgal,

If you are the ones checking in, there is generally not a problem as long as you're aware that you are taking responsibility for any damage caused or fees incurred by your guests after you leave. However, if your are not checking in, you'll need a Guest Certificate for the parties who will be arriving first. The RCI members are then still responsible for their guests.