• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is Starwood a good deal? Westin Kaanapali - buy here or reseller?

KDinPVP

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've appreciated everyone's feedback and the great advice off the board.

My wife and I have an interesting challenge. We both love the Westin Kaanapali. I have a friend that will sell me his unit (float, lockoff, Ocean view) at a discounted rate (nothing solid - but probably market resell price). But, being a SPG member that travels a lot, we're thinking that the Starwood plan might be worth while.

The Westin is offering us a "deal" at $38k for an EOY lockoff and 80k points. That seems a little pricey even though with our personal situation the flexibility of the points system seems very attractive.

Two questions:

1 - Is the Westin deal as out of whack as I think it is price wise? I would haggle but they didn't seem to be interested in playing ball. I'd almost be interested in buying from them due to the flexibility the plan seems to have (flexible for us - we can't always travel for 1 week blocks and the "banking" of points and exchanges world-wide is attractive - we have to care for an elderly parent... travel's a challenge!)

2 - Is there some way to get into the points system even if I buy a resale property?

Is there a better way to get a timeshare, get the points system we want (maybe Marriott???) so we have the best of both worlds?

We're at the Westin right now and have already turned down the offer, but would like to know if I can negotiate better while I'm here. What would you do???

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you look at the stickies yet at the top of the Starwood board? Lots of info there including charts you should look at. Like how many points it will take to stay at certain locations (this is important!).

I'm not up on current prices for SVO, but $38K for an EOY sounds like A LOT of money. The resort you mention is part of the list of mandatory resorts within SVO, meaning, if you bought resale you could still exchange within the SVO system of timeshares. You should really check out that avenue.

Cheers,
Janna

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi folks,

My wife and I have an interesting challenge. We both love the Westin Kaanapali. I have a friend that will sell me his unit (float, lockoff, Ocean view) at a discounted rate (nothing solid - but probably market resell price). But, being a SPG member that travels a lot, we're thinking that the Starwood plan might be worth while.

The Westin is offering us a "deal" at $38k for an EOY lockoff and 80k points. That seems a little pricey even though with our personal situation the flexibility of the points system seems very attractive.

Two questions:

1 - Is the Westin deal as out of whack as I think it is price wise? I would haggle but they didn't seem to be interested in playing ball. I'd almost be interested in buying from them due to the flexibility the plan seems to have (flexible for us - we can't always travel for 1 week blocks and the "banking" of points and exchanges world-wide is attractive - we have to care for an elderly parent... travel's a challenge!)

Don't do it - you can by a 2 bdm. Every Year for $10K on ebay!

2 - Is there some way to get into the points system even if I buy a resale property?

No, but you aren't missing anything - the exchange rate is terrible. The nicer Starwood hotels like the Westin Maui and Sheraton Maui are 12K Starpoints and up per night, for a basic room! - some as much as 20K Starpoints per night. For 80K Starpoints you can't even get one week in a standard hotel room with no view. Plus, you only get the 80K Starpoints every other year. Don't buy a timeshare, unless you want to timeshare.

Is there a better way to get a timeshare, get the points system we want (maybe Marriott???) so we have the best of both worlds?

We're at the Westin right now and have already turned down the offer, but would like to know if I can negotiate better while I'm here. What would you do???

I would say aloha and walk away - Starwood doesn't negotiate price. Just say no.

Last edited:

KDinPVP

Reaction score
Thanks, Denise. I started poking around - the points just aren't worth it. Too expensive to get into the decent places we'd want to stay. But since this is a Mandatory property, the SVN exchanges sound good.

Any experience with Marriott? I'm reading mixed reviews on the points system there. Good or bad if you buy in separately?

Cheers and Aloha!

Don't do it - you can by a 2 bdm. Every Year for $10K on ebay!

No, but you aren't missing anything - the exchange rate is terrible. The nicer Starwood hotels like the Westin Maui and Sheraton Maui are 12K Starpoints and up per night, for a basic room! - some as much as 20K Starpoints per night. For 80K Starpoints you can't even get one week in a standard hotel room with no view. Plus, you only get the 80K Starpoints every other year. Don't buy a timeshare, unless you want to timeshare.

I would say aloha and walk away - Starwood doesn't negotiate price. Just say no.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Thanks, Denise. I started poking around - the points just aren't worth it. Too expensive to get into the decent places we'd want to stay. But since this is a Mandatory property, the SVN exchanges sound good.

Any experience with Marriott? I'm reading mixed reviews on the points system there. Good or bad if you buy in separately?

Cheers and Aloha!

I don't know anything about Marriott, but we have a Marriott board here and that's the place to do your homework.

TravelGirl63

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you look at the stickies yet at the top of the Starwood board? Lots of info there including charts you should look at. Like how many points it will take to stay at certain locations (this is important!).

I'm not up on current prices for SVO, but $38K for an EOY sounds like A LOT of money. The resort you mention is part of the list of mandatory resorts within SVO, meaning, if you bought resale you could still exchange within the SVO system of timeshares. You should really check out that avenue.

Cheers,
Janna
I'm in escrow on a resale SVN mandatory Westin Kierland Villas 2 bd lockoff EOY Platinum with 148K Points for 10K. If you're interested in a timeshare, look a WKV resales and make an offer. WKV has great trading power in the Starwood system. There are lots of motivated sellers out there right now.

jjlovecub

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Two questions:

I bought mine for 10K 8 months ago

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I'm in escrow on a resale SVN mandatory Westin Kierland Villas 2 bd lockoff EOY Platinum with 148K Points for 10K. If you're interested in a timeshare, look a WKV resales and make an offer. WKV has great trading power in the Starwood system. There are lots of motivated sellers out there right now.

Sounds like a good deal to me for the number of StarOptions you got!

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
If you like to travel around, I'd recommend buying a 2 bdrm platinum unit at Westin Kierland. You'll get 148,100 StarOptions, which is what you'll need if you want the most flexibility, for the lowest MFs. You may be able to find better deals on the mandatory resorts in Florida, but 148,100 StarOptions is your goal and it may take multiple purchases to get to that plateau. Currently, resale owners are allowed to combine their StarOptions from multiple properties, but that may not always be the case. That's why I recommend WKV.

Of course, since your friend offered, you might counter offer and see what he's willing to let it go for. I think resale EY OVs are listing for the mid-to-high 30's now, if I'm not mistaken. OFs are mid-to-high 40's. (Though bargains can always be had.) Check MyResortNetwork and SellMyTimeshareNow and TUG classifieds and see if that's accurate.

As far as Marriott goes, they'll give you way more opportunities to trade but they use II so it's important to get a strong trader. With Starwood, as long as you have the number of StarOptions you need, it doesn't matter if you own in Orlando or St. John. A StarOption is a StarOption is a StarOption.

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
I'd buy your friend's and enjoy it! Then figure out what else you want to do with timeshares and purchase then. If you're already Gold with Starwood (or anyone else) buying from them won't get you any hotel goodies. (All SVO people get Starwood Gold automatically.)

Have a great time!

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
BTW, an OF Deluxe 2 bdrm at WKORV is listed on MyResortNetwork now for $44k. I paid $50 for my 2 bdrm regular at north.

If only I wasn't so freaked out by the economy and the fear of how much our MFs are going to rise this year....