• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is my San Diego Welk Resort Deeded Week for 2 bedroom in August worth anything?

jnikom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know Welk just got bought out by Marriott. We have been thinking of getting rid of our membership for over a year. They are now offering us the opportunity to take it back. We just need to pay the remainder of the maintenance fees ($740.00). Is it worth anything or should I just pay off my maintenance and let them have it back? Thank you.

tonisimo59

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it is worth something. What are your Maintenence fees, and when did Marriott or Welk offer to take it back?

jnikom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it is worth something. What are your Maintenence fees, and when did Marriott or Welk offer to take it back?
Toni, the maintenance is $1100 a year. I pay in 4 installments so roughly $770 left. They would just take it back. No payment. Just let me walk away.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
If you want to get rid of it, and they're offering to take it back, if you're sure you don't want it, then dump it. It'll be easier than selling it yourself later for nothing.
If you think you might use Welk still, ask to convert to points and you may get a lot more than it takes to book a 2BR at San Diego.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

jnikom

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want to get rid of it, and they're offering to take it back, if you're sure you don't want it, then dump it. It'll be easier than selling it yourself later for nothing.
If you think you might use Welk still, ask to convert to points and you may get a lot more than it takes to book a 2BR at San Diego.

I was about to do that and since I feel like I can go to the marketplace and rent time shares and get the same benefits and maybe even be cheaper than keeping up RCI membership, exchange fees, and maintenance fee.

hcass6

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Platinum
I know Welk just got bought out by Marriott. We have been thinking of getting rid of our membership for over a year. They are now offering us the opportunity to take it back. We just need to pay the remainder of the maintenance fees ($740.00). Is it worth anything or should I just pay off my maintenance and let them have it back? Thank you.
Did you talk to someone directly at Welk who offered to take it back? I called last week to do the same thing but got sent on a run around. We're fully paid up but need to sell (which seems challenging) or just exit. Would love to know exactly who you spoke to. Thanks!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
That's not technically through Welk. Looks like they're partnered with the third party that operates Welks rewards program.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
That's not technically through Welk. Looks like they're partnered with the third party that operates Welks rewards program.

Perhaps, but it is Welk's official channel for Responsible Exit that they are partnering with ARDA on.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The best thing to do to see if there is at least some value is to watch a few eBay auctions to see where they end. I do see one out there now for Welk San Diego 780K points. It isn't selling for a dollar at least and it has several bids. The important thing is that most of the bids come in the last few minutes. So you really need to see where it ends.

There may be a small market out there for these as some people may buy hoping to get access to Hyatt in the future. Though, why not just buy Hyatt...

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
I just got off the phone with Welk and they are stating they have no buyback program but they do have a possible release program.
Ownership must be paid off and current year VOA paid off and then the owner must pay $795 in transfer fees to give the ownership away.
f3544836a1e324bfe4f576647528a9e6.jpg

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
I also called and emailed the responsible exit people who advised one of their license realtors will get back to me shortly.
No mention of Welk, they asked who I own with.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
So if this auction is a guide, YES it has some value. The seller was offering 2021 usage and paying MFs to keep them current in 2021.

dannybaker

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have three units with Welk I. Escondido and think the world of them. We usually get 54-62 points per unit with RCI annual. We trade into Disney three to four times a year last minute at 11 points. We also trade into Hawaii every other year for three weeks with the points. The nice thing with RCI points is you can keep rolling your points for a fee. Timeshares take a lot of work to fully understand and use and for some people they are great and for others they uh suck. We really don’t know what to expect with the Marriott /Hyatt/Welk merger. We’re hopeful to eventually become Marriott and we will have three extra weeks a year to trade in II. They will be traded for Hawaii weeks. We also own four weeks of Marriott and love them the most.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since you've been thinking about getting rid of it for over a year, take the offer and don't look back. You can spend a lot of valuable time trying to sell it and dealing with looky-loos, etc., but personally, that stuff isn't worth my time. I think you have a great opportunity here.

dannybaker

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree if you are not going to use your timeshare this is an awesome way to rid a burden in your life. We’ve sold and given away many timeshares and Simply don’t look back. You can always buy another for a dollar.

Guitarmom

Reaction score
I highly recommend www.calresorts.com. You could probably walk away with $1,000 to $1,500 if you sell through them.