• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is Marriot exercising it's first right of refusal?

djscags

Reaction score
I wondered if any you have info at what price if any they have been exercising First right of refusal lately. I am interested in a EOY 1 BR OV in the older section.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wondered if any you have info at what price if any they have been exercising First right of refusal lately. I am interested in a EOY 1 BR OV in the older section.

You may get a better response if you let us know what resort you are asking about.

Welcome to TUG.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think with the Hawaii resorts you are pretty safe from ROFR. The trust is very heavy in Hawaii weeks and many owners are willing to convert weeks that they don't use to DC points because of the high point values. So there is probably not a shortage of inventory for DC points use.

FractionalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think with the Hawaii resorts you are pretty safe from ROFR. The trust is very heavy in Hawaii weeks and many owners are willing to convert weeks that they don't use to DC points because of the high point values. So there is probably not a shortage of inventory for DC points use.

Good to hear as it was difficult to get access to some of those properties in the past.

Another benefit for enrolled owners.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Maui Ocean Club was mostly sold out prior to DC so I do not think the trust owns that many units. However, I do agree that many owners are likely converting to DC points because of their high point value, which makes it less necessary for MVCI to obtain Maui weeks through ROFR.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Has anyone heard if they are exercising their right at Aruba Surf Club?

Not that anyone has posted. Hope you got a good deal, and welcome to Tug :wave:

4Reliefnow

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't remember seeing a post that explained that "Resales" are available directly from Marriott.

https://www.marriottvacationclub.com/resales/index.shtml

A look at the inventory will show you what Marriott is able to resell as weeks to the public and at what price. These resale weeks come with the ability to convert to Reward Points, but, not into DC points.

1. Why would you ever pay resale prices more than like 80% of the Marriott Price when Reward points might have some value.

2. The expense structure for Marriott reselling the week, and paying a commission, means that using ROFR probably does not make sense to Marriott for a resale week priced more than 50% to 605 of the Marriott Resale price. Why would Marriott want to pay $8,000 and take a risk and cost to resell for $12,000?

If you want a name at this resale site for a really nice 20 year Marriott guy, PM me. I found him very informative and a straight shooter.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Maui Ocean Club was mostly sold out prior to DC so I do not think the trust owns that many units. However, I do agree that many owners are likely converting to DC points because of their high point value, which makes it less necessary for MVCI to obtain Maui weeks through ROFR.

You might be surprised by the number of weeks at MOC have been conveyed to the trust. Between the old section and the sequel there have been 2165 weeks conveyed to the trust. To put that in perspective, 5.32% of the trust is made up of MOC weeks. That puts it fifth on the list below the following (this is based on weeks in the trust, not points allocated):

Newport Coast 7517 18.48%
Timber Lodge 4514 11.10%
Kalanipu'u 3466 8.52%
Grand Chateau 2924 7.19%

I don't know how they acquired most of the weeks, but they got them from somewhere, either unsold or reacquired.

Syed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, Hyatt, Hilton and Club Donatello
I know Marriott has recently been exercising their right of first refusal option on Marriott Maui Ocean Club- old section. They have not been exercising on all sales, but definitely quite a few

tynian16

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like my Aruba Surf Club purchase passed because the closing agent sent me the official closing documents today!

I am excited.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Thanks! If you can't tell, I am going crazy waiting...
oops- saw your post above- CONGRATS!! My favorite resort :)
Hope you got a great deal! Post back and let us know.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
Looks like my Aruba Surf Club purchase passed because the closing agent sent me the official closing documents today!

I am excited.

Congrats...DH and I are looking forward to our 9th year soon.

Ingrid