• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is it worth visiting Disney World next summer?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Staying at one of the MVC palm resorts gets you access to the world center pool complex. The closest walk to the pool complex would be Sabal.

One thing I did not like staying at Royal Palms was the second bedroom was right next to the walkway. The units are like townhome style and are open walkways. I did not like my young son having that room where anybody can walk by with the window right there. Just did not feel safe for my son.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TSPam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Embarc
Sabal palms buildings are two stories with walk up to the second floor. Royal and imperial are 4 or 5 floors with elevators. You can use any of the amenities of the different time shares regardless of the one you are staying at.
sabal palms has a two step down into the living room and a two step up in the master bedroom from the sleeping area to the bathroom area...if that matters to you. I love the large balconies at royal palms and imperial palms and they have huge kitchens.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Staying at one of the MVC palm resorts gets you access to the world center pool complex. The closest walk to the pool complex would be Sabal.

One thing I did not like staying at Royal Palms was the second bedroom was right next to the walkway. The units are like townhome style and are open walkways. I did not like my young son having that room where anybody can walk by with the window right there. Just did not feel safe for my son.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Cypress harbor is the same way

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
We walked to M Complex from royal. Maybe 5-7 minutes. Imho grande vista Is fine also. We’ve stayed at both and had kids. I’d probably keep grande as it’s super close to sw if you’re going there also. This is a gv Pool. It does not have a slide.
1600798079597.jpeg

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We walked to M Complex from royal. Maybe 5-7 minutes. Imho grande vista Is fine also. We’ve stayed at both and had kids. I’d probably keep grande as it’s super close to sw if you’re going there also. This is a gv Pool. It has a slide.
View attachment 26825
Where is the slide at this pool? If anything it is a small waterslide. Nothing like the slides at Marriott World Center or even the one over at Harbour Lake.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Correction. No slide at gv. We thought the pools were very nice. The M complex was very crowded with rows of chairs. As you share with a huge hotel.

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for this suggestion. If I stay at one of the Palms, would I get access to the World Center pool complex? Is it walking distance from the Palms? If so, which Palms resort would you recommend? I see I can exchange into a 2 BR at Sabal Palms or Royal Palms. Imperial Palms in not available. I currently reserved a 2 BR at Grande Vista.
Sabal is great-stay in a building close to the walkway over to world center. There is a walkway by the World center spa building that makes the walk ~5 minutes-quicker than a golf cart ride. Hub and a kid chose golf cart that left at same time the other kids and I did walking and we were in chairs by pool before hubs arrived by cart.
Sabal has the odd layout with the steps into LR, but it is a large unit. Not our fave as the large glass block shower that shines light at crack of dawn into master bedroom and NO way to block it. It is super close to Disney though. And the Marriott World Center slide is big/high. Kids loved it!
If you are planning Disney/Legoland/SW/Universal I'd personally plan to stay at GV. The traffic may not be as bad as "usual" even by next year, but it was far easier to get around from Grande Vista/Cypress Harbour area.

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Elaine posted the pool by Copa loca bar. . great pool too
GV2020.JPG
This is the main village pool at Grande Vista. They have a media wall where movies are shown, by the restaurant (they were running fabulous deals on family meals for takeout in August-we hadn't stayed here since 2014 so don't know if this is always or a newer thing). There is a lap pool and a kids splash pad as well as hot tubs.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I looked into renting DVC points for a stay onsite. I have encountered several issues:

1) No refunds allowed with DVC point rentals so makes no sense to book ahead for next summer.
2) Cost is not as low as I expected unless it is a last minute reservation. The price per point is now $20 a point for an advance reservation.
3) Inventory is limited to certain resorts and room types (many studios available but I do not want a studio).

All in all, unless I make a reservation within a 30-60 day window, I do not see renting DVC points too far in advance as a good idea.

Last edited:

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
All in all, unless I make a reservation within a 30-60 day window, I do not see renting DVC points too far in advance as a good idea.
There are so many unknowns it is hard to give good advice. In summer 2021 will reservations still be required to enter a WDW park? Will there be Fastpasses? Park hopping?

Right now WDW is reaching capacity Fri-Mon with people complaining about the big crowds, long lines, and lack of social distancing (though mask use is still being enforced). As the traditionally busy Oct-Dec season approaches it is unclear what Disney will do (if anything).

If you aren't committed to staying 'on property' (and/or willing to go in 2022) there is a good argument to be made for waiting until around 75 days out before committing to a DVC rental - that will give you time to get a DVC reservation in place to get WDW reservations, ADRs, and fastpasses (if any) as well as cancel your II trade.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
IMHO, a no-cost Marriott is a no brainer vs expense/risk of renting DVC. We had many great WDW, Univ, SW vacations with kids before we bought DVC.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We do not plan to visit Disney or Florida until a COVID-19 vaccine have been tested by the American medical profession.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
IMHO, a no-cost Marriott is a no brainer vs expense/risk of renting DVC. We had many great WDW, Univ, SW vacations with kids before we bought DVC.
At the moment, people who are staying off property are complaining about being unable to secure reservations to visit the parks on weekends and/or for HS. One of many open questions about visiting WDW in summer 2021.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
How do you get a park reservation? I thought you just reserve it when you buy your tickets. I thought anyone can reserve a park reservation pretty easily if they plan ahead. If I buy tickets a few months in advance, do you think I will be able to secure park researvations?

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
How do you get a park reservation? I thought you just reserve it when you buy your tickets. I thought anyone can reserve a park reservation pretty easily if they plan ahead. If I buy tickets a few months in advance, do you think I will be able to secure park reservations?
I would expect so...but I don't know what the future will bring in terms of increased demand as more people become comfortable about travelling during the pandemic. As of today, this upcoming weekend has availability issues, as do Oct 8-17 and Nov 22-27.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I looked into renting DVC points for a stay onsite. I have encountered several issues:

1) No refunds allowed with DVC point rentals so makes no sense to book ahead for next summer.
2) Cost is not as low as I expected unless it is a last minute reservation. The price per point is now $20 a point for an advance reservation.
3) Inventory is limited to certain resorts and room types (many studios available but I do not want a studio).

DVC is just expensive no matter how you slice it. Long term, short notice options are likely not going to be a good plan but I would agree the commitment without cancelation options is risky. Of course one can always reserve on cash and have more cancelation options. However the terms vary with the individual, you may have some options that are more flexible if you book with an individual rather than a company.
How do you get a park reservation? I thought you just reserve it when you buy your tickets. I thought anyone can reserve a park reservation pretty easily if they plan ahead. If I buy tickets a few months in advance, do you think I will be able to secure park researvations?
They are prioritizing on property guests and current passholders so staying on property does give one a leg up assuming they also have a ticket in their account that will work.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Next October (2021) will be 50th anniversary of WDW. So expect some big things in the fall.

My sister and I took her triplets when they were 5 to the 25th anniversary of WDW. The triplets are now 29, but 30 next year. They are planning to visit again all together for the 50th Anniversary. They have been many times in between, aften together, but not always. But they are planning it as a group activity some time during the 50th year celebrations.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
All I can say is I would not want to pay a ton of money to have only half the experience due to COVID restrictions.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Something to consider if this will be a "once-in-a-lifetime" experience would be to look at the WDW VIP tour options (not sure if these are still going in covid era). They are pricey, but you get treated like royalty and you can get so much done in a day. With what you could save in renting a DVC it would make up for staying off property. We did a VIP package in Shanghai Disney when we only had a single day to visit, and we were able to get on all the rides/attractions we wanted without having to wait in long. It was our most enjoyable Disney experience ever.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I feel very lucky. Last night, I was able to re-trade into a 3 bedroom at Marriott Imperial Palms. I was booked in a 2 bedroom at Grande Vista but when I saw the 3 bedroom available, I grabbed it. A 3 bedroom will allow my parents and/or my sister and her family to join us. I had to be flexible on the dates for the change so now we are booked over the July 4th holiday next summer. I preferred June since it is probably less busy. I will keep watching to see if any other dates become available in a 3 bedroom. It is nice to get this 3 bedroom unit virtually for free since I was awarded it as a perk when I bought a hybrid package in 2018. I am realizing the nice thing about II is how long you can extend the expiration dates of timeshare units.

On another notes, since we are booked Fri-Fri, I am tempted to add on a 3 day Disney cruise from Fri-Mon. It is a little less than $4000 for a verandah stateroom for 2 adults and a child. That seems pretty reasonable. With all the money we are saving by staying at my “free” Marriott, I might consider a cruise, assuming they are sailing by next summer.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It is a little less than $4000 for a verandah stateroom for 2 adults and a child. That seems pretty reasonable.
Perhaps reasonable by Disney Cruise Line standards...

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

How much would a 3 night cruise for 2 adults and a child in a balcony stateroom on a similar cruise line like Royal Caribbean or Princess cost?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd agree, we have back to back in a suite for 2 weeks with 2 adults for little more than that next fall.