• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is it worth the hassle to get passports to travel to Mexico??

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We don't have passports and are going to next March.

We don't normally leave the country, is it worth the hassle to get passports since they aren't requirred? Thanks, :D Greg

cymomtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
If this is a one time trip I would not mess with it if you are going be fore the required date. If you are like my family and going yearly, it is well worth the investment. Less hassle and less papers to carry.

vincenton

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't leave the country without a passport. Not worth the trouble, have it, as we get older we don't want anymore stress than needed. :D

Vincent.

debraxh

TUG Member
Reaction score
If this is a one time trip I wouldn't bother either. An official copy of your birth certificate with drivers license (or state issued ID card) will suffice. However if you plan to return to Mexico or go to Canada or the Carribbean in the next 10 years you might as well go ahead and get the passport now.

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
PAssports

Vincent is right, get passports. It isn't that much hassle, really. Since you are not leaving until March you will not need expedited processing.

You never know where you might be traveling, so it is nice to have one at the ready. Even to go into Canada a passport is a good thing to have.

We got passports for our kids when they were teenagers.

" Don't leave home without it!" :)

Cheers,

Paul

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I would suggest getting the passports as well. For years I didn't have one since I "only" went to Mexico or Canada. Then, when the chance of a trip to Switzerland came up I need to scramble and had to expedite the passport. Steve tends to carry his even on domestic trips. Both of our daughters have them as well, they were obtained when we went to Canada. Our youngest, who is 15, has found it be very helpful since she flies back and forth to school by herself.

JanB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Whenever we travel we use our passports whether it is international or domestic travel. You must have a photo ID to get on a plane. What would you do if your wallet/driver's license was lost/stolen? Now that would be a HASSLE if you didn't have a passport.

cw_racefan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Get passports. Its not that hard, and makes it easier when travelling. Also note that in the near future (next year I think) a passport will be required to travel to any Caribbean destination or Mexico. Might as well do it now.

From the US State Dept. website:

When will the Travel Initiative be implemented?

In the proposed implementation plan, which is subject to a period of initial public comment, the Initiative will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed timeline will be as follows:

* December 31, 2006 – Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.
* December 31, 2007 – Requirement extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel.

Dollie

TUG Member
Reaction score
In addition to travel...

In addition to using a passport for travel, a passport is an excellent proof of identification for anything that may require you to prove who you are. In this day and age that often requires multiple proofs, a passport is one of the best pieces of ID to use. Birth certificates do not have photos and besides, in my case, the certificate is locked up in a safe deposit box, requiring two trips to the bank (one to get it out, one to put it back when done) each time I need it. The passport is at home and easy to access when I need it, whether for travel or ID.

caribbean

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Get the passport. You never know when something unexpected is going to happen and you will NEED one. I knew a co-worker who had a son overseas in the military back maybe 15-20 years ago. She never traveled so did not have a passport. When her son became gravely ill, she was delayed in getting some sort of special exemption from the military to travel to see him since she didn't even have her proper birth certificate needed to get the passport. By the time she was approved to travel, he had taken a bad turn and passed away. Ever since that happened I have felt that everyone needs to have one. You never know when a family member may be traveling and need your help. It is kind of like an insurance policy in my mind. And I find that we pass through customs a lot faster than those without the passports.

lvhmbh

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm with the "get the passport" people. I carried ours to Los Angeles because it was easier. A last minute opportunity to travel could come up, etc. Linda

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Passports

Greg here's my 2 cents, I have a passport and it was worth every penny when we got off the cruise ship in January, the line for people with passports
was really short compared to the line without.
My advice is to get them, also it is a lot easier at the airport.

aliikai2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all

Some very good points that I hadn't considered. We will be getting our passports. :D Greg

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Get the passports

I also recommend getting the passports. I have had my US passport for 30 years. I just renewed it last January. There really is no hassle. I had it done through the Post Office. It was very easy.

frenchieinme

TUG Member
Reaction score
This falls under the catergory of "TIS BETTER TO HAVE AND NOT USE THAN TO HAVE TO USE AND NOT HAVE!!!". Get a passport.

JMHO of course :D

frenchieinme ;)

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Get the Passport - the cost is minimal

when you factor in the 10 year you should get one. With today's scary travel environment, the US passpost may become a necessity with short notice.

All my family have one and we update them when needed.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Get the passports.

Passports are also useful as a backup form of official identification. Because of identity theft and security concerns, government agencies have become much more restrictive and picky about issuing replacement or duplicate documents such as drivers licenses. If you only have a drivers license as proof of identity, how do you prove who you are when you want to replace your lost drivers license?

My son lost his wallet a couple of years ago. With his passport it was easy to get replacement IDs because he could use the passport to prove his identity.

I use my passport for identification for all my travel, domestic and international. The bag I always travel with has a conveniently located pocket for a passport. As I approach a security point it's much easier to just reach in and grab the passport instead of fumbling with my wallet.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I'm with the "get the passports" crowd. It makes coming back into the country so much easier IMO. When getting off a cruise ship, I hate getting behind families that only have BC's. It takes some time for them to get through. With our passport, it's quick and simple.

Besides, changes are in the works so that you will be required to have a passport to for reentry into the country anytime you leave it, including Mexico and Canada. They keep pushing the date back but, the day is coming when it will be mandatory. Better to have it now than join the stampede later.

barndweller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Get it now, Greg!

We got passports back in '86 for our first European trip. Renewal at the expiration time is a breeze.We renewed ours the last time in our small town at the county courthouse. They sent all the stuff off to San Francisco and we got our new passports in the mail about a week later. Just imagine how much hassle it will be in another year when all Americans suddenly realize they need one!! Do it now. We use ours for all travel, domestic and international. A passport is great for airports and almost everything else when a photo I.D. is needed. And you never know, you just might trade for that "can't pass it up" exchange to some exotic foreign place one of these days. With a passport in hand, you are good to go!
Julie

Jaybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm with the majority here. Even though they've now extended the deadline for needing passports for Mexico & Canada, if you plan to do any travel out of the country, it makes life so much simpler. Nobody questions a passport, and if you decide to travel out of the country on short notice, it can cost much more to get one in a hurry. Happy travels!