• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is it time to change the name of the BBS Section??

Gophesjo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not a Marriott owner, granted, but I'll ask this question anyway. Is it time yet to change the name of this BBS Section to MVCI? I have bid on a couple of Ebay auctions for what are now MVCI properties, and have to remind myself every time that I do, that Marriott is no longer standing directly behind the MVCI operations. (Rather, of course, it is indirectly through the licensing of the name.) As such, I ask my self every time I am about to click on the 'confirm bid' button, "Is there no longer warranted brand-related inflation in the price I am considering offering for this interval?"

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I'm not a Marriott owner, granted, but I'll ask this question anyway. Is it time yet to change the name of this BBS Section to MVCI? I have bid on a couple of Ebay auctions for what are now MVCI properties, and have to remind myself every time that I do, that Marriott is no longer standing directly behind the MVCI operations. (Rather, of course, it is indirectly through the licensing of the name.) As such, I ask my self every time I am about to click on the 'confirm bid' button, "Is there no longer warranted brand-related inflation in the price I am considering offering for this interval?"

Hmmmm. You maybe are confused. "MVCI" isn't new - Marriott Vacation Club Int'l is the name that the Marriott timeshare business has always had under the Marriott, Int'l umbrella.

The name of the new spin-off company is "Marriott Vacations Worldwide Corporation." Considering the new name and that the name "Marriott" will remain on the resorts for the foreseeable future, I don't see a need to change the name of this board to something other than Marriott.

Gophesjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the technical correction - I do appreciate it. The point is, however, that the properties no longer enjoy Marriott management (and in some cases, amenities). It is like the difference between a FNMA security and a US Treasury bond. Both are government securities, but the Treasury bond has a better guarantee.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Thank you for the technical correction - I do appreciate it. The point is, however, that the properties no longer enjoy Marriott management (and in some cases, amenities). It is like the difference between a FNMA security and a US Treasury bond. Both are government securities, but the Treasury bond has a better guarantee.

They do enjoy Marriott management, indirectly. In exchange for the "Naming Rights" fee and through a contractual obligation to uphold the Marriott brand-standard that is stipulated in the governing docs, the resorts/owners are afforded the Marriott name and its inherent industry reputation.

If you're talking about amenities at resorts which enjoy privileges at adjacent Marriott hotels, any of those privileges can be revoked by the hotel at any time and the resort BOD's can choose to sever the agreement as well. It's happened fairly routinely under the MVCI umbrella when the contract between the resort and hotel comes up for renewal; in some cases the BOD continues the existing agreement or negotiates new terms, in some cases the BOD is forced to sever the agreement if the hotel prices it out of reach.

Last edited:

Gophesjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
As I watch the prices of non-lock offs falling - due to high MF's - it looks to me like the market is reflecting the belief that 'indirect oversight' is not the same as hands on management. I suspect most potential purchasers would be willing to pay more if spin off had not been spun off. (I realize the reality of SDO resale prices could indicate that I am wrong, but to me, its just not Marriott anymore.)

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not aware of any resort amenities that have changed due to the spinoff. Could you be more specific? The resorts I own are still being managed and run by the same people that were there before the spinoff.

The only concern that I had heard from the employees before the spinoff was how the new corporation was going to handle the longevity benefits. Everything else was going to remain pretty much the same. Even the paychecks were still going to have the Marriott name on them.

BTW the stock VAC is doing well. It's up about $4 a share or 5.2% since the initially offer.

siberiavol

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most of Marriott hotels are not owned by Marriott. They have brand standards which must be met by owners of the property. The owners sign contracts but hotels change "flags" quite often when contracts expire.

If the Marriott name is on the timeshare they are getting paid. A lot of information is in the information filed with the SEC related to the spinoff.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Wyndham Resorts section has a sub title to reflect the history of the system

Discussion of the two Wyndham systems Worldmark (WM) & Wyndham Vacations ( aka Fairfield ) (also Equivest, Cendent, Pahio and Trendwest.)

Perhaps TUG could add a subtitle so it would be clear that there has been a change

Something like

Marriott Resort System
formerly known as the Marriott Resort System

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I like what I have seen since the spinoff. I think it was a good move for all concerned. Time will tell for sure.

Gophesjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
My comment about 'lost' amenities related to posts I have seen here on TUG relating to Desert Springs owners now having to pay to use hotel faciloties that were free to them in the past.

wvacations

TUG Member
Reaction score
My comment about 'lost' amenities related to posts I have seen here on TUG relating to Desert Springs owners now having to pay to use hotel faciloties that were free to them in the past.

The use of the JW Marriott was never free to DSV I owners. There was a charge in the MF's for that use. The last year of that agreement the charge was $50 per week. Under the new agreement the new charge is $55 for the first year and a 5% increase every year for 5 years. The usage of the JW was also cut to Mon-Fri only. This has nothing to do with the spin off. The BOD was in negotiations for about 18 months prior to spin off taking place.

Also note that the JW Marriott is Palm Desert is NOT owned by Marriott. It is managed by Marriott and owned by Host Hotels. Marriott owns very few hotels. They are a Management Company and they still provide management and quality standards for the timeshares that carry the Marriott name.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We are potentially paying a lot of $$$ (license fees) to have that name on the door of our resorts, I say we keep it here to. BTW, this is not a hijack attempt...