• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is it possible to transfer deed to relatives?

esmith1500

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am the executor of my deceased aunt's estate. She owned a floating week at the Avenue Plaza in New Orleans now owned by Wyndham. We are in the process of closing the succession and realized she owned the timeshare when I received the yearly bill for the maintenance fees in December. I have paid the fees and the account is up to date. She was never married nor had children but does have several nieces and nephews. Some have expressed an interest in assuming the responsibility of owning the timeshare. What would be involved to transfer the deed (which I have been unable to locate) to one of these relatives? Does Wyndham allow this and does anyone know what costs would be involved?

Thanks for anyone's response.

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe the Avenue Plaza weeks in Wyndham are converted weeks, meaning if your Aunt didn't convert to Wyndham points Wyndham would have no involvement except as the management company.

esmith1500

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know she did not convert to points. At first I tried to have the timeshare "deeded back to Wyndham" which they denied so now I'm trying the transfer deed to relative route. I guess Wyndham Vacation Resorts does control the timeshare even though it is a floating week.

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you are missing the point. The timeshare can be transferred without Wyndham's blessing. As part of the closing process the managemnt company (Wyndham) is notified. Also as part of that process they (Wyndham as management Co.) may have to issue an estoppel letter. But Wyndham doesn't own the property and you do not need to follow Wyndham's points rules regarding transferring to a relative. It can be transferred to anyone.

As for deeding back, the Property Owners Association, if that is the name they go by, would be the entity to decide that. Wyndham there is simply the management co, as could be VRI, SPM resorts etc.

esmith1500

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice. Are there any specific closing companies you would recommend?

slabeaume

Reaction score
I recently went through the transfer process with my father's timeshares. He had one that was transfer on death and the other (Worldmark) was not. The transfer on death was easy. It transfered to me. Then I quit claimed it to sign it over to my sister, brother, and myself as owners and not just me. The Worldmark shares were a much bigger headache and took a long time to finally straighten out. But as executor or his will, I was able to sign it over to myself. It seems to me that as executor, you should be able to quit claim your aunts resort over to one of the other relatives. But I'm not a lawyer.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I know she did not convert to points. At first I tried to have the timeshare "deeded back to Wyndham" which they denied so now I'm trying the transfer deed to relative route. I guess Wyndham Vacation Resorts does control the timeshare even though it is a floating week.

As another poster said, it is not Wyndham who controls the TS, but you. You do, however, have fiducuary responsibilites to the estate. If the TS has no value, you may deed it to whoever takes it off your hands and notify Wyndham of the change. But if it has value, you should attempt to realize that value for the benefit of all the heirs (or obtain the consent of the heirs to give it away).

Either way, a closing service is not likely to have sufficient "legal" knowledge on how to deal with estate property. I suggest using a probate or real property lawyer who would have the forms for the consents you need and the deed that must be used to make the transaction effective.

slabeaume

Reaction score
As another poster said, it is not Wyndham who controls the TS, but you. You do, however, have fiducuary responsibilites to the estate. If the TS has no value, you may deed it to whoever takes it off your hands and notify Wyndham of the change. But if it has value, you should attempt to realize that value for the benefit of all the heirs (or obtain the consent of the heirs to give it away).

Either way, a closing service is not likely to have sufficient "legal" knowledge on how to deal with estate property. I suggest using a probate or real property lawyer who would have the forms for the consents you need and the deed that must be used to make the transaction effective.

If you use a lawyer, expect to pay them alot. I was able to take care of the name changes on my Dad's 2 different types of timeshares by contacting the resorts directly and getting the info on how to do it from them. It took quite awhile to finalize the Worldmark transfer, but there is a special department that deals with this sort of thing. I would imagine Wyndham would also be able to put you in contact with the right department within their group to help you out.

Bill4728

Reaction score
in the "how to sell your TS" thread at the top of the buying and selling board, there are several closing companies which are mentioned that can transfer title for you for about $300.( generally paid for by the buyer)

slabeaume

Reaction score
Again, with this being an inheritance question, I don't think closing companies have to be involved---unless you're selling it. At least I didn't have to use a closing company for either of my Dad's timeshares.

kalua

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Aunt's Timeshare

I am the executor of my deceased aunt's estate. She owned a floating week at the Avenue Plaza in New Orleans now owned by Wyndham. We are in the process of closing the succession and realized she owned the timeshare when I received the yearly bill for the maintenance fees in December. I have paid the fees and the account is up to date. She was never married nor had children but does have several nieces and nephews. Some have expressed an interest in assuming the responsibility of owning the timeshare. What would be involved to transfer the deed (which I have been unable to locate) to one of these relatives? Does Wyndham allow this and does anyone know what costs would be involved?

Thanks for anyone's response.

If you e- mail Whyndam in Fl. They will tell you that you can transfer to an other relative without having a lawer, for a fee of $ 100.00 . I don't recall the exact detail's but if you e-mail or call them they will tell you. I requested this info a couple of months ago hope this helps!

slabeaume

Reaction score
But if she never converted to Wyndham, you may want to try calling the resort first. Just because the resort is managed by Wyndham doesn't mean they own the week. Wyndham wanted another $17,000 for us to convert our Pahio weeks to Wyndham, so we left them as Pahio units---managed by Wyndham.

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score

You will need to prepare a deed and record it with the local government that resort is located. Look at your aunt's deed, you can basically copy all the wording except the grantor and grantee's name. There will be some small transfer fee and recording fee by the local government, you should be able to find out the local government by looking at her deed, or serach the internet using the resort address

Than after you got the local government acknowlegement, send the copy of the deed to the resort, since your aunt has not converted the week, you will only deal with the resort management office.

You can use any of the closing companies listed in Bill's link to do the same thing, they probably will charge you $300 extra.

Jya-Ning