• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is it possible for Timeshare fee to increase???

Cherry

Reaction score
Hi all, I have timeshare for a long time. During covid, my timeshare company wants to increase the annual fee. In 2020 we don't travel because of covid. Is it reasonable for them to increase the fee when travel at this time is a restriction. My timeshare company is in United States and I am from Canada. United States has lots of covid cases so how can we travel at this time? Please kindly help. I try contacting them by email and they are not able to reduce the price for us. Any suggestions would greatly appreciate it? thanks.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Maintenance fees are generally adjusted every year, based on budget, expenses, tax increases, and overall cost of providing the timeshare. Covid has created a lot of unexpected expenses, even if the resorts have been mostly unoccupied. So if you're asking how they can raise the rates after a year of essentially non-use, it's because the costs have been ongoing, notwithstanding Covid. As costs have increased, so maintenance fees will also increase. You're a partial owner at that resort, so you share in the costs of them providing it.

Dave

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP, Welcome to the TUG website. Where “Knowledge Is Power,“ by Bacon.

The post above is short and concise, but very true. Just read the first sentence again, posted by DaveNV.

Your timeshare maintenance fees will increase yearly. IMHO.

Please enjoy your timeshare vacation experiences.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP, please read the “Help & Advice” section above to gain more Information and Knowledge about owning a timeshare.

Good Luck.

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
If this is the first time your annual fee has increased, you are very lucky. The maintenance fees at many timeshares go up every year. The timeshare company has to pay for utilities, property taxes, landscaping, building maintenance, etc, and these items can be expected to go up in price every year.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
It is notable when a timeshare maintenance fee holds steady.

It is unheard of for a timeshare maintenance fee to go down.

It is all too common for timeshare maintenance fee increases to be inadequate, triggering shortfalls in the Reserve Fund & leading to a dreaded Special Assessment which all owners have to pay in addition to increased maintenance fees.

So it goes.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Disney went down slightly this year -- miracle of miracles.
That's the most unheard of thing I ever heard of.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it possible for Timeshare fee to increase???
Not only possible. Virtually guaranteed. Seems to me that my contracts have a statutory annual raise of 'up to' 5%. You can bet they always take it.

Jim

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Disney went down slightly this year -- miracle of miracles.
The per-point MFs for 2021 did not go down relative to the MFs for 2020, in fact they increased. I forget what the % increase (varied by resort) was.

The total bill for 2021 did go down relative to the total for 2020 because due to the prolonged closure, there were some savings, and instead of putting the excess collected into reserves, DVC issued a credit which was subtracted from the 2021 MFs. There was also a credit for overpaid property taxes.

A clear explanation of this can be found in DVCNews:
https://dvcnews.com/dvc-program/fin...ers-to-receive-credit-for-excess-dues-in-2020

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have timeshare for a long time. During covid, my timeshare company wants to increase the annual fee.

How long have you owned this timeshare? In all the years that you've owned it, have you not noticed an annual increase in the maintenance fees?

By the way, Covid-19 has little to do with the resort's operating expenses. Although there might have been fewer travelers using the facilities because of less travel due to Covid, there were also likely fewer renters bringing in some income for the resort which the resort usually uses to defray from the operating expenses.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
How long have you owned this timeshare? In all the years that you've owned it, have you not noticed an annual increase in the maintenance fees?

By the way, Covid-19 has little to do with the resort's operating expenses. Although there might have been fewer travelers using the facilities because of less travel due to Covid, there were also likely fewer renters bringing in some income for the resort which the resort usually uses to defray from the operating expenses.
Depending on the timeshare system/com[any, the HOA sees no money from the rental of weeks. Unless those weeks are actually owned by the HOA. However, many Marriott HOAs had been selling back foreclosed weeks to Marriott. So they didn't really hold anything that they could make rental income from. Marriott would rent it out instead and they would pocket the income.

Due to COVID, resorts should have seen a lot of savings in labor costs as they laid off a lot of staff. Not as many guests, means not as many rooms to clean, which means not as many housekeeping staff. Same goes for the activities staff. That said, we didn't see much of a decrease in our Marriott MFs in 2021, though they did go down a little.