• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is it legal for a resort to extend your ownership when deed has an expiration date - Florida

Travel Gal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
LeHigh Acres, Port O'Call, Grand Desert, Vacationland Estates, Isla Mujares
Last year (2020) we had mailed the maintenance fee upon receipt of the bill, before realizing that our ownership had ended. We attempted to contact the resort, mailed a copy of the deed, with no response. We received another bill 2021. This time someone answered the phone at the office and gave us a contact number for Capital Vacations. When we contacted Capital Vacations, told them we no longer owned the timeshare, the deed had expired, they informed us that the resort had extended our ownership. The property is in Florida - LeHigh Acres - and managed by Capital Vacations. Is this legal? We were provided an exit list with several steps to follow, including attempts to sell the timeshare. How do we sell a timeshare with a deed that shows an expiration date over a year ago? Is it legal to do this without any signed authorization from us? We are now retired and did not plan on having this expense continue.

Last edited:

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not think it is legal for the resort to extend the ownership.

If it was me, I would not pay this bill.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe by paying that maintenance fee, it extended your membership according to details in the contract. I would still fight it and not pay another dime. Or bother to sell it. Tell them it is theirs. You still should have received a notice that the membership was expiring and what your options were. Sleazeballs!

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe by paying that maintenance fee, it extended your membership according to details in the contract. I would still fight it and not pay another dime. Or bother to sell it. Tell them it is theirs. You still should have received a notice that the membership was expiring and what your options were. Sleazeballs!

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

With all due respect, this is flawed reasoning. It is deeded ownership, not a "membership". Far more likely, the "Termination" provisions within the underlying governing documents (CC&R's, prepared and recorded with Lee County back in the 1980's, just like many other independent SW FL timeshare properties built during that time) were formally amended (and extended) by owner majority vote somewhere along the way. A hired management company, in and of itself, would have no legal right to just unilaterally alter the original CC&R's termination date. The property at issue here is presumably Lehigh Resort & Club, which is located in (but not called) Lehigh Acres. This place has seen management company changes in recent years; formerly and ably managed by VRI, but no longer.

The "sunset date" mentioned in the OP-referenced deed is merely a brief reference to the "termination" provisions found within the original (governing) CC&R's. The deed verifies ownership, but the actual CC&R content identifies details of termination (including any amendments thereto). The date mentioned in old deeds may now be obsolete. If so, it does not prevail over current CC&R content.

Deeded ownerships could not and would not ever be magically "extended" on an individual basis and / or merely by paying a maintenance fee bill. Also, any resort CC&R "termination" date amendment would apply equally and identically to each and every owner of record (including any owners who may not actually be pleased with an amendment pushing out the termination date).

In short, if the original termination date has been lawfully and formally amended in resort CC&R's, then the original "sunset" date reflected in older deeds is simply now an obsolete item. That date being subsequently amended does not constitute a valid basis on which to unilaterally proclaim any existing ownership and / or its' associated obligations as now "ended". That just simply isn't so.

The (now obsolete) "sunset" date mentioned in an old deed is not an impediment to sale, giveaway or deedback. The deed already references right back to the (officially recorded) CC&R's, which will should reflect any amendments to the original termination date.

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last year (2020) we had mailed the maintenance fee upon receipt of the bill, before realizing that our ownership had ended. We attempted to contact the resort, mailed a copy of the deed, with no response. We received another bill 2021.

I had one of these once. Mine had a provision in the By-Laws that said there would be a vote of Owners at the expiration date whether to dissolve or continue. If Lehigh Acres had such a provision and a vote was taken to extend, I think you are stuck. Check with the Board of Directors and find out...

George

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
As said, many Florida TS's have faced this issue and took a vote to extend. Absent that, all owners are converted to a "tenant in common" with an undivided equal share. So, your ownership doesn't simply disappear.

Somewhere in the Minutes of the HOA's BOD there will is likely a reference to the extension. I suggest that you look for the original TS Declarations and amendments thereto filed in the Official Records of the county where the TS is located or ask for a copy from management, and then ask for a copy of the Minutes that reflect approval of the extension.

If you want to deed-back the TS, that is a different kettle of fish.