• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is it hard to get vacations that are not in your home resort?

Sergio

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
Hi all, I'm currently in the process of buying 4800 platinum points at the Tuscany Village in Orlando, but i noticed that the maintenance fees at Las Vegas is much less. So if I buy the same amount of points in Las vegas as my home resort, would it be difficult to make reservations in the other resorts. Or should i just buy at Tuscany because where i plan on travelling more often. i dont plan on traveling to Vegas, maybe once. I ask because i read reviews in other site that people claim they could never make reservations in other resorts because they bought resale.

Any advice or info would help me out a lot, thanks.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
HGVC is pretty flexible. We have owned for bit over years now, and i don't think i have ever made a home week reservation. Sure some resorts and seasons are more difficult, but most are possible. The Lagoon tower at Hilton Hawaiin Village is considered one of the most challenging, and we booked an ocean front room at 9 months. I have not personally stayed at Tuscany Orlando, but Vegas and Orlando have lots of inventory and are pretty easy to book. If Orlando is you main goal, then I think you could buy anywhere and still have good sucess booking there.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless you want a week during the holidays, it won't matter where you buy. The home resort advantage also only comes into play if you stay Sat. - Sat. at the resort that you own during the season you own and in the room the own. So, if you owned a 2 bedroom and only wanted a one bedroom to stretch your points, you'd still have to wait until 9 months out to book it in your home resort. It's generally not necessary to buy where you want to stay.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I've been a HGVC owner for 10 years and stayed at my home resort 2x.
-- both were "Club" bookings (Home Week is too restrictive)

If you want a holiday or high-demand location (Hawaii/NYC), book early.
But if you're flexible with your dates or location, it's easy.

IOW, points are points.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Like the others, we've been HGVC members for a long time (10+ years) and have stayed at our home resort on a home resort week reservation all of once. To date we've never had a problem getting a reservation anywhere else in the system with the possible exception of Oahu.

The one caveat might be that booking one specific style unit for one specific week could be a little iffy at certain resorts, especially if you're not booking at the moment inventory is released for club reservations. Oahu I know can be difficult. I'd assume the ski weeks in Park City and Breckenridge might be more difficult as well. But overall if you're not locked into one specific unit type or one specific week, Orlando and Vegas are pretty easy most of the time.

FWIW our typical usage these last few years has been to book a 4 night stay at Elera in a Grand Plus one bedroom. I find I need to book 8 or 9 months out ensure I get what I want for the dates I want, which are pretty specific. I've also booked a 2 bedroom penthouse suite at the LV Strip location with no issues and we have an upcoming reservation for the Big Island. At the time of booking the reservation for the Big Island, I pretty much had my choice of unit style and resort at the 9 month mark with the exception of some of the highest cost units at each resort.

For us the reality is we have very little problems booking what we want but, we are advance planners and typically book at the 9 month window. Our needs are rarely so specific that we can't find something that's acceptable and usually find and exact match for our preferences. I have no desire to "upgrade" our ownership to Elera, even though it's become our preferred resort in Vegas. It's been easy enough to book and, if that ever changes, we're just as happy locked into our owned unit at the LV Strip location.

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

levatino

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMO, The affiliates are hard to get into, regardless of type of unit and desired week. Some have very limited club inventory--all the time.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at W. 57th and Vegas (Flamingo). Owning in New York is (not quite, but almost) necessary for getting New York. Others have gotten it but, from what I hear, it's hard due to the window.

We use Flamingo points in Vegas and (so far) Big Island. A bunch of times on the last one. Never a problem.

Cheers.

Sergio

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
Guys thank you all for your advice and feedback. I really appreciate it. This helped me out a lot.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
IMO, The affiliates are hard to get into, regardless of type of unit and desired week. Some have very limited club inventory--all the time.

Some affiliates (i.e. Sanibel-Captiva) have a lot of owners who do not to enroll in HGVC.
And even if they do, they use their weeks instead of making them available to the Club.
I would.

But a broad enuff inquiry ("Anything in SW Florida, 6-9 months out?) usually bears fruit.
You need to be flexible and persistent.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at W. 57th and Vegas (Flamingo). Owning in New York is (not quite, but almost) necessary for getting New York. Others have gotten it but, from what I hear, it's hard due to the window.

We use Flamingo points in Vegas and (so far) Big Island. A bunch of times on the last one. Never a problem.

Cheers.

Yes, I'd agree. Pretty much anything except for the new clubs where only owners can book sooner than 45 days is fairly easy, providing you don't wait until the last minute. (ie: Booking Orlando for Christmas and waiting until October to do so.)

I live in Albany, so it's *usually* easy to get into W57 with very flexible plans, but there's usually only 1-2 nights you can get and of course (at least the old system) wouldn't let you book them so you'd have to call and by then someone else had usually scooped them up. But there are times it's cheaper to stay in a Hilton as well. By the time you tack on the $75 cleaning fee, and the points for say a 2 night studio plus, plus the reservation fee. I had gotten a Hilton Garden Inn with free breakfast for like $200/night. Cheaper than W57 (if I'd gotten a regular studio probably would've been break even).

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
Being relatively new to HGVC (but not new to TS ownership) and owning at the Hilton Club in NYC I would say I having been very pleased with getting what I wanted. I just booked Elera for 4 days Labor Day weekend without any problems. And just booked at the Cabo resort early next November. Got the rooms I wanted and the exact times. For a newbie I have managed my expectations I would have to say I happy so far. I purposely bought in NYC as I go there regularly and, as others stated, it can be hard to book there without ownership (but not impossible).

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'd agree. Pretty much anything except for the new clubs where only owners can book sooner than 45 days is fairly easy, providing you don't wait until the last minute. (ie: Booking Orlando for Christmas and waiting until October to do so.)

I live in Albany, so it's *usually* easy to get into W57 with very flexible plans, but there's usually only 1-2 nights you can get and of course (at least the old system) wouldn't let you book them so you'd have to call and by then someone else had usually scooped them up. But there are times it's cheaper to stay in a Hilton as well. By the time you tack on the $75 cleaning fee, and the points for say a 2 night studio plus, plus the reservation fee. I had gotten a Hilton Garden Inn with free breakfast for like $200/night. Cheaper than W57 (if I'd gotten a regular studio probably would've been break even).

You mean *$85* cleaning fee, don't you? :)

Owning at W 57th, we have the option of paying like $129 per year (something like that) to have no reservation or cancellation fees. So, that adds value to owning there. Some, anyway.

Since we're coming there from CA, having the 276-day booking window is nice.

Cheers.

Buns

TUG Member
Reaction score
As others have said, unless you are looking for holiday periods (especially Thanksgiving as the Outlet is right next door) then owning in Vegas is not a drawback.

Although it took some effort, I have recently booked an extended stay at Tuscany Orlando during the busy Spring Break period and I too own in Vegas

B

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
what is the hardest property to get at 9 months? To make it a fair comparison, let's say a summer week (July 4th).

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there some properties that you simply cannot at 9 months (not including low season)?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Are there some properties that you simply cannot at 9 months (not including low season)?

If you are awake at Midnight ET, you should be able to get your foot in the door, even in Hawaii.
However, these resorts have restricted Club windows:
44 days out -- West 57th Street, The Residences & The District. 186 days out -- Hokulani.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, is the resort in Tuscany hard to get?

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Wow, what a newbie mistake :cool: Italy...

I think that booking the Italy resort is doable but I would book it right when the 276 window opens up.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that booking the Italy resort is doable but I would book it right when the 276 window opens up.

Agreed, I would say this goes at least for may-august maybe also September. If Easter is late one year, I assume that one too.

October - April should be doable, except Christmas and nye they might book up fast.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I was given dates for Tuscany (Italy) for April last year, but never confirmed...
Decided that I could not take the time off. :bawl:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll keep this in mind for next summer, thanks.