• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is is safe to book United for May? How close to flight time are rates lowest?

shmoore

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for airfare for my daughter to fly to Grand Cayman in May. Currently the cheapest fare is using United. Do you guys think it is safe to book United? I'm so afraid that they will stop flying.

Also, should I buy now or wait? How far in advance of flight time do rates usually go down? I know it is a gamble, but I don't buy often enough to make a good guess. Hotline has a note that prices are usually cheapest 60 days in advance. What do you think?

Thanks for your help.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
United is out of bankruptcy now. And they kept flying the whole time they were in. I flew them the entire time with no problems.

JillChang

Reaction score
I fly United a lot. It will not just stop flying. If you are worried, charge the flight to your credit card, in the unlikely event that airline stop flying, you can reverse the charges.

Rule of thumb is always buy as early as possible, Of course, sometimes there are specials, but if your daughter's date is not flexible, then earlier the better.

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
United

If you think it is not safe to fly United, just who were you thinking of flying? I suppose you could fly Southwest. They may be in a more favorable position due to their long term fuel contracts. Otherwise, I would be hard put to find another choice. Sure they were in bankrupcy and they got their pilots to take a double digit decrease in pay and got out from under their pension liability. Now most of the airlines in the industry are envious of them. Frankly, I am more afraid the sky will fall not that United will fall out of the sky.

Last edited:

shmoore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your help. I feel much better. I have the United ticket on hold until I can double check with my daughter tomorrow.

We have a friend who was a pilot with United and lost a huge percent of his pension. I guess that attributed to my paranoria.

You are the greatest!

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
UA got through their problems in bankruptcy court and emerged. I would be more comfortable with them still flying than with DL or NW who are under threat of pilots strikes that could kill either or both airlines.

AA and CO have not shed their problems in bankruptcy and may end up at a competitive disadvantage as a result.