• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is II my only option to seek an exchange

Calyn79

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do some resorts only permit you to exchange your week with either II or RCI? I hope I have other options. :(

My Costa Rica week automatically shows up in my II account, 2 years out. However, this year I want to deposit it with another exchange company and my resort tells me to talk with II. My sgned contract does not say that II is the sole exchange company to be used, but my resort does not seem like it wants to answer my question, or tell me if they will accept paperwork from another exchange company for a deposit of week.

Any similar experiences out there.
thank you.

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
First off, hello to a fellow Vancouver Islander!

You own the week and can deposit it with any exchange company you choose.

SFX is particular about what weeks they will accept, but DAE, Trading Places, Hawaii Timeshare Exchange, and Platinum Interchange will accept any week. When you contact the alternative exchange company they send you a deposit form that you sign and fax back to them. Then they run flak with your resort with a signed deposit form in hand to get the resort to relinquish your week into their pool.

Of course the alternative exchange companies don't have as big a pool as RCI and II, but you can do very well using them wisely. Google the companies to find their websites and then check their exchange offerings to see which one looks best for your needs.

To get into the HTSE site use HTSE as the login and 9999 as the password (guest login).

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If your resort is not affiliated with RCI, you can't deposit it there, but eal has given an excellent rundown of the "independents" as they're called here.

If you have a particular exchange company in mind, give them a call and they will be able to assist in dealing with your resort. I think they're pretty used to the, "Can only exchange with II," or, "RCI" mantra that some resorts seem set on. Often it's just a matter of educating the resort staff.

And I don't live on the Island but in Abbotsford - aren't we lucky to live here with the weather we're having today - or at least on my side of the water!!

Bev

eal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Bev,
Yes it is a most beautiful day today! I love daylight savings time and the longer evenings, with longer ones to come.

Calyn79

TUG Member
Reaction score
First off - a big hi to 'Eal' and 'BevL'. We B.C.er's rock! Our mega winds up this way have somewhat run out of steam today - but not quite yet.

Thank you for your comments and ideas. I'm aware of the other exchange companies and am a HTSE member. I've owned this week for years, great resort, trades very well, but I've always deposited/exchanged it with II, however was looking at HTSE this year instead. I've had to provide HTSE with resort contact info as they've not dealt with this resort before.

Working to educate or get information (other than the normal stuff) from my resort is somewhat difficult due to the language barrier as there are not many weeks owned outside of Costa Rica. Hence their office likely has not worked with many exchange companies other than II. Here is my last e-mail response from my resort that does not make any sense....so, yes, education from a distance is definately required. What is 'membresy'?
According your resquest you can deposit your 2012 week to another destiny like we told you through Interval or another company, but usually Interval provides you that information and you can exchange through the company you want if you have a membresy.

I guess if I wish to proceed with HTSE, I'll just get them to contact the resort and see what happens. I just thought that some resorts may have a contractual agreement with the big names, even though that is not stipulated in my resortcontract.
Cheers

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It could very well be that HTSE will have someone who can speak or write to them in Spanish and that might help.

Let us know if you're successful - hopefully HTSE will be a good option for you.

Bev

eal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey Calyn79,
Once you fax that deposit request form to the independent exchange company, just sit back and let them take care of getting your week from the resort. They do it all the time. And yes HTSE has at least 1 Spanish-speaking staff member.

BTW we LOVE Costa Rica and have been there quite a few times. We stay at Geoholiday's Pueblo Real, and we have also spent a week in a rental condo on Playa Ocotal. What a wonderful country to visit!