• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is bottled water readily available at grocery stores? We head to Orlando on Saturday. Just wondering whether to bring our own.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
That would make for a heavy suitcase, and that was our daughter's suggestion for our trip. We could bring our own, if we have to. I can also boil water and add lemonade or fruit punch packets and put it in our water bottles.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Too be safe & to save you some time; I would check with the following: Costco, Sam Club, BJ Warehouse, and with all the main chain grocery supermarkets in the area.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't believe Orlando (or anywhere in Central Florida) is under a boil-water advisory. So, you can safely drink the tap water as is.

If you just don't like it (and I get that, because I don't), you might consider instead bringing a filter pitcher. It's much lighter and takes up much less space, and it saves you from having to carry cases of water to and fro. We have a slim Brita pitcher in our Owner's Locker for just this reason--it makes Central Florida water taste like "water".

Another option is a lifestraw. I have one that fits the top of my HydroFlasks, and you can use it to drink e.g. lake or stream water without fear of contamination, etc. I would think it would be a fine alternative for Florida tap water even if there is a boil-water advisory. I've used this hiking in National Parks, and a fresh mountain stream tastes awfully good when you have one of these.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I don't believe Orlando (or anywhere in Central Florida) is under a boil-water advisory. So, you can safely drink the tap water as is.

If you just don't like it (and I get that, because I don't), you might consider instead bringing a filter pitcher. It's much lighter and takes up much less space, and it saves you from having to carry cases of water to and fro. We have a slim Brita pitcher in our Owner's Locker for just this reason--it makes Central Florida water taste like "water".

Another option is a lifestraw. I have one that fits the top of my HydroFlasks, and you can use it to drink e.g. lake or stream water without fear of contamination, etc. I would think it would be a fine alternative for Florida tap water even if there is a boil-water advisory. I've used this hiking in National Parks, and a fresh mountain stream tastes awfully good when you have one of these.
That is so helpful, Brian. I am sure going to get a Brita filter pitcher. What a great recommendation. I do not like Orlando water at all. It even smells bad. I do use it for coffee, however, and that doesn't seem to matter.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I have found that the grocery store can be out of bottled water on a good day. When I went to the grocery store on the tuesday before Ian, the shelves were bare of all the bottled water except for a few cases of Aquafina. I don't know the situation now, but usually if one store is out, another one will have it. There are no boil advisories in the resort areas, so drinking the tap water would be fine if it weren't for the taste and color.

I wouldn't bother trying to haul water, you might need to hit up a few grocery stores if one doesn't have it, but I have found that they usually don't have it just because they failed to stock the shelves, not necessarily because of a run on water. Also, bottled water will be in short supply on those big check in days when everyone hits up the grocery store. I have found the Winn-Dixie on 535 the best store to shop at since it is a little out of the way of the tourist corridors and most people seem to want to go to Publix. Reason for which I don't understand.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
My guess is that any store chains who are on top of things would have shipped in extra water once the storm predictions started. Walmart, for example has found that pop tarts are especially popular food items after a hurricane, and will proactively start shipping them to stores near the affected areas. Bottled water would seem to fall in this category (and probably beer as well). ;)

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
My guess is that any store chains who are on top of things would have shipped in extra water once the storm predictions started. Walmart, for example has found that pop tarts are especially popular food items after a hurricane, and will proactively start shipping them to stores near the affected areas...

We went to Walmart to stock up on non-perishables... just-in-case.
For us, this meant, canned tuna fish, crackers, potato chips, and cookies.
I did not tell this to my doc when I saw him yesterday.

Last edited:

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just returned from a weekend trip and while waiting for our airport transportation in the outside the lobby I was watching all the food delivery services bring in items - many were cases of water, so I can only assume there is water out there to purchase. We have used the Britta water bottle in the parks in the past. It worked well to remove taste/smell, the only downside is it really isn't insulated.
Capture.PNG

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have found that the grocery store can be out of bottled water on a good day. When I went to the grocery store on the tuesday before Ian, the shelves were bare of all the bottled water except for a few cases of Aquafina. I don't know the situation now, but usually if one store is out, another one will have it. There are no boil advisories in the resort areas, so drinking the tap water would be fine if it weren't for the taste and color.

I wouldn't bother trying to haul water, you might need to hit up a few grocery stores if one doesn't have it, but I have found that they usually don't have it just because they failed to stock the shelves, not necessarily because of a run on water. Also, bottled water will be in short supply on those big check in days when everyone hits up the grocery store. I have found the Winn-Dixie on 535 the best store to shop at since it is a little out of the way of the tourist corridors and most people seem to want to go to Publix. Reason for which I don't understand.
Oh, but Twistee Treat is right there. Perfect for a treat and a shopping trip.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
Just wait a minute rickandcindy23!!! Don't tell me that you know about our special Twistee Treat spot on 535. We've been going there for years. We never miss a vacation in Orlando without a stop, and sometimes twice within that week. The service and prices are the best ever. And yes, Winn-Dixie is right there and always empty. And, if you enjoy an Acai bowl, our favorite place is the Vitality Bowls Dr. Phillips. It's a little further up 535. This place is almost as good as Eduardos in Aruba. Sorry for going off topic. We returned from Orlando on October 1 just after the hurricane.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went to Walmart to stock up on non-perishables... just-in-case.
For us, this meant, canned tuna fish, crackers, potato chips, and cookies.
I did not tell this to my doc when I saw him yesterday.

Your last two sentences I totally can understand.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil

Lifestraws are awesome! You can drink from a rain barrel with a Lifestraw. There's a video out there of a guy drinking raw sewage, water from a urinal, even the Mississippi River.

When I was working, we shipped tens of thousands of Lifestraws to a large South Asian country. What they call water there flows downhill but otherwise bears little resemblance to water.