• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is anyone else planning to go to Maui in the next couple of months?

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a family trip set for next month in Nanea and WKORV, but with Governor Ige asking tourists not to come until at least November, I'm thinking of cancelling our vacation. Again. (Sigh...) We're all vaccinated, but I want to be respectful. I also don't want to spend weeks in lockdown. Is anyone else booked for Sept/Oct? What are you going to do?

robertk2012

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Villages, Westin Kanapalli
We have a family trip set for next month in Nanea and WKORV, but with Governor Ige asking tourists not to come until at least November, I'm thinking of cancelling our vacation. Again. (Sigh...) We're all vaccinated, but I want to be respectful. I also don't want to spend weeks in lockdown. Is anyone else booked for Sept/Oct? What are you going to do?

Going in a couple days…the governor is welcome to reimburse my expenses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K&PFitz

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are booked for Kauai for a week and Maui for two weeks starting September 29. I saw the governor's message, and don't know what to do. It looks like we would get restricted options that must be used this year, but there's nothing available anywhere we'd want to go.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Going in a couple days…the governor is welcome to reimburse my expenses

We are booked for Kauai for a week and Maui for two weeks starting September 29. I saw the governor's message, and don't know what to do. It looks like we would get restricted options that must be used this year, but there's nothing available anywhere we'd want to go.

I hear you both! I've got a lot of StarOptions tied up in this trip, too.

What I don't get is all the sales on airfares to Hawaii going on right now?

Last edited:

pharmacistking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Bella
SDO
The Grandview Las Vegas
MVC Grand Chateau

We are going to Big Island on Sept 18th. then Maui at Nanea on the 25th. We have not traveled in almost 2 years except locally. Unless he bans me I'm going. Being Canadian even if we are vaxxed we need a negative Covid tetst to get in so additional measures are not an issue.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We don't have a trip planned to Maui until March 2022. My concern with going anywhere at this point in time is, what will be open? I personally wouldn't want to travel someplace just to find that I couldn't go anywhere.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
We are booked for WKORV arriving Sep 18. I think it will be "use it or lose it" with our Westin points if we cancel, so we're going. My husband and I are fully vaccinated and don't mind wearing a mask everywhere in public, though with this announcement, I may make an appointment for pre-travel COVID test, just in case. If it was our first time visiting the islands, maybe we would move it to next year, but we don't need to do the tourist-y stuff, just want to enjoy the island vibe, fresh air, ocean surf, etc. Be safe, be patient, be respectful, and enjoy.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Yesterday the Lt. Gov said it would be 2 weeks notice before any restrictions go into effect. However each county mayor could impose their own restrictions such as beach closures. Deja vu for us too. We were here last year for family medical reasons with state wide restrictions. Here now for same reasons, and probable beach and park closures again.

Local business groups won't agree to severe restrictions as last year. And the governor has said a lockdown would be the last resort (no pun intended)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Yesterday the Lt. Gov said it would be 2 weeks notice before any restrictions go into effect. However each county mayor could impose their own restrictions such as beach closures. Deja vu for us too. We were here last year for family medical reasons with state wide restrictions. Here now for same reasons, and probable beach and park closures again.

Local business groups won't agree to severe restrictions as last year. And the governor has said a lockdown would be the last resort (no pun intended)
Beach closures would definitely cause us not to come. That and restaurant closures as I don't want to eat in the condo every meal every day.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We have plans to visit Maui and Oahu starting mid-October. As of today we plan to go, but we will continue to monitor the situation. We have been there many times, so we don’t need to go to touristy places or activities. A lot can happen in the next nine weeks or so. Hopefully it will be for the better.

Best regards.

Mike

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
This message of "Do Not Come" puts us in a Catch-22. You're not officially restricted from traveling to Hawaii, so Vistana is holding to the standard cancellation policy. Cancellation fees of $50-75 and 60-day restricted use of StarOptions through December.

VacayKat

Reaction score
We are on Oahu, dropping our kiddo at college. We have Maui planned for Dec. In all honesty, this is the most crowded I have ever seen the island. Our friends who live here shared the stats that visitors to Hawaii in the past couple of months were up something like 20% over the all time high of 2019 and that's excluding international visitors.
If it were me, and I had the option to delay a trip to any island I probably would right now. It is so crowded and it's just not the same vibe as the islands normally are. If the Resort is not working with you to refund credits, I'd reach out to the governor's office and say, I'd like to abide by what you ask, but I lose money - can you help. I'm guessing they'd be more than happy to pressure for a no-loss cancellation on your behalf.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Under our Marriott Over Lords, Vistana has been much less flexible about bending the rules. I don't expect them to reinstate the "COVID Cancellation Rules" unless Hawaii actually goes into lock-down, and I don't think it will, because we are going into fall which is traditionally "slow season." That's what my crystal ball says, anyway.

Last edited:

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope your crystal ball is right, Denise! In the Hawaii TUG Forum, @HGVC Lover just wrote:

I do not think the issue is who is spreading the virus. We have been on Hawaii Island for 2 months and were supposed to stay a month longer but are leaving this week mainly because the hospitals on this island are not able to handle routine emergencies because they are full of Covid patients. Their health care system is becoming stressed and they are trying to stop the spread of the Delta variant which is what is causing the rise in cases, not necessarily who. The doctors have announced here if you have a heart attack, are in a serious car accident, or get seriously injured at the beach or in the water that treatment would be very limited based on their ICU levels now on Hawaii Island. Hundreds of traveling nurses starting arriving yesterday in the islands to help with the medical situation and hospitals filling-up.

If nothing is done or nothing changes they are expected to have 3,700 cases a day by mid-October. One of the reasons the Ironman World championship was rescheduled from October of this year until hopefully February 2022. If they decide to close beaches, parks, museums and other things there might not be much for tourists to do here.

Last edited:

califgal

Reaction score
We are suppose to arrive at WKORV Sept 10 for a 2 week stay. I called the resort yesterday to find out how booked they are and they are at capacity during our 2 weeks We are fully vaccinated and would wear N95 masks on the plane, but after what the governor said today and cases increasing we will cancel. We have no way of using the staroptions by the end of the year so we are stuck with depositing into Interval. Lousy, but not worth risks and worry. Not fair for us to pay the cancellation fee, but small price to pay.

robertk2012

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Villages, Westin Kanapalli
We are suppose to arrive at WKORV Sept 10 for a 2 week stay. I called the resort yesterday to find out how booked they are and they are at capacity during our 2 weeks We are fully vaccinated and would wear N95 masks on the plane, but after what the governor said today and cases increasing we will cancel. We have no way of using the staroptions by the end of the year so we are stuck with depositing into Interval. Lousy, but not worth risks and worry. Not fair for us to pay the cancellation fee, but small price to pay.

You can deposit restricted options or depositing the week? Didn’t realize you could do that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You can't deposit Staroptions, you can deposit the underlying week that you own, as long as it's a complete week, identical to what you own.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Whew!!! Thanks for that reminder, Denise. I was thinking I wouldn't even be able to do that if I cancelled last minute. Those high Maui MF's would be a bitter pill to swallow.

SHG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Riviera Beach and Spa, Dana Point
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC on Blvd
Hyatt Beach House
I hope your crystal ball is right, Denise! In the Hawaii TUG Forum, @HGVC Lover just wrote:

I do not think the issue is who is spreading the virus. We have been on Hawaii Island for 2 months and were supposed to stay a month longer but are leaving this week mainly because the hospitals on this island are not able to handle routine emergencies because they are full of Covid patients. Their health care system is becoming stressed and they are trying to stop the spread of the Delta variant which is what is causing the rise in cases, not necessarily who. The doctors have announced here if you have a heart attack, are in a serious car accident, or get seriously injured at the beach or in the water that treatment would be very limited based on their ICU levels now on Hawaii Island. Hundreds of traveling nurses starting arriving yesterday in the islands to help with the medical situation and hospitals filling-up.

If nothing is done or nothing changes they are expected to have 3,700 cases a day by mid-October. One of the reasons the Ironman World championship was rescheduled from October of this year until hopefully February 2022. If they decide to close beaches, parks, museums and other things there might not be much for tourists to do here.
Just to clarify, the Hawaii Covid 19 website shows only ~550 cases per day. I expect you made some kind of typo....

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Last edited:

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hear you both! I've got a lot of StarOptions tied up in this trip, too.

What I don't get is all the sales on airfares to Hawaii going on right now?
I’m wondering if airlines are collecting fares they know people will cancel so then they have your money to be used later

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are debating the same thing. And we’re scheduled sept-oct for 2 weeks at WKORV and then Nanea.

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk WKV WMH WKORVN SVR Harborside 5* and spoiled
We are going sept 4 for 3 weeks. We will take the same precautions we took in February this year. We are both vaxed. If Westin offered a reasonable deal we might consider a change but I doubt we will see that.
We know that there will be limits, but just sitting and watching the ocean is ok with us. We reserved a car back in January so we are good on that front.

RC51Tofuman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea Studio (no longer owned)
Westin Flex (currently own)
We are scheduled to go Mid November to Nanea
Plane tix and Nanea was all paid and booked in advance a few months ago

I hope things improve

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk