• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is Anyone Buying Anything?

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought a 10yo used Toyota Sienna! I'm doing my bit for the economy! :wave:

rsnash

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just bought a TS for $1 + 2009 MF.

My mom called to tell me how Nordstrom's is having some big sale. But you know what saves even more money than a big sale?
Not going to the mall.

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been in Retail.

And still follow because now in business I'm tied into a reverse retail cycle.

For the current holliday season, Oct - Dec, comp sales are off 30 - 50 %, depending on who you speak to, and who admits to what.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I was talking to somebody who has worked at Supercuts for over ten years. They work in Henderson, NV, which is fairly affluent, although probably not the people who go to Supercuts. Anyway, my friend says that their business is off about 50%, and that's for a $12.95 haircut. That's pretty bad.

We occasionally shop at Walmart Neighborhood Store. That's not a full service Walmart, but a grocery/pharmacy/health & beauty aids/photo store. The business at this store has more than quadrupled in the last year.

Fern

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
My part...

I'm certainly doing my part! :D

tlwmkw

Reaction score
I talked to a couple of realtors here who I know- they claim business is still doing great (!!!!). I can't believe this- I think they are trying to spin the situation and keep customers. I do know that a number of realtors have left the business, and a number of new home builders have shut down or gone bankrupt. Mortgage brokers are doing business again with refis but how long can that last? It's a scary time- but I guess we just have to let the infection clear and then (hopefully in not too many years) things will get back on a more normal footing.

1950bing

Reaction score
In times such as we are in now, remember the little guy. Your mom & pop stores that were around before any big box stores. I for one have never been into wallie world. The little stores have supported local events, churches, high school football and all kinds of local stuff for a long long time. Now we can return the favor to them. Remember, after they are gone they will not be back.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
In times such as we are in now, remember the little guy. Your mom & pop stores that were around before any big box stores. I for one have never been into wallie world. The little stores have supported local events, churches, high school football and all kinds of local stuff for a long long time. Now we can return the favor to them. Remember, after they are gone they will not be back.

Thank you for saying what many of us feel. Also I'd like to add: read labels and buy American-made when available. :cheer:

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I went to the mall for the first time in six months. Lots of people on a Sunday. Clearance sales going on. I'm looking for a winter coat but they were still way too expensive. In Feb. our local consignment shop has everything half off. That's where I'll buy one or two I like.

Sir Newf

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Think Globally.....Shop Locally".....local businesses are the give-backs to the community...support them, so they can continue to support the local community. I do my part every chance I get: cars, clothes, books, etc:)

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Buy American

"Think Globally.....Shop Locally".....local businesses are the give-backs to the community...support them, so they can continue to support the local community. I do my part every chance I get: cars, clothes, books, etc:)

I shop every week at the local farmers' market. Good for the economy and our health.

We buy American cars. If we are going to spend billions to bail them out, why would we then turn around and buy foreign cars?

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I shop every week at the local farmers' market. Good for the economy and our health.

We buy American cars. If we are going to spend billions to bail them out, why would we then turn around and buy foreign cars?

Lawlar, I applaud you.

Seems to me there are too many who buy Saudi or Venezuelan oil to put in their Japanese car to go to Wal-Mart to buy Chinese stuff and food shipped cross country to undercut the local farmers. All this so our taxes can pay the medical bills and schooling of illegal immigrants. Then gripe that the economy sure is on the rocks.

I think I get it.

Jim Ricks

TerriJ

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am still spending my travel dollars. We have cut back on more expensive restaurants and some on clothes (our closets are full anyway).