• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is anyone as annoyed as I am...no more manuals included

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
with products...grrrr.

I just received my Canon Power Shot Elf 310HS to replace my 6 year old SD400. I purchased it because of the better view screen, optical zoom, etc. However, my purchase was fortuitous in that the old camera is now giving me 'busy' signals and I have missed some great shots of my 2 babies (kitties) in the last couple of days.

I opened the package today and can't believe that I have to download and print the manual or study it on the computer. This also presents a problem when traveling...can you imagine referring to a 210 page printed 8x10 manual rather than those ittty-bitty ones they used to provide.

Thanks for letting me vent. I'm going to call Canon tomorrow about getting a real manual...hopefully, that's possible, if not I may have to look at other manufacturers that still supply paper manuals.

Ingrid

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
I've been having the same issue with several recent purchases...frustrating. At least my Panasonic camera came with a manual...and it was small enough that I was able to easily take it along when I used the it recently.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've been having the same issue with several recent purchases...frustrating. At least my Panasonic camera came with a manual...and it was small enough that I was able to easily take it along when I used the it recently.

It's not as bad with software and printers and scanners, but cameras...give me a break. We always take our manuals with us when traveling; most of the time we don't have to refer to them, but occasionally we do. I like the Canon products and we have 3 cameras we use regularly and don't want to switch manufacturers but will do if Canon cannot supply a 'normal' manual.

Ingrid

Stressy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just experienced this with my new Kindle Fire. The box had the Kindle, cord, and a small cardboard piece that showed me how to plug in the cord and turn it on...I had already done that by the time I found the little card. After that, you had to look for the "book" (manual)that was already loaded on the Kindle. At least I have it in my hand...I guess...I did have a good laugh over it. :hysterical:

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
A group of us were discussing this very thing over Thanksgiving. Yes, I can understand the green effort, and am sure they are saving a significant amount in not paying the printing costs, but it's still frustrating as a consumer.

In the end, if you really like to have a hardcopy reference (as I do), you have to go through the hassle of printing the pdf yourself (and thereby wasting paper and ink anyway).

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
A group of us were discussing this very thing over Thanksgiving. Yes, I can understand the green effort, and am sure they are saving a significant amount in not paying the printing costs, but it's still frustrating as a consumer.

In the end, if you really like to have a hardcopy reference (as I do), you have to go through the hassle of printing the pdf yourself (and thereby wasting paper and ink anyway).

On the other hand, those who don't need/want a hardcopy don't have to pay extra for something that is of no value to them. This makes perfect sense to me - those who want the manual wind up paying for the manual. Those who don't, don't.

"Green" is just a buzzword. What this is about is cost reduction and isolating the cost of providing features to those who want those features.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
On the other hand, those who don't need/want a hardcopy don't have to pay extra for something that is of no value to them. This makes perfect sense to me - those who want the manual wind up paying for the manual. Those who don't, don't.

"Green" is just a buzzword. What this is about is cost reduction and isolating the cost of providing features to those who want those features.

A good point, though I wonder how much of the cost savings is actually passed on to the consumer who doesn't need/want a hardcopy.

caribbeansun

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's another line on the bill of material, if the line goes down or is eliminated then the total cost can be considered relative to the selling price. Direct relationship of one line item to end price isn't practical nor very realistic with a company with a large product line.

A good point, though I wonder how much of the cost savings is actually passed on to the consumer who doesn't need/want a hardcopy.

Cheryl17

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I travel with my camera, I also like to bring my manual. Let us know if you can get one.

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My Canon T3i camera came with 2 manuals, one for the camera and another for the zoom lens. But my new ATT Smart phone did not have manual. I had to download it to figure out how to use the phone. Its a real pain for me as I like to take the manuals when traveling.

Suzanne

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Many of these online manuals can be downloaded and stored as PDF docs.
My printer manual is like that. I usuallly just print the pages I need.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
What's a manual?

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No way to get an itty-bitty manual. My options are to return the camera and buy a brand that still supplies them or print the 8x11 pdf then photocopy at a reduced %. Lots of wasted paper and time, but I can cull out the unnecessary pages.

Off-topic, but I have to comment on the customer service rep...he was a total idiot. After I stated my problem he told me I could print out an 8x11 pdf (weren't you listening to what I just said!). I re-stated the need for an itty-bitty manual to tuck into my purse when traveling and he suggested I use the CD instead. Duh, you expect me to haul around my computer and when I need to refer to the manual, fire it up. He came back with, 'I didn't know you don't take your computer with you.' I started laughing and asked him didn't he realize how ridiculous his responses were then hung up. I realize the majority of these reps are not the brightest, but this guy was at the bottom of the barrel.

Ingrid

Don

TUG Member
Reaction score
My new Kodak came with a manual, but I still download the online version. I've found that in some instances (cell phones) that there is more info online. I just got an HD TV. It had a paper in the box that said they were going green. It also had two manuals in it. One in English and one in Spanish.
:)confused: going green?)

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
No way to get an itty-bitty manual. My options are to return the camera and buy a brand that still supplies them or print the 8x11 pdf then photocopy at a reduced %. Lots of wasted paper and time, but I can cull out the unnecessary pages.
A better option is to simply bring the PDF to a Kinkos (or similar) and they can print up a small version of it, double-sided, bound, etc. If you really want to print it out yourself, look at your print options of the printer dialog window -- most allow you to reduce size, print 2 or 4 pages per sheet of paper, etc. There should be no reason to print and then photocopy (seems like a big waste of paper and time).

I agree w/ T_R_Oglodyte that having electronic copies is more efficient, over all. And if you have a smart phone, tablet, or other such device that you carry with you, you can have the PDF loaded on it so you have the manual with you all the time. I do that w/ my iPod Touch.

Personally, I find electronic manuals more useful because you can search for keywords quickly and easily -- no need to thumb through tons of pages to find what you need.

Kurt

K&PFitz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with the frustration, but the one consolation to online manuals is that they are out there and easy to find for years. I recently needed the manual to my five year old PC. I'm sure it's in a box in the basement somewhere, but it's a whole lot easier to find through google.

Also, somewhere in the basement are the five pounds of books that came with my first PC, in 1990. Not only did they send a detailed manual for the PC and each peripheral, they also sent a bible-sized book on DOS and another on Windows 3.0.

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
Twice now, I have contacted the company by telephone and told them I do not have a computer and to send me a copy in the mail. Worked both times.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Many of these online manuals can be downloaded and stored as PDF docs.
My printer manual is like that. I usuallly just print the pages I need.

This is what I do too. Actually, I have downloaded all the PDF's to a folder called "Operating Manuals" to all of my computers so that I have the information whenever and wherever I need it. I started by just putting those on my Netbook, but found them helpful to have on all of our computers. Many of these electonics do have manuals, but it is easier for me to find the information in one place.

I even have all my Appliance Manuals in a folder. It beats looking for them in the file cabinet when I need to know how to use a different feature for find a part number to order.

I used to take my camera manuals with me, but discovered that I seldom used them. We are on our 3rd version of the Canon Elph series, so we know pretty much how to use them. Besides, we are more point and shoot camera folks.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, somewhere in the basement are the five pounds of books that came with my first PC, in 1990. Not only did they send a detailed manual for the PC and each peripheral, they also sent a bible-sized book on DOS and another on Windows 3.0.

Thanks for that memory. My first computer came with more printed material than computer!

Contrast that with the iPad that had 1 sheet- printed on 1 side that said 'Plug into your PC's USB port. Start iTunes.' And the Kindle that puts the complete manual in the device. The first time it took me a couple of tries to figure how to flip pages, though.

I realize that the above would be difficult with a camera, but still, most people- especially those with experience with the same brand- should be able to master all but the most esoteric functions of a new one pretty easily with perhaps a trial or two.

My DW- not the most tech-savvy person on the block- managed to figure out the most usable functions of her shiny new smart phone with only the included 'Quick Start' flyer.

Just goes to show- we all learn differently. Some by manual, some by face-to-face instruction, some by trial and error and just playing with the device.

Jim Ricks

It CAN be done.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A better option is to simply bring the PDF to a Kinkos (or similar) and they can print up a small version of it, double-sided, bound, etc. If you really want to print it out yourself, look at your print options of the printer dialog window -- most allow you to reduce size, print 2 or 4 pages per sheet of paper, etc. There should be no reason to print and then photocopy (seems like a big waste of paper and time).

I agree w/ T_R_Oglodyte that having electronic copies is more efficient, over all. And if you have a smart phone, tablet, or other such device that you carry with you, you can have the PDF loaded on it so you have the manual with you all the time. I do that w/ my iPod Touch.

Personally, I find electronic manuals more useful because you can search for keywords quickly and easily -- no need to thumb through tons of pages to find what you need.

Kurt

Thanks for the options. I test printed a few pages and will take the CD to Kinkos. The pdf prints in the middle of the page and I can't find/printer does not allow printing at the edges. That's why I was going to print the 8x11 and recopy. I can position the 8x11 on the copier and it will copy at the edge allowing me to trim 2 edges rather than 4. My preference is for a bound booklet. As to taking an electronic copy with me, we travel w/o computers, my ipod is the Nano and I don't have a smartphone because I don't need one.

Ingrid

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Twice now, I have contacted the company by telephone and told them I do not have a computer and to send me a copy in the mail. Worked both times.

Canon will do that too, however, it's still an 8x11 pdf and takes 4 weeks!

Ingrid

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I understand and totally agree with the no manuals philosophy for my printer, scanner, Office for the Mac software, etc. I download the pdf and keep them on my computer for reference. You can't beat the search features.

But not for my cameras. I would have been really, really pissed 2 years ago if I didn't have the manual for our ultra zoom with us in China or the time in Aruba when we had to refer to it because of some very strange stuff the Elf was doing!

Ingrid

geekette

Reaction score
seems to me that this started a long time ago, mid90s. And then, whenever the cost of paper skyrocketed, manual printing became an expense that was easy to cut.

I do like manuals, especially the kind that are right-sized to take along.

so, yeah, I am absolutely as irritated!

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Print out the pages you need and take pictures of them with your camera. If needed, put them on a separate flash card. Then you'll always have them with your camera.