• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is anyone as annoyed as I am...no more manuals included

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
A good point, though I wonder how much of the cost savings is actually passed on to the consumer who doesn't need/want a hardcopy.
It will be like when airlines went from paper tickets to on-line ticketing and stopped giving out free food. Initially there was no drop in price - presumably the cost savings went to the airline. Over time, as ticketing fees were developed and the cost savings has been passed through as airlines competed with each other on the basis of air fares sans frills.

Personally I'm all in favor of the idea - I like when I can buy a base model, then add (and pay for) the sets of features that I'm most interested in.

As regards manuals, initially I liked my old paper manuals, but now n most cases I much prefer electronic versions. Even if I want a hard copy of something, it's much easier to print out and carry around only the few pages I care about instead of having the whole manual.

The only manual I can think of where I definitely want to have a full paper version is with an automobile. And even with vehicles, I would prefer to have a shorter version to keep in the car that has immediate operation and maintenance information, with a longer and more detailed version of the manual in searchable pdf format on a disk.

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have received manuals with my last few purchases. They are huge. Of course only 1/4 of the manual will be of any benefit to me.

I guess if I want to use the rest of it I will have to ask my kids, they are bilingual. I had one that was in Mandarin, French, German and of course Spanish.

The "world life" train left me at the depot. :eek:

aboonie

TUG Member
Reaction score
The same goes for computers. I you want the CD's to restore your computer in case it crashes, you need to pay for them. Now that's not cool.

geekette

Reaction score
The same goes for computers. I you want the CD's to restore your computer in case it crashes, you need to pay for them. Now that's not cool.

it's same deal: make your own.

HatTrick

Reaction score
Print out the pages you need and take pictures of them with your camera. If needed, put them on a separate flash card. Then you'll always have them with your camera.

There are free applications that will convert pdf pages to jpeg images.

Conceivably, you could convert the pdf manual to a set of images that could be copied to a flash card and viewed on your camera's LCD screen.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Never mind.

Last edited:

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are free applications that will convert pdf pages to jpeg images.

Conceivably, you could convert the pdf manual to a set of images that could be copied to a flash card and viewed on your camera's LCD screen.

I was thinking it's all just digital data, so it should be viewable by some means other than photographing. Didn't really think about a pdf to jpg app, but I guess it only makes sense that one exists.

That would seem to be the optimal solution, IMO. Thanks for mentioning it.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I was thinking it's all just digital data, so it should be viewable by some means other than photographing. Didn't really think about a pdf to jpg app, but I guess it only makes sense that one exists.

That would seem to be the optimal solution, IMO. Thanks for mentioning it.

The optimal solution would be to store the manual in the cameras memory with an embedded reader. Then you could read the manual on the LCD of the computer. As a pdf file you would be able to search the document (which you can't do after conversion to .jpg) and the overall package (reader + pdf file) would use much less memory than the jpg version.

Or you can connect the camera to a computer or a television set and display the users manual on screen.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
The optimal solution would be to store the manual in the cameras memory with an embedded reader. Then you could read the manual on the LCD of the computer. As a pdf file you would be able to search the document (which you can't do after conversion to .jpg) and the overall package (reader + pdf file) would use much less memory than the jpg version.

Or you can connect the camera to a computer or a television set and display the users manual on screen.

I should have said optimal viable solution.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can easily send any .pdf to a Kindle (not sure about Nook) via it's native .pdf reader. Simply email it to your Kindle's email address. Then it's searchable, has any imbedded graphics, is scalable.

Jim

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe the OP was stating a preference to have a small user manual for a camera. (Something you could carry with you.) I totally agree it's nice to have with a camera. And I did receive one with my little Canon digital camera I got a few years ago and I use it quite often on the road.

But--for those who are more advanced with digital cameras, I can see why you don't need or want the manual.

Other tech tools like PCs and printers, I 'got over it' a long time ago and download the manuals. Still, when I get a new toy, I like to sit down with some coffee and browse through the manual to learn how to use all the bells & whistles.

Maybe I'm just getting tired of having to be in front of a computer for so much of my life. And of course I don't want to give up TUG. :D

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
It bothers me too as I'm a manual person and like to study my new toy page by page. In those press runs, the cost of a manual is less than a quarter.

ondeadlin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't miss them. I've made the transition and now expect them to be in PDF format.

Gracey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Longboat Bay Club, Disney s Old Key West, Wyndham
I ordered a canon elph 300 on cyber monday. It is scheduled to be delivered today. I sure hope the user manual is included :doh:

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
I ordered a canon elph 300 on cyber monday. It is scheduled to be delivered today. I sure hope the user manual is included :doh:

I'd be willing to bet there won't be one. Mine was the 310. A starter booklet is included though. If you find out how to set it to AUTO mode, let me know :ponder: . Both the starter booklet and the manual tell you to set to AUTO mode, but forget to tell you what you need to do :wall: , although it is set to that now but I'm curious how it got there.

Ingrid

Gracey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Longboat Bay Club, Disney s Old Key West, Wyndham
Ingrid, you are correct it only came with users guide. No manual. I just took it out of the box and I probably won't start fiddling with it until Sunday. If I can figure it out I will let you know.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I don't miss them. I've made the transition and now expect them to be in PDF format.

I'm with you. Much rather have .pdf files in a folder on my PC than a bunch of little booklets.