• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is air travel slowly on the way back?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
It seems that air travel is slowly coming back. Daily trends are beginning to increase but still way off from YOY comparisons. I have seen Marriott exchange availability decrease in interval for holiday weeks for Aruba. The warm weather destinations in the Caribbean for vistana are all booked for Christmas week. Are people feeling more comfortable to get on a plane? Are they hearing the stories of quiet destinations without the hoards of people and going to enjoy peaceful resorts? Taking advantage of the low rates? Either way, travel needs to come back. Too many livelihoods are in jeopardy. Will we ever get to precovid numbers in 2021?

only 87K people took to the skies on 4/14!

Here are daily TSA numbers.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the answer is "No". Air travel is not on the way back. But I question the public's fear of flying. My Son and his Wife have taken two trips and my ex-wife, many as she is a Flight Attendant with a major carrier. They have had no problems whatsoever...

George

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I think the answer is "No". Air travel is not on the way back. But I question the public's fear of flying. My Son and his Wife have taken two trips and my ex-wife, many as she is a Flight Attendant with a major carrier. They have had no problems whatsoever...

George
I agree. I think it’s slowly creeping back but not anywhere near where it should be. I think more people are willing to get on a plane than they were two months ago. But, I agree, I question the fear of flying as well. People have never thought twice about a packed plane during flu season

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
I think now that people are realizing the virus is spread more airborne than by contact, they aren’t as afraid to touch all the nasty things on a plane. Now if we could just hold our breath...

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I think now that people are realizing the virus is spread more airborne than by contact, they aren’t as afraid to touch all the nasty things on a plane. Now if we could just hold our breath...
The air filtration on a plane is relatively safe. Plus if you’re traveling to a destination that requires a negative COVID test, then everyone on the flight would have tested negative

TTSDavid

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
TheTravelSecret
Although in previous years there were more flights, I see that every day there is more movement than the day before. In addition, thanks to the COVID-19, many flights and hotels have very good prices that were not seen before in this season. The fact that many places do not have so many tourists also seems to be an advantage to travel.

For sure, travel needs to come back! More and more countries are opening their borders and we are slowly adapting to this new way of traveling :)

Does anyone have a trip planned in the next months?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
For us it's not just the being on the plane. It's the whole airport experience that we are avoiding.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Although in previous years there were more flights, I see that every day there is more movement than the day before. In addition, thanks to the COVID-19, many flights and hotels have very good prices that were not seen before in this season. The fact that many places do not have so many tourists also seems to be an advantage to travel.

For sure, travel needs to come back! More and more countries are opening their borders and we are slowly adapting to this new way of traveling :)

Does anyone have a trip planned in the next months?
I have Aruba next month, then Bahamas in Dec, and Disney in Feb.

TTSDavid

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
TheTravelSecret

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
My wife flew a short on-way trip in August, we are both flying for a vacation in October and again in December. I'm not worried about the plane or the airport, as masks and other safety protocols are strictly enforced there. I think one is more at risk going to the local Walmart or grocery store. The biggest issue we are seeing right now with air travel is that flights are constantly being changed, direct flights being eliminated, etc. Makes it a bit frustrating.

Kurt

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have flown several times in the past 4 months. Last trip I was on a flight that was very crowded - no seat empty. I think most Tuggers know that I'm not concerned regarding Covid for myself. In fact, I would have no qualms flying if it were mask free. Nonetheless, the woman across the aisle from me was sucking on a large lollipop the ENTIRE flight. She was pulling her mask up and down endlessly to deal with this lollipop. Endlessly licking her fingers, touching the mask, licking the lollipop, then using the touchscreen on the seat in front of her. I was truly grossed out and revolted. I would have been revolted with this pre-covid but the mask added another level of YUK to the whole thing (eating a lollipop while masked).

So, no matter when you fly or what the circumstances there are always some interesting characters .

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
For us it's not just the being on the plane. It's the whole airport experience that we are avoiding.

For years I thought I didn't like flying -- then I figured out it was airports I didn't like. Then on further reflection I realized that the process of getting to the airport and through TSA was the issue. Living in LA put us on flights around 8am to both Hawaii and New York with American our preferred airline. That meant restless sleep the night before, up at 4am, shuttle by 5:15. Just such a horrible way to start a vacation. Covid just adds another layer to that -- no more shared shuttles for a while, that's for sure!

deniseh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Destination Points
Just returned from a 10 day trip to California from PA. Compared to a Florida flight in August the planes and airports were much busier. I felt perfectly safe regarding the covid. I’m with the poster above and feel comfortable for the most part without a mask. Of all places that a mask makes sense I guess on a plane packed with people close together would be it. It’s just strange how varied the approaches are in different states, airports, resorts, etc. In Philadelphia airport seats are blocked off in the waiting areas but we didn’t see that in other airports. So don’t sit too close in the waiting area but once you are on the plane we are all packed in next to one another. And then when you get off they lecture you about not standing in the aisle of the plane and to practice social distancing. And then at the Marriott resort the fitness centers are closed. I’m not sure why they can’t be open with appropriate precautions.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are flying next week. We will stand (like we do in church) away from people if we have to or sit in one of the empty wings/sections (bringing wipes too for seats). We have masks and face shield for the airport and plane. Will report back if we wear the shield :cautious:

There are definitely more flights. We have enjoyed our pool and backyard more this summer than any other time because of COVID. Before COVID, we would see an airplane every few minutes if not seconds. We walk every morning at the beach and I could count the seconds until I saw another plane coming out of the clouds. Then COVID hit and no planes for 30 minutes or so. Maybe more. The past few weeks, we see them again one after another. Not the same as Pre-COVID but a lot more since the shutdown. (times are estimate/just giving an idea huge, huge difference before/during & now.

(We are 30-35 minutes from Newark and about an hour from JFK - depending on traffic).

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what airports or airlines you have flown but our one and only excursion since all this crap began was on American Airlines which we flew from San Antonio to Denver, via DFW. Based on a lot of reports of near empty airports, masks, etc. we felt relatively comfortable. Oh my goodness! San Antonio airport was fine. DFW? Very busy although not nearly as busy as normal but there wasn't enforcement of mask wearing at the American Airlines gate and no real evidence of cleaning either - it was filthy!!! I have pictures of several people with no masks on sitting in the gate area.

They announced at the gate that if you refused to wear a mask you would not be allowed to board and would be banned from all future American flights. Ok....good, right? Nope! Two people without masks boarded the plane and no one said a word. After takeoff, one guy proceeded to pull his mask down, drink a beer, apparently passed out, and slept the whole way from DFW to Denver with his mouth hanging open. No one said a word.

Denver airport was a freaking madhouse with absolutely NO attempts to social distance, wall-to-wall people, masks hanging down around their throats; the tram was literally wall-to-wall people and the same with the car rental shuttle bus. We were so uncomfortable we cancelled our return flight and drove home.

Having said all that, we are flying to Hawaii for 5 weeks because we will never have an opportunity to score 5 weeks at Ko' Olina where I HOPE the crowds are still light even though they are kind of opening back up. We will keep ourselves masked up everywhere, probably bathe in hand sanitizer, and eventually just take some time to wind down after a few pretty stressful years.

My wife flew a short on-way trip in August, we are both flying for a vacation in October and again in December. I'm not worried about the plane or the airport, as masks and other safety protocols are strictly enforced there. I think one is more at risk going to the local Walmart or grocery store. The biggest issue we are seeing right now with air travel is that flights are constantly being changed, direct flights being eliminated, etc. Makes it a bit frustrating.

Kurt

jd2601

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was at Denver airport last week. Amazed at the lack of social distancing. Lines were long with little to no distancing. The plane train was packed person to person. I am in Seattle this week and have been to SFO and LAX multiple times. Denver was worst airport I have been to for crowds post COVID.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I was at Denver airport last week. Amazed at the lack of social distancing. Lines were long with little to no distancing. The plane train was packed person to person. I am in Seattle this week and have been to SFO and LAX multiple times. Denver was worst airport I have been to for crowds post COVID.
Same from my experience with CLT back in early Sept. I took a connecting flight to NYC on AA and the flight was packed. Not an empty seat. All including middle seats occupied.

Venter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Club Son Antem, Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve, Marriott Vacation Club @ Los Suenos, MVC points, Sheraton Lakeside Terrace, Sheraton Flex, Westin Flex, Aventuras
I think it depends on the route. We flew from Denver to Cancun via Houston. Both planes were completely full. I looked at possibilities of changing but all flights were unavailable for two weeks. I think shorter trips to holiday destinations are definitely picking up, but people will possibly be wary of like long haul flights for now.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
And people wonder why we're seeing a significant spike in cases all over the country, and the US is entering a "third wave."

I really want to have nice things again without causing mortal danger to others. But until we can come together and work cooperatively, it's just not going to happen.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
How did your trips turn out in the end?
Aruba worked out perfectly. Cancelled and booked Bahamas multiple times. Ended up canceling due to work. Orlando in Jan and then again in Feb