• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is a buyers deposit standard with redweek?

ranishi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am conversing back and fourth with a person through redweek regarding a timeshare I am interested in to buy. When asking her about the final closing costs and who would be responsible for paying for what she mentioned a $600 deposit that I had never heard of before and was not mentioned in the listing. Or in any other redweek ads or even with any other conversations I’ve had with redweek on the past.

Every time I asked her about the deposit she was very vague as to who it would be paid to and why was there a deposit. After 3 tries of asking different questions regarding the deposit she finally told me it was a deposit that is usually customary for the closing companies that the closing company requires a deposit of $550 but for my case it would be 600. They do this in case transaction falls through. She did not mention if it was refundable or not. I have never heard of this before. is this a standard thing that Redwick does?
This is my first attempt at purchasing a resale through them. So far, I am finding it an odd experience. They respond to my communication every 2 days

Limace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Grand Californian
DVC-Animal Kingdom Kidani
I am at the end of purchasing through Redweek and was surprised by this charge too. It is refundable and I will get it back at closing, but it’s a pain. (And I am now over 6 months from offer and not yet closed-some if that’s been the resort’s slowness but it’s been frustrating-not sure I’d buy through them again).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
RedWeek is just a web site. Since you are apparently communicating directly with a seller, I am assuming that this is a listing which is not actually being handled by RedWeek personnel, but instead perhaps involves a private seller merely using the RedWeek site to advertise their resale.

If my assumption is correct, my suggestion would be to offer to hire (and pay) a closing company of your choosing (I recommend LT Transfers). That way, your written purchase agreement will be prepared by an objective third party, who can also handle deposit and sale funds (additional $50 charge for escrow when using LTT). No risk to either party and you're not sending $600 for unspecified purposes.

And by the way, the total closing cost with LTT would be about half of this "mystery $600 deposit" that you mention.

Just a thought and recommendation as an alternative to dealing with a seller who is apparently vague in responses and short on specifics.

ranishi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! 6 months! Thanks for the input. Based on the communication I have had with the representative and how she knew less of the terms stated in the ad than I did, and the lack of prompt communication, I think I will move on. They seem disorganized at best. 6 months is far too long! I would love to know if there are any other companies that do this effectively. years ago we picked up a week in Branson. Back then the internet was not as advanced and we purchased it in an office in Seattle called Holiday Timeshares. The transaction was so easy and all done in an hour and a half with a rep at his desk. Transaction closed in just a few short weeks! I MISS those days!

ranishi

TUG Member
Reaction score
RedWeek is just a web site. Since you are apparently communicating directly with the seller, I am assuming that this is a listing which is not being handled by RedWeek personnel, but instead involves a private seller merely using the RedWeek site to advertise their resale.

If my assumption is correct, my suggestion would be to offer to hire (and pay) a closing company of your choosing (I recommend LT Transfers). That way, your written purchase agreement will be prepared by an objective third party, who can also handle deposit and sale funds ($50 charge for escrow using LTT). No risk to either party.

And by the way, the total closing cost with LTT would be about half of this "mystery deposit". Just a thought and recommendation as an alternative to dealing with a seller who is apparently vague in responses and short on specifics.
No, I have no idea who the seller is. It is all being handled by Redweek. And I’m not going to go through with it because the communication is so poor! I am not confident in Redweek at all.

ranishi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your assumption is the opposite. I have no idea who the seller is. It is all being handled by Redweek as a third party. Ive decided not to go to go through with it because the communication is so poor! I am not confident in Redweek at all.
[/QUOTE]

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, I have no idea who the seller is. It is all being handled by Redweek. And I’m not going to go through with it because the communication is so poor! I am not confident in Redweek at all.

Unfortunately, matters could have been much easier if you were actually dealing directly with a owner / seller.

Resales handled by RedWeek "agents" are often fraught with delays and problems, not least of which is a frustrating inability of the agent to answer specific questions about the "product" clearly, accurately and in a timely manner. Often, truth to tell, the "licensed agent" possesses absolutely no knowledge of the "product" in the first place; they are merely representing a seller who does not want to bother with the details and effort of selling their timeshare on their own. Many (most?) questions you ask the agent will involve the agent having to (maybe) get an answer from the owner and then (maybe) get back to you with an accurate and detailed response.....sometime. Their closing costs are also too high.

Frankly, I think you've probably made a good decision to just walk away from the frustration and delay that dealing with "RedWeek Middleman Agent" often involves.

Last edited:

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
By the way I believe LT Transfer is now charging $100 for escrow services.

foxs13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
grandview
Redweek process is the slowest ever! And yes, when purchasing a Redweek verified week, (meaning they communicate with seller for you) it is standard that a deposit is required. Deposit is to be paid directly to closing company.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
Redweek has been slow but reliable for me for several resale purchases. Agree with the 6 month timeframe which is a bummer but often I have negotiated zero or close to zero purchase and final total costs for me so I figure the wait is just part of the benefit of the low low acquistion cost.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
By the way I believe LT Transfer is now charging $100 for escrow services.

No real surprise. The escrow fee is actually charged by an attorney with whom LTT has a working arrangement to hold funds in escrow (i.e., it's not a LTT-determined fee).

Last edited:

armrecsys

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi I am trying to purchase two timeshare units thru redweek.
someI neave get and answer back. One was a 100 dollar lower then the asking price, still no answer back.
I don’t understand , redweek slow on returning request.