• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

IRS rejects plan to speed up processing, despite massive paper backlog and delayed tax refunds

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last year, 51% of IRS audits were of people making under $75,000. Guess who is going to get hit even harder when they double the number of auditors?

Brett

Reaction score

dago

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing .........................

The IRS hiring more employees, here’s who agents may target for audits
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/09/with-new-agents-heres-who-the-irs-may-target-for-audits.html

Of course, one of the best way to avoid future headaches is by keeping accurate records with detailed bookkeeping and saving all receipts.

Simple. As long as you keep good records you have nothing to fear.

Back in the 70's I was audited because of numbers that didn't jive, but they were legit. I just provided the data and everyone was happy.
When I filed that return, I figured I would get audited, because I had very little income (was laid off and married with 2 toddlers), but I had a huge deduction for property taxes and mortgage interest. I was living in Mass at the time. It was a huge red flag. How can anyone with that little income have property taxes and mortgage interest that high? Well, I did and when they sent the notice I was prepared.

As I said in an earlier post. The EIC is going to get a lot of scrutinizing. And as the article said, self-employed will also.

Last edited:

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing .........................

The IRS hiring more employees, here’s who agents may target for audits
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/09/with-new-agents-heres-who-the-irs-may-target-for-audits.html

That article quotes a political appointee trying to keep the votes in place to pass the bill in the house. He will say what he needs to say to do that.

I spent five years of my life on the legislative team of a state government department, and I am quite familiar with the sort of statements government officials will make, especially the political appointees, to get a piece of legislation passed.

Last edited:

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Last year, 51% of IRS audits were of people making under $75,000. Guess who is going to get hit even harder when they double the number of auditors?
That is a typical bogus statistic. Just doing a simple search, 53% of households had income of under $75,000, so it seems that lines up pretty good with evenly distributing audits across income levels, don't you agree?

Kurt

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
That is a typical bogus statistic. Just doing a simple search, 53% of households had income of under $75,000, so it seems that lines up pretty good with evenly distributing audits across income levels, don't you agree?

Kurt
Also it includes those claiming the EIC that is known to be a problem area and rightfully a focus of attention. The bottom line is don't cheat on your taxes and you will be fine. I have been audited a few times due to rental properties, home business, and a trust and have found them to be courteous and professional.

dago

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also it includes those claiming the EIC that is known to be a problem area and rightfully a focus of attention. The bottom line is don't cheat on your taxes and you will be fine. I have been audited a few times due to rental properties, home business, and a trust and have found them to be courteous and professional.
I would guess that the majority of the audits in that income is indeed the EIC, and maybe the child tax credit. I too have been audited more than once and found them courteous and professional.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would guess that the majority of the audits in that income is indeed the EIC, and maybe the child tax credit. I too have been audited more than once and found them courteous and professional.
Our reason for repeated audits was a daycare in the house my wife ran. Taking deductions for home expenses was always a red flag. The first 5 yrs we were audited 3 times. I made sure I had good documentation. My funny story is we supplied meals. That was very hard for us to quantify as we did not keep separate pantries. I admitted it was the best estimate I could do. The auditor said that they had a formula for meal costs and we would have to use that. He started laughing then told me he owed me 15 dollars. I am a good shopper. My wife had that business for 20 yrs and we were not audited after those first few years.

dago

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our reason for repeated audits was a daycare in the house my wife ran. Taking deductions for home expenses was always a red flag. The first 5 yrs we were audited 3 times. I made sure I had good documentation. My funny story is we supplied meals. That was very hard for us to quantify as we did not keep separate pantries. I admitted it was the best estimate I could do. The auditor said that they had a formula for meal costs and we would have to use that. He started laughing then told me he owed me 15 dollars. I am a good shopper. My wife had that business for 20 yrs and we were not audited after those first few years.
Yes the home business and rentals is a potential red flag. I don't know why everyone is making a big fuss over this. If you do everything legitimately and keep good records it shouldn't be a problem.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score

Kurt

I would agree that the IRS is going to use these new auditors to go after everybody, not just the rich as some claim.

It is also somewhat troubling for the IRS in its jobs postings to make a "key requirement" carrying a gun and being ready to use deadly force:

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would agree that the IRS is going to use these new auditors to go after everybody, not just the rich as some claim.

It is also somewhat troubling for the IRS in its jobs postings to make a "key requirement" carrying a gun and being ready to use deadly force:

After yesterday it is understandable.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
This does seem to be cause for optimism. We filed 3/15 by paper (WI state & Federal) . . . got the state refund within a month. Still waiting on the IRS, so maybe we'll have it by October 1st. Not sure how much our little $1,000 refund might get, but a little bit would be nice.

Last night I checked "Where's my refund?" and see it's now in the review process! So it looks like our refund will be under 6 months after all. YIPPEE!:cheer:

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
I would agree that the IRS is going to use these new auditors to go after everybody who cheats on their taxes, not just the rich as some claim.
I finished your statement for you. You must have been distracted by the knock at your door. ;)

MdRef

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas, Orlando

Our new I.R.S.

$80 billion in mandatory appropriations and just a little perspective. Nearly six times the annual budget, about $12.6 billion, of the current IRS.

About $45.6 billion for enforcement purposes which is more than 57 percent, almost 60 percent of this $80 billion is for enforcement purposes.

About $25.3 billion is for operations support.

Only $4.8 billion for business systems and bringing themselves into the 21st century so they can communicate with taxpayers.

$3.2 billion for taxpayer services, or 4 percent.

The Wall Street Journal makes it clear that's a legitimate concern for the middle class, writing, "The Joint Committee on Taxation, says that from 78% to 90% of the money raised from under-reported income would likely come from those making less than $200,000 a year. Only 4% to 9% would come from those making more than $500,000."

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Wall Street Journal makes it clear that's a legitimate concern for the middle class, writing, "The Joint Committee on Taxation, says that from 78% to 90% of the money raised from under-reported income would likely come from those making less than $200,000 a year. Only 4% to 9% would come from those making more than $500,000."
Again, another possible bogus statistic. You first need to ask if these percentages generally match up with the percentage of taxes that these groups don't pay or underpay the taxes that they owe. The more well off tend to use accountants to prepare their taxes -- I think it is a very good possibility that accountants make fewer mistakes and are less likely to prepare returns where there is blatant fraud (their profession careers are on the line, after all).

And we all have to remember the IRS is not stealing anything -- they are enforcing the existing tax laws and attempting to make people pay what they owe. Only someone who is a tax cheat would not see it that way, IMO. I think there is a good possibility that the extra money we are going to spend on this agency will be less than the extra money that they recover from the tax cheats in this country.

Kurt

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Again, another possible bogus statistic. You first need to ask if these percentages generally match up with the percentage of taxes that these groups don't pay or underpay the taxes that they owe. The more well off tend to use accountants to prepare their taxes -- I think it is a very good possibility that accountants make fewer mistakes and are less likely to prepare returns where there is blatant fraud (their profession careers are on the line, after all).

And we all have to remember the IRS is not stealing anything -- they are enforcing the existing tax laws and attempting to make people pay what they owe. Only someone who is a tax cheat would not see it that way, IMO. I think there is a good possibility that the extra money we are going to spend on this agency will be less than the extra money that they recover from the tax cheats in this country.

Kurt
I agree that most if not nearly all accountants would not do anything obviously against the tax code. I believe the cheating comes in from what is given to the accountants.

dago

TUG Member
Reaction score

Kurt
the tax code is riddle with loopholes that opens it up to fraud. If you are honest and everything is legit, you have nothing to worry about. This whole thing is designed to catch the cheaters. It's really nothing new. The IRS isn't out to try to get more money from you, just trying to get what is due. At the same time, the honest taxpayer is looking to pay ONLY what they are supposed to pay, nothing more than what they are required.

The way the tax code is structured, everyone loops to see where they can exploit the loopholes.
A simpler tax code would help, but that is probably not practical.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
the tax code is riddle with loopholes that opens it up to fraud. If you are honest and everything is legit, you have nothing to worry about. This whole thing is designed to catch the cheaters. It's really nothing new. The IRS isn't out to try to get more money from you, just trying to get what is due. At the same time, the honest taxpayer is looking to pay ONLY what they are supposed to pay, nothing more than what they are required.

The way the tax code is structured, everyone loops to see where they can exploit the loopholes.
A simpler tax code would help, but that is probably not practical.
I generally agree with your post, but we also have to remember that utilizing tax loopholes is not fraud. If a loophole exists and you use it to reduce your taxes, that is perfectly legal. It is up to Congress to close those loopholes if we don't want people to use them.

Using loopholes ≠ cheating.

Kurt

dago

TUG Member
Reaction score
I generally agree with your post, but we also have to remember that utilizing tax loopholes is not fraud. If a loophole exists and you use it to reduce your taxes, that is perfectly legal. It is up to Congress to close those loopholes if we don't want people to use them.

Kurt
I totally agree. I try to take advantage of any loophole I can as long as it's legal. There are legal ways to do this. What I was trying to say is people try to find illegal ways to get around the rules. some of the credits and deductions are open to fraud and congress and the IRS is aware of this. And those are the one's that the IRS should be trying to catch.
Same thing goes for Medicare. Lots of fraud going on there.

dago

TUG Member
Reaction score

Kurt
Congress has closed many loopholes.
I can remember back in the day when people use to name there dog or cat as a dependent. Congress finally caught on and now each dependent must have a SS number. I had a difficult time getting a SS number for all my dogs. LOL.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
"Specifically, I direct that any additional resources—including any new personnel or auditors that are hired—shall not be used to increase the share of small business or households below the $400,000 threshold that are audited relative to historical levels," Yellen wrote in the letter to Rettig. "This means that, contrary to the misinformation from opponents of this legislation, small business or households earning $400,000 per year or less will not see an increase in the chances that they are audited."

Enforcement resources, Yellen said, will instead "focus on high-end noncompliance."

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Specifically, I direct that any additional resources—including any new personnel or auditors that are hired—shall not be used to increase the share of small business or households below the $400,000 threshold that are audited relative to historical levels," Yellen wrote in the letter to Rettig. "This means that, contrary to the misinformation from opponents of this legislation, small business or households earning $400,000 per year or less will not see an increase in the chances that they are audited."

Enforcement resources, Yellen said, will instead "focus on high-end noncompliance."

If that is true, they sure don't need 87000 additional employees to conduct audits only for $400k+ incomes. They need to focus first on processing the 17 million returns that are sitting in their offices.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Congress has closed many loopholes.
I can remember back in the day when people use to name there dog or cat as a dependent. Congress finally caught on and now each dependent must have a SS number. I had a difficult time getting a SS number for all my dogs. LOL.
That is not a loophole, that is fraud, plain and simple. Loopholes are legal ways of avoiding taxes; claiming your pets as dependents was never legal, even before the requirement for a SS for all dependents.

Kurt