• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ironman throttled back. Hopefully gone for good in two years...

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I didn't see any mention of it going away in 2 years.:shrug:

ScoopKona

Reaction score
I didn't see any mention of it going away in 2 years.:shrug:

I don't think you realize how much the average resident wants this travesty gone for good. Also -- hopefully gone for good. Not definitely gone for good. Our county is far too corrupt to bank on them acceding to the will of the people.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I don't think you realize how much the average resident wants this travesty gone for good. Also -- hopefully gone for good. Not definitely gone for good. Our county is far too corrupt to bank on them acceding to the will of the people.

We have been through this discussion before. You feel there is a majority that wants Ironman gone and I think it is somewhere in the middle.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
We have been through this discussion before. You feel there is a majority that wants Ironman gone and I think it is somewhere in the middle.

They just axed half the event because we're sick of them. Clearly it's closer to my perspective than yours.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They just axed half the event because we're sick of them. Clearly it's closer to my perspective than yours.

Not at all. Read both articles. If it was what you say the whole event would be held somewhere else. It's still there.

I get it, you don't like it at all and many on Big Island don't also but many do.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
St George Utah will be happy to welcome them back.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place

I have no love of the iron man, and have never been to it. If Hawaii Island doesn't want to host all of it or doesn't want to host any of it that is their choice.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
Would be interested in a short summary of why it is so hated. I dislike most of the races in SF out of selfishness because they snarl the traffic but they are not hated - except Bay to Breakers which many/most? people are sick of, especially those living on the route.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Would be interested in a short summary of why it is so hated. I dislike most of the races in SF out of selfishness because they snarl the traffic but they are not hated - except Bay to Breakers which many/most? people are sick of, especially those living on the route.

Littering -- the roads are covered with the plastic bottles of goo they consume. The event lasts for weeks, not days -- they're all here well in advance to train, on roads clearly marked "do not bicycle on these roads." We don't have any alternate routes we can take when they decide to ride four-abreast on Mamalahoa Highway. And my street was impassable for days because there are no shoulders and no place for them to pull over. (My street is marked in red on the maps they're all given -- don't ride here, uphill winding dangerous roads. So of course that's where they all go.)

And they're insufferably rude. "We're paying all of your salaries! You should love us!"

The entire West side of the island shuts down on race days. And only the businesses (and AirBnbs) which profit from mass tourism do well. (Except for the servers, who invariably report being run ragged for no tips by triathletes.)

Out of all the groups who come to the Big Island, they're the absolute bottom of the barrel.

You can search Ironman on the Hawaii subreddits and read page after page of "why do we put up with this?"

Next year, I'm shutting my farm down for the month they're in town and putting a chain across my driveway. At least there will only be half the numbers next year.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
Littering -- the roads are covered with the plastic bottles of goo they consume. The event lasts for weeks, not days -- they're all here well in advance to train, on roads clearly marked "do not bicycle on these roads." We don't have any alternate routes we can take when they decide to ride four-abreast on Mamalahoa Highway. And my street was impassable for days because there are no shoulders and no place for them to pull over. (My street is marked in red on the maps they're all given -- don't ride here, uphill winding dangerous roads. So of course that's where they all go.)

And they're insufferably rude. "We're paying all of your salaries! You should love us!"

The entire West side of the island shuts down on race days. And only the businesses (and AirBnbs) which profit from mass tourism do well. (Except for the servers, who invariably report being run ragged for no tips by triathletes.)

Out of all the groups who come to the Big Island, they're the absolute bottom of the barrel.

You can search Ironman on the Hawaii subreddits and read page after page of "why do we put up with this?"

Next year, I'm shutting my farm down for the month they're in town and putting a chain across my driveway. At least there will only be half the numbers next year.
OMG. Worse than I could have imagined. Makes the 1 day Bay to Breakers look like a minor blip that lasts for a day. Even the running races don't even last the whole day. This sounds like a complete nightmare.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
OMG. Worse than I could have imagined. Makes the 1 day Bay to Breakers look like a minor blip that lasts for a day. Even the running races don't even last the whole day. This sounds like a complete nightmare.
@ScoopKona is absolutely correct. Traveling our roads for the month of the Ironman is a challenge in attempting to avoid runners, cyclists and their 'teams' riding next to them videotaping the excursion. Because of the tradwinds, all of the trash that gets thrown on the ground during this adventure, ends up far and wide with no chance of getting retrieved.

One of the other major issues is that we have developments that end up 'cut off' during the race day. There is only one entrance in and out of these developments and the county closes the road for the entire day of the race. I don't fault the participants as much as I fault the sponsors and media for making it impossible to accomodate both residents and athletes in keeping kokua both before, during and after the race.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
One of the other major issues is that we have developments that end up 'cut off' during the race day.

I neglected to mention that -- there are many people (way too many) who sleep in their car the night before the race so they can make it to work. If they didn't do that, they could be fired for no-showing.

Hell, the airport is almost impossible to get to on race days. And since tourists can't be bothered to do their homework, loads of people visit Big Island during Ironman, completely oblivious to the dystopian infrastructre hellscape they just entered.