• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ireland and Scottish highlands too similar? dreaming of Europe reopening

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The plan is to stay @ the Marriott
39 Main Street, Balluta Bay St. Julian's, Malta STJ1017 .
I have Bonvoy points that I want to use.

I really hope we can go on this trip .
Me too !! I have been looking at Radisson Golden Sands.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Me too !! I have been looking at Radisson Golden Sands.
If Europe opens up for us USers, my plan is to travel to Zurich and spend a few days in Switzerland so that my daughter & I can spend time w/her Swiss AFS host family. I would love to meet them. She wants to show me all the sights in Switzerland that were her favorites. Then we can fly direct from Zurich to Malta & plan on spending 5 days there. Malta looks so cool & interesting (except for the mosquitoes). Then a return trip home with a one night stop in Zurich again. Malta is NOT easy to get to!

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
If Europe opens up for us USers, my plan is to travel to Zurich and spend a few days in Switzerland so that my daughter & I can spend time w/her Swiss AFS host family. I would love to meet them. She wants to show me all the sights in Switzerland that were her favorites. Then we can fly direct from Zurich to Malta & plan on spending 5 days there. Malta looks so cool & interesting (except for the mosquitoes). Then a return trip home with a one night stop in Zurich again. Malta is NOT easy to get to!
Sounds wonderful! Zurich is a nice city and the train system in Switzerland is fantastic...lots of beautiful places to go. From USA, Malta is a hike...for me , not too bad... I hope we can all resume our travels soon!!!!☺

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
thanks to all. We've been to Dublin/Cork/Belfast before on a cruise, but not the West coast. I saw that AA is planning to fly next summer nonstop from KEF-PHL, so looks like Iceland might beat out Ireland for this trip.

Elaine- You can do both "I" countries in one trip if you fly Icelandair using their free stopover between the US and European cities. Several years back they were expanding their routing from the US, including CLE! But alas, that was short-lived.

For our 2015 trip we drove to Toronto to fly from there to KEF where we did our first stopever of 3 nights in Reykjavik before continuing on to CDG. Spent several nights in Paris and flew on a LCC to Southampton England for a r/t 7 night Norewegian Fjords cruise. On our return we took a train to Manchester, rented a car for 2 weeks to stay in a Yorkshire t/s and a Lakes District t/s before flying out of MAN, stopping over in Iceland for a night again, before returning to YYZ.

Today we should have been on the Jewel of the Seas with a port day in Oslo.......

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good plan! Looks like that Marriott has a great location, you can literally walk (and ferry) into Valetta, lots to see and do there plus a transportation hub. Don't miss the Hypogeum, make reservations in advance, and other pre-history sites. We got a direct flight to Malta from Vienna, probably on a low-cost carrier. This was part of a 4-wk trip across the pond and there weren't that many ways to go directly to Malta

Another easy return route could be to take a jumper flight over to Catania Sicily, cheap and plentiful (or ferry if you don't mind), spend a few days as we did in Taormina, then EasyJet has many cheap flights into Milan which historically, for me at least, has been the easiest Euro hub to find FF flights in and out of -- if you didn't want to retrace your steps back to Zurich.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
@Laurie Thank you so much! Sounds like you've been. What did you think? It just looks so cool & different! And, no, we don't need to retrace our steps back to Zurich, so these are some wonderful ideas. Thank you!

I really, really hope this trip works. I always planned to take my daughter on a Euro trip upon HS graduation. Let's hope it happens.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@Laurie Thank you so much! Sounds like you've been. What did you think? It just looks so cool & different! And, no, we don't need to retrace our steps back to Zurich, so these are some wonderful ideas. Thank you!

I really, really hope this trip works. I always planned to take my daughter on a Euro trip upon HS graduation. Let's hope it happens.
Malta *is* really different, so glad we went. We love pre-history, and there are multiple places to visit (ruins, goddess temples, and as I mentioned the Hypogeum which is older than the pyramids). And more recent history too, from early Christian, to medieval, to WWII and more - and the landscapes, the architecture, and the language with some Arabic derivation. We ferried over to Gozo too, where we visited another pre-historic site and explored some rocky coastline. Never spent any lounging beach time, we ran out of days.

I'll mention this in case you always rent a car, which we prefer to: though others have found the driving not too challenging, we did, especially since we didn't have GPS back then, and the roads were poory sign-posted; many drivers were fast and aggressive similar to Italy, plus driving is on the left. (With GPS I assume it's easier, and maybe signage is better now, this was 12 years ago.) Our rental car ended up getting scraped while we had it parked in our timeshare's parking deck. I was anxious for awhile about that, but we didn't mention at turn-in and weren't ever charged extra - probably because it's so common. We did leave it parked for a few days and used the cheap bus when possible, changing thru Valletta which is a hub of the bus system. Some of the history sites we wanted to visit were even poorly sign-posted, and bus drivers helped us find our way.

Here's hoping your trip can happen.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good plan! Looks like that Marriott has a great location, you can literally walk (and ferry) into Valetta, lots to see and do there plus a transportation hub. Don't miss the Hypogeum, make reservations in advance, and other pre-history sites. We got a direct flight to Malta from Vienna, probably on a low-cost carrier. This was part of a 4-wk trip across the pond and there weren't that many ways to go directly to Malta

Another easy return route could be to take a jumper flight over to Catania Sicily, cheap and plentiful (or ferry if you don't mind), spend a few days as we did in Taormina, then EasyJet has many cheap flights into Milan which historically, for me at least, has been the easiest Euro hub to find FF flights in and out of -- if you didn't want to retrace your steps back to Zurich.
There are flights to Munich and Frankfurt as well from Malta. Looks like alot of connections made there. Munich is a good stop off and central to many sites.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
So is Malta a small Island off the Scotttish or Irish Coast?

I am sorry if I offended anyone. But if I was searching for info on how to travel to Malta or things to do in Malta I would not search in the middle of a thread about Scotland and Ireland.

Last edited:

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
So is Malta a small Island off the Scotttish or Irish Coast?

I am sorry if I offended anyone. But if I was searching for info on how to travel to Malta or things to do in Malta I would not search in the middle of a thread about Scotland and Ireland.

It must have been a misspelling....it's the Isle of Man, not Malta! My DS has this island between Scotland and Ireland on his bucket list to see the tt race there.