• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

iPod Classic 120GB- how do you keep adding photos without erasing existing ones?

glenn1000

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I purchased an iPod Classic 120GB to load all my audio files and get rid of bulky CDs. It works great for the audio and I have so much extra space that I want to download all our photos to the iPod as well. The problems seems to be that when I sync one group of photos, then pull photos off another source to try and load them, it tells me that synching the new photos will erase the old ones.

I don't have hard drive space, without erasing a bunch of stuff I need, to place all my photos on iPhoto and do this all at one time. Is there some way around this? I'd love to be able to drag and drop but can't figure it out. :doh:

dfjkl

Reaction score
You need to turn off automatic synchronization of photos (should be able to do that under the photo tab of the ipod properties with it plugged in and itunes opened). As long as you have it setup to automatically sync everything, it will keep an exact sync of what you have on the computer. If you want to be able to delete from computer w/out deleting from ipod, you need to turn off auto syncing so you can just drag and drop photos to the ipod.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't figured out how to do that either with auto or manual sync. All the photos you want on the ipod have to be on your pc at the same time as far as I can tell.

I just add new folders to it from the photo tab in the ipod. And yeah, I don't see any way of adding individual folders or photos there without it doing a complete sync of all the photos on the ipod. (That's different from manually or automatically managing the rest of the content.)

So, what I do is manually manage everything, and when I want to add/change photos, go to the photo tab, select "sync folders from" in my case "My Pictures", then I select "Selected folders" and select the folders that contain pics I want on the ipod and hit apply at the bottom. It warns you that all existing photos will be deleted. When it's done, I uncheck the "Sync folders from" box at the top and hit apply, and it leaves all the photo content you just copied to the ipod there.

Some people do it by creating a dedicated folder on your computer for all the photos you want on your ipod and drag them all there. But they still have to be there on your pc if you ever want to add or change some of the photo content, or you will loose them from the ipod as you noticed.

What they don't have is a photo entry in the itunes library, presumably to avoid extra copies of your pictures, I guess. If they did, you would just do it the same way you manually sync everything else.

If you want to save space, you can make smaller copies of the photos you put in that dedicated directory. Try matching them to the rez of your ipod. The files will be real small. There's no reason to keep huge image files there just for the ipod.

-David

Last edited: