• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Interval Request 1st Question

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Ocean, Marriott Surfwatch, Marriott Manor Club Sequel
We have an Interval request 1st exchange request for July 24th, 2021 check in. Week we are requesting to trade also has a check in date of July 24th, 2021.
When does Interval cancel my exchange request if it doesn't match? Thank you!

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good question. I've never taken it down to the finish line because my other choices required different travel methods (plane vs. car for example). If you can drive to both places, I would think you could let it ride up until the day before. I would personally go with my original reservation and cancel the "request first" a week out to eliminate any issues.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think they do (cancel) I think they will technically try until they match or date passes. I have seen exchanges available for the day of, so I would assume the computer will keep trying until then. But they probably won't do a request first at under 14 days.

If you wait too long (< 60 day) and don't get an exchange, your week will become a late deposit with all those restrictions. And if you wait all the way down (under 14 days) you can't deposit at all, thus my assumption of 14 days.

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for your replies! I called Interval and was advised the search will continue until 4 days from check in (July 20th) and then will be cancelled. Whichever resort we end up at, we are driving so we will keep the request ongoing.

SHG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Riviera Beach and Spa, Dana Point
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC on Blvd
Hyatt Beach House
disneymom, please be aware of what rthib mentioned about your late deposit. Since you are doing a request 1st, this means you have not deposited your exchange week. This is ok, as long as you do not go past the <60 days. If you do this, your deposit will be considered a 'flex' exchange' and will only be good for 60day searches. Whereas this does not present a problem for this request, if this request does not happen and you need to make a request for the future, you will not be able to do that....

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think both her home week and request are for the same date. She is willing to go to her home resort if the exchange isn't matched. They are both drive to locations. If I understand correctly, she isn't worried about or planning on depositing if there is no match so flex change isn't a worry.

SHG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Riviera Beach and Spa, Dana Point
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC on Blvd
Hyatt Beach House
OK, got it. If that is the case, you are correct, she is good to go!

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Correct - if we don’t get matched to our request, we will vacation at our home resort. (The request is the same check in day). Thanks for the info about avoiding late deposits within 59 or 14 days. Great advice!!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have an Interval request 1st exchange request for July 24th, 2021 check in. Week we are requesting to trade also has a check in date of July 24th, 2021.
When does Interval cancel my exchange request if it doesn't match? Thank you!
As I understand it when you set up a MVC special request first you have 2 options, either stopping the search at 75 days out and return of the week or deposit and continue to search. You have the choice when you start the search. Usually II doesn't ask and then they almost always select the option to deposit at 75 days out. I guess they could have set it up as either the regular deposit first or special MVC deposit first depending on whether the Sunday were included or not and I think you have until 60 days out in the regular request first but could only search for the day before and day of your week check in. Either way I'd call and make certain they don't deposit your week at 75 days out. I don't think you'll have the option to continue to search with your week as an OGS after that but you can do manual searches afterwards if you want.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
My home resort is in Orlando and I once did a request-first deposit for another resort in Orlando because I wanted to try it. Since my flights were to/from the same airport, it didn't matter to me if I got a match or not. Then, 60 days from check-in, I got the match. I wonder if your chances improve with you hit that flex-change date.

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I called Interval again, as this made me nervous because I do not want to lose our home resort reservation and we are close to the 75 day mark. I confirmed that my home resort reservation will not be deposited and the ongoing search will continue until approx a few days before check in. He said it will not be deposited, as it is a request first. If iour exchange request doesn't match, II will send an email regarding the refund of the exchange fee. I specifically asked about the automatic depositing or returning my unit 75 days out and he said that was an option when the search was initially set up but I did not choose that option.

Any thoughts? We don't want to lose our home resort reservation. Thank you

Last edited:

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My home resort is in Orlando and I once did a request-first deposit for another resort in Orlando because I wanted to try it. Since my flights were to/from the same airport, it didn't matter to me if I got a match or not. Then, 60 days from check-in, I got the match. I wonder if your chances improve with you hit that flex-change date.
We have 2 concurrent weeks reservations (2 different resorts). If the request matches, we won't have to change resorts. We have made this exact exchange request a few times before and fortunately we matched. This is the first time I have had a request go this far out. Chalking it up to the aftermath of COVID. We will have a great vacation whether we match or not.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I called Interval again, as this made me nervous because I do not want to lose our home resort reservation and we are close to the 75 day mark. I confirmed that my home resort reservation will not be deposited and the ongoing search will continue until approx a few days before check in. He said it will not be deposited, as it is a request first. If iour exchange request doesn't match, II will send an email regarding the refund of the exchange fee. I specifically asked about the automatic depositing or returning my unit 75 days out and he said that was an option when the search was initially set up but I did not choose that option.

Any thoughts? We don't want to lose our home resort reservation. Thank you
That is not the way the rules are written under the MVC special request first section but if you've confirmed that you get the option to continue to search but get our week back later, that's great. For others reading it's common for II to automatically select the deposit at 75 days option without asking when you set up such a request first. I've seen it before where a week was deposited using this option that the member intended to get back and use if they didn't match. Did you specify check in date to be sure you don't have an orphaned day or an overlap?

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks! Great discussion!!

Yes, I placed the request initially over the phone with a specific check in date.

Do you think I should call again tomorrow? I don’t want to lose our home resort reservation. The exchange would be nice, but not necessary.

I remember in the past something about the reservation being return to us if it doesn’t match. 75 days sounds right. I was surprised to hear today that II will continue the search almost until check in.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's is the last wording I have, it's 3 years old. Historically they would cancel the request even if one deposited at the 75 day mark and you'd start all over but this appears to have changed in later wording. As I read it it's either/or get your week back at 75 days out or continue to search and deposit. You should have gotten an email when you set it up, it may delineate the info as well. As I understand it if you deposit at 75 days out it counts as a deposit at 75 days, not from the original request date. I think Barry uses this method routinely, maybe he has some additional information and experience. I might call MVC and ask them, they can liaison with II if needed.
  1. Special Marriott Vacation Club Internal Exchange Option. In addition
    to being able to request an internal exchange to a MVCI Resort using either the Deposit First or Request First exchange method, a Club Program Exchange Member choosing to relinquish a Week or Individual Member may select a third type of exchange method available only to Club Program Exchange Members choosing to relinquish a Week(s) and Individual Members (the “Special Marriott Vacation Club Internal Exchange Option”). The applicable Club Program Exchange Member or Individual Member must select from the Deposit First, Request First, or Special MarriottVacationClubInternalExchangeOptionexchangemethods at the time of initiating a Marriott Vacation Club Internal Exchange request under this section. The Special Marriott Vacation Club Internal Exchange Option may be used where a Club Program Exchange Member or Individual Member places an exchange request at least 75 days prior
    to the commencement date of his or her Week, and requests travel dates that fall after his or her assigned Week. The use of the Special Marriott Vacation Club Internal Exchange Option will be governed by the terms set forth in this Paragraph 5. If a Club Program Exchange Member or Individual Member selects the Special Marriott Vacation Club Internal Exchange Option and II does not issue a Confirmation from 12 months to at least 75 days prior to the commencement date of the member’s assigned Week, such Club Program Exchange Member or Individual Member has the following options:
    1. (a) The Club Program Exchange Member or Individual Member may request that his or her assigned Week be automatically returned to him or her for his or her own use, and that II cancel the pending exchange request.
    2. (b) The Club Program Exchange Member or Individual Member may request that II continue processing his or her exchange request and that the assigned Week be deposited with II. If this option is chosen, all rights to occupy the assigned Week are relinquished by the Club Program Exchange Member or Individual Member, andassigned to II 75 days prior to the commencement date of the deposited Week, irrespective of whether II ultimately confirms the pending exchange request. In the event such request is not ultimately confirmed by II, such Club Program Exchange Member’s or Individual Member’s deposit will be governed by the terms and conditions of the Deposit First exchange method, as set forth under Week-Based Exchange Methods.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
But isn’t the Marriott Special Request First an optional 3rd path vs a traditional Request First or Deposit First. Seems perhaps OP just did a traditional Request First request.

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
So what about you get matched to July 23 or 25. Your week will be deposited to II as flex week. Can you accpt 23 or 25.

If not, please call II and ask them to only allow July 24 ( a rep can do so).

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So what about you get matched to July 23 or 25. Your week will be deposited to II as flex week. Can you accpt 23 or 25.

If not, please call II and ask them to only allow July 24 ( a rep can do so).
My search is for 7/24/21 only check in.

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here's is the last wording I have, it's 3 years old. Historically they would cancel the request even if one deposited at the 75 day mark and you'd start all over but this appears to have changed in later wording. As I read it it's either/or get your week back at 75 days out or continue to search and deposit. You should have gotten an email when you set it up, it may delineate the info as well. As I understand it if you deposit at 75 days out it counts as a deposit at 75 days, not from the original request date. I think Barry uses this method routinely, maybe he has some additional information and experience. I might call MVC and ask them, they can liaison with II if needed.

Thank you! Now I am totally confused....did II perhaps change policy recently? I can't locate my original email with the exchange details. (I placed the request back in July.).
Is there someone I can call to get a more definitive answer?

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
@disneymom1, I suggest that you look in the ii Buyer's guide (located under clickable "Legal" at the bottom of any page. When I read it a few moments ago, I saw that the week will revert back to the owner member if not matched. I did not see any mention of it being automatically deposited. When in the Buyer's guide, do a search on "request first" (I do that using the command cntl-F). That way you can go directly to any sentence that uses "request first". I think that there are less than a dozen uses of that combination in the entire Buyer's Guide.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My search is for 7/24/21 only check in.
Did they respond back to you the they were only putting it for the Saturday? If not, they might have put the entire range of the week even if you were talking Saturday as this would be their normal procedure. I'd be certain on this point as well.
Thank you! Now I am totally confused....did II perhaps change policy recently? I can't locate my original email with the exchange details. (I placed the request back in July.).
Is there someone I can call to get a more definitive answer?
As I noted above, I'd probably call MVC at this point, they'll likely call II when you're on the line to pin things down.
@disneymom1, I suggest that you look in the ii Buyer's guide (located under clickable "Legal" at the bottom of any page. When I read it a few moments ago, I saw that the week will revert back to the owner member if not matched. I did not see any mention of it being automatically deposited. When in the Buyer's guide, do a search on "request first" (I do that using the command cntl-F). That way you can go directly to any sentence that uses "request first". I think that there are less than a dozen uses of that combination in the entire Buyer's Guide.
The buyers guide on the II website is the generic one, not the one that includes the MVC information as far as I can see even on the corporate account. The latest MVC one I have electronically is the 2018 but the information is included in print in the MVC specific II directory, what I get for the corporate account is titled "World Traveler Collection". The quote above is from the 2018 electronic version but reading over the printed version in the back of the directory, it looks the same.
But isn’t the Marriott Special Request First an optional 3rd path vs a traditional Request First or Deposit First. Seems perhaps OP just did a traditional Request First request.
It sounds pretty clear it was the MVC special request first but for the exact day of check in only and looking only for a MVC exchange it appears, either would likely have worked and the regular version might actually have been better as it'll go to 60 days instead of cutting off at 75 days based on the printed information. Changing over would likely lose her place in line though. But we all know that sometimes the rules work differently than what is actually written. But given I've seen a couple of reports of automatic deposits at 75 days out when the owner did not intend this to occur, I'd be cautious in this situation when the verbal conflicts with a reasonable interpretation of the written rules.

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just an update. We just got our match request (73 days out). Thanks everyone!

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score

Dean, this is very true and thanks for pointing it out, but shouldn't be possible in OP case. Specifically, where it says "The Special Marriott Vacation Club Internal Exchange Option may be used where a Club Program Exchange Member or Individual Member places an exchange request at least 75 days prior
to the commencement date of his or her Week, and requests travel dates that fall after his or her assigned Week." Bolded to hi-lite the part that disqualifies it. If I understand correctly, she was requesting same dates, not later dates.

But that could be terible if you got the special exchange but didn't actually request it. But I was not aware of the option, thanks!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dean, this is very true and thanks for pointing it out, but shouldn't be possible in OP case. Specifically, where it says "The Special Marriott Vacation Club Internal Exchange Option may be used where a Club Program Exchange Member or Individual Member places an exchange request at least 75 days prior
to the commencement date of his or her Week, and requests travel dates that fall after his or her assigned Week." Bolded to hi-lite the part that disqualifies it. If I understand correctly, she was requesting same dates, not later dates.

But that could be terible if you got the special exchange but didn't actually request it. But I was not aware of the option, thanks!
The special can be before or after, the regular can be before only. The only time that could be either would the the day of or prior as I'm reading it. I'm certain it doesn't exclude an exchange that occurs before the week. Of course it's only M to M also.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm certain it doesn't exclude an exchange that occurs before the week. Of course it's only M to M also.

Well, in practice perhaps, I have no idea and it sounds like you may have experience. But policy wise, the wording makes it clear that it does exclude before assigned week assuming the text is not out of date. Policies are not always followed though. But, in a dispute, I would think you would have recourse given what it says. I wouldn't hesitate to call them and get it cleared up if they assigned it incorrectly.

I hope @jme doesn't read this discussion... :LOL: