• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

hansmatt

Reaction score
Ok, maybe a little dramatic, but that's about what I'm feeling right now.
I deposited a late June 2016 Marriott Waiohai 2bedroom with II in early September 2015, knowing we would be unable to use it. In April 2016 I put in a request for June 2017 for an equivalent property (actually 12 marriott, hyatt, westin etc properties listed) on several hawaiian islands during the same week. We booked our own week for the Waiohai for the next week in June 2017 and wanted to go for two weeks (wherever we matched, then waiohai for the second week).
I've been checking, calling, and trying to get any sort of commitment from II for months now. All I ever get is the "you have one of the highest trading power weeks" and " it will fill, you have to wait for a deposit". We are now three months out. Airfaire is becoming scarce and even more expensive (from the midwest, nearly $1500pp). I am extremely frustrated and looking for any alternatives.
I know I can outright rent another week, or accept anything they might have available just to get a week there, despite taking a bath on the quality/trading power that my unit has. I have paid II fees for 12 years, using them rarely, but will not do so any longer. It appears that owners of the higher end properties are simply not depositing them, as there are much better ways of recouping your money and having the freedom to rent weeks on the open market.
I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Last edited:

AbelowDS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, maybe a little dramatic, but that's about what I'm feeling right now.
I deposited a late June 2016 Marriott Waiohai 2bedroom with II in early September 2015, knowing we would be unable to use it. In April 2016 I put in a request for June 2017 for an equivalent property (actually 8-9 marriott, hyatt etc properties listed) on several hawaiian islands during the same week. We booked our own week for the Waiohai for the next week in June 2017 and wanted to go for two weeks (wherever we matched, then waiohai for the second week).
I've been checking, calling, and trying to get any sort of commitment from II for months now. All I ever get is the "you have one of the highest trading power weeks" and " it will fill, you have to wait for a deposit". We are now three months out. Airfaire is becoming scarce and even more expensive (from the midwest, nearly $1500pp). I am extremely frustrated and looking for any alternatives.
I know I can outright rent another week, or accept anything they might have available just to get a week there, despite taking a bath on the quality/trading power that my unit has. I have paid II fees for 12 years, using them rarely, but will not do so any longer. It appears that owners of the higher end properties are simply not depositing them, as there are much better ways of recouping your money and having the freedom to rent weeks on the open market.
I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.
Similar experience for me with ongoing requests for Hawaii. Waited 18 months and just this week got my requests for the lowest demand weeks (between Thanksgiving and Christmas). The last few years (even with Starwood preference) is been a little scary for me to get my Hawaii requests.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I am sorry, that can be very frustrating. Marriott owners don't seem to be depositing much these days. It's been slim pickin's for Kauai 2 bedrooms, no matter the season. Just about six weeks ago, I finally got a 2 bedroom Marriott's Kauai Beach week for 4/1. That was a little late for me. I couldn't use it.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
[Deleted. Ads are not permitted in the TUG public forums.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Former Cruiser

TUG Member
Reaction score
I heard awhile ago that Marriott takes deposited Marriott weeks from II and gives them to Destination Club people. Marriott tells DC people they can go anywhere anytime so they have to come through. I now do Request First. That way Marriott has to give me what I want before they get my week.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
At this point, I think that your best shot would be to accept anything offered in order to secure your week, then add eplus to try to pick up a late deposit of a Marriott/Westin resort (I'm not sure if Hyatt is even showing up for trades). Marriott deposits have been coming in later and later. Obviously there's no guarantee that a better trade will come through, but this would be your best shot at getting what you want.

If you pay the $15 membership fee to join TUG, you will have access to the Sightings Board (the private board that shows recent trade sightings for Interval and RCI). You can then post a sightings request and other TUG members will try to let you know when they see something pop up.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I heard awhile ago that Marriott takes deposited Marriott weeks from II and gives them to Destination Club people. Marriott tells DC people they can go anywhere anytime so they have to come through. I now do Request First. That way Marriott has to give me what I want before they get my week.

What you heard was wrong. Marriott is not the exchange company - II is the exchange company. When you deposit a week with II, II owns that week, it does not go back to DC. When you do a Request First, II will fill the request based on what has been deposited into their inventory. II has no ability to ask Marriott to give them what you want because you have requested for it through Request First.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
What you heard was wrong. Marriott is not the exchange company - II is the exchange company. When you deposit a week with II, II owns that week, it does not go back to DC. When you do a Request First, II will fill the request based on what has been deposited into their inventory. II has no ability to ask Marriott to give them what you want because you have requested for it through Request First.

You are only partially correct. Marriott makes deposits all the time and they certainly make exchanges. They don't make all those deposits as a gift to II. They are getting something in return which is going to be other owner deposits. I am not saying I know for certain that they hand them over to DC reservations but they are definitely being utilized. If they are renting them out on Marriott.com it would be worse than providing them to the DC. There aren't too many uses for all their deposits and exchanges.

II is going to take care of one of their most valuable clients and if that means fulfilling a request for them it is going to happen.

As much as I hate to admit it II is turning into Marriott leftovers more and more each year. There are still good exchanges to be had but the chances decrease a little each year.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been making deposits, all prime time at my Resort, and have not had issues in not being able to get weeks that I want. I am also not asking for super hard to get weeks. I just got matched to a Canyon Villas week in Feb next year which was exactly what I wanted, and had to throw back a Thanksgiving week at Ko Olina for this year

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson

It's been some time since I paid close attention but, when MVC announced the DC, it was my understanding there was an agreement with I.I. that allowed Marriott to pull high value weeks from the deposits made with I.I. In return MVC would give I.I. "equivalent" value weeks to I.I. That was interpreted to mean that MVC could take a high value week and give II multiple lower value weeks as an "equivalent" exchange in value.

State side I've had no problems getting exchanges using II. I won't attempt a Hawaiian exchange until 2019. Our last II exchange into Hawaii was our 2 bedroom master suite at Grand Chateau for a March Waiohai week. It matched 12 months out. I plan to reserve and deposit our Grand Chateau week soon and make a request for any 2 bedroom on Kauai or Maui anytime in March. If it doesn't hit before 9 months before our travel date, we'll use our HGVC ownership and go back to the Big Island. This exchange attempt will give me a good idea if and/or how the exchange landscape has changed

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
State side I've had no problems getting exchanges using II. I won't attempt a Hawaiian exchange until 2019. Our last II exchange into Hawaii was our 2 bedroom master suite at Grand Chateau for a March Waiohai week. It matched 12 months out. I plan to reserve and deposit our Grand Chateau week soon and make a request for any 2 bedroom on Kauai or Maui anytime in March. If it doesn't hit before 9 months before our travel date, we'll use our HGVC ownership and go back to the Big Island. This exchange attempt will give me a good idea if and/or how the exchange landscape has changed

So whats your prognosis about II exchanges into Hawaii? Did you get filled as desired or did you find that you didn't get the Marriott match?

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
So whats your prognosis about II exchanges into Hawaii? Did you get filled as desired or did you find that you didn't get the Marriott match?

In the end, I used points to reserve the dates, size and view we wanted. Mid week flights are easier to get with FF miles and, traveling as so far (for us anyway), view was important.