• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Interval is nothing but crooks

AKC3333

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Desert Springs Villas I
I had my Hawaii vacation booked for May 2020, then I used up all my e-trades to push it to Aug 2020, all due to Covid-19 travel issues. Now I called to cancel my August plans, since the virus is still out there and nobody is really traveling and they said they can cancel it and give me 1 year re-trade from the date of cancellation. But the $154 re-trade, $59 e-trade cert, and the $99 I paid for 2-bed upgrade (total $312) - none of these will be refunded or even credited for future use. They are basically just taking this money from me for nothing. Now if I want to book in 2021, I have to pay for these items once again. Total BS. Is anyone in the same situation as me?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had my Hawaii vacation booked for May 2020, then I used up all my e-trades to push it to Aug 2020, all due to Covid-19 travel issues. Now I called to cancel my August plans, since the virus is still out there and nobody is really traveling and they said they can cancel it and give me 1 year re-trade from the date of cancellation. But the $154 re-trade, $59 e-trade cert, and the $99 I paid for 2-bed upgrade (total $312) - none of these will be refunded or even credited for future use. They are basically just taking this money from me for nothing. Now if I want to book in 2021, I have to pay for these items once again. Total BS. Is anyone in the same situation as me?

You're lucky they are offering you usage in 2021. After all, it is you who quickly consumed your three available retrades.

The best suggestion may be to cancel your Interval International membership and not have any options at all.

Last edited:

krj9999

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of people that had travel plans disrupted, and have lost out financially. It is what it is, and don't think you can "blame" Interval in this situation. I just confirmed a June 2021 week in Oahu with RCI, and all I can do there is buy Trading Power Protection (after already paying for combine fee, extend fee, exchange fee) - and if situation isn't better to travel there by then I'd have to pay another exchange fee to use the deposit (and possibly another extend fee). Actually was hoping for summer 2020, but didn't get a match (which turned out to be a fortunate turn).

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you purchased your week from Marriott, didn't they give you the opportunity to enroll it so you wouldn't have to pay those extra fees?

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
You can't blame Interval for the virus. You can still travel and resort is open in Hawaii without quarantined after July. It is you chose not to travel due to the virus, which I think is a wise choice. At least Interval provided a certificate until next summer, it's better than lost the week and fees completely.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Everyone is on the same boat as you, as these are IIs rules that we all agreed to when we signed up to use their service.

We are all in the same boat suffering from the effects of C19: lost jobs, lost businesses, lost lives, homelessness, economic destruction, lost companionship, mental issues, and lost $300 on Hawaiian vacation.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
I understand your frustration. If you work your way around their rules, you can sometimes come out ahead. I e-plused out of an August Hawaii exchange > 60 days out. Most likely that week will go unused and it is Interval's loss (exchange fee). But it was well within their rules.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Look at it from another point of view. Would you have been happy if they stuck to the rules and didnt even give you a replacement week?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Everyone want somebody else to make them whole during this crisis. That is not possible.

Somebody is left with the loss at the end of the day: Individuals, Employees, Small Businesses, Companies, Countries.

Get in line.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I can empathize. I got the certificate that won't even get me a 2 bed Marriott in Orlando for January.

Woj

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
3 marriott cypress harbour
1 marriott custom house
Cancelled our usual two week trip to Paris due to the virus uncertainty. I purchased the Interval insurance but my claim was denied as they say they do not cover fear to fly. They always have the right things to say as this is the second time in twenty five years that we purchased insurance and both times they were denied. NO MORE!

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Cancelled our usual two week trip to Paris due to the virus uncertainty. I purchased the Interval insurance but my claim was denied as they say they do not cover fear to fly. They always have the right things to say as this is the second time in twenty five years that we purchased insurance and both times they were denied. NO MORE!
If it was a getaway I believe that you will be able to get credit for another getaway (at least I received credit per their covid rules in early April). If it's an exchange then it's the certificate.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I’m sorry this happened. CI had to exchange as well since the pools were reservation only. Yet others reminded me to keep it all in perspective since I was able to exchange for another MVC property.

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score

LOL...why would travel insurance cover fear to fly???

People have such first world problems..... :rolleyes:

Woj

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
3 marriott cypress harbour
1 marriott custom house
LOL...why would travel insurance cover fear to fly???

People have such first world problems..... :rolleyes:
We are both in our 70's and are in the high risk area and flights to Paris are still uncertain! When you get in that percentile I am sure that even you will understand.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are both in our 70's and are in the high risk area and flights to Paris are still uncertain! When you get in that percentile I am sure that even you will understand.
I wouldn't expect insurance to cover fear of travel no matter how real the fear is. There is travel insurance that allows cancelation for almost any reason but it is far more expensive. In general I don't do travel insurance, extended warranties and the like. I do MVC's travel insurance simply because of the economy of scale as I get a broad amount of coverage for a controlled price. Sometimes there are special situations where travel insurance on a small scale may make sense but not as a rule.

Last edited by a moderator:

AKC3333

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Desert Springs Villas I
Regarding some of your replies here - I honestly don't want a full refund for these fees, but a credit would be nice knowing my week is with Interval and I eventually have to use it, so it's not like I'm going anywhere (meaning It's not like I am telling Expedia refund me then I go to travelocity and book with them). When I asked the rep why cant I get a credit or refund, they replied with "Hawaii is open, you can go" - meaning they don't give a s**t about you, the virus, or your travel plans. And these are fees they are taking from me and pocketing them, it is not like I went to a restaurant, ate a huge steak, then at the end of my meal I asked for a full refund, making them lose money on the steak I ate. II is 100% profiting off my fees, knowing I will have to pay these same fees next year when I book again. At least give me the credit no? Is that too much to ask for? Also, I know what is going on in the world, everyone is struggling, II needs to pay their staff, operation costs, etc. - I get that, but so are the rest of us, for them to just take my fees and just say "Its open you can go" is just wrong and Theft if you ask me.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
Regarding some of your replies here - I honestly don't want a full refund for these fees, but a credit would be nice knowing my week is with Interval and I eventually have to use it, so it's not like I'm going anywhere (meaning It's not like I am telling Expedia refund me then I go to travelocity and book with them). When I asked the rep why cant I get a credit or refund, they replied with "Hawaii is open, you can go" - meaning they don't give a s**t about you, the virus, or your travel plans. And these are fees they are taking from me and pocketing them, it is not like I went to a restaurant, ate a huge steak, then at the end of my meal I asked for a full refund, making them lose money on the steak I ate. II is 100% profiting off my fees, knowing I will have to pay these same fees next year when I book again. At least give me the credit no? Is that too much to ask for? Also, I know what is going on in the world, everyone is struggling, II needs to pay their staff, operation costs, etc. - I get that, but so are the rest of us, for them to just take my fees and just say "Its open you can go" is just wrong and Theft if you ask me.

Sorry to say but they are not wrong. You do have a choice to go if you want, the risk you take is up to you. They did their job, providing you a trade and three retrades. That's what you paid for and that is what you got. It is not based upon you going - what you do with a week is purely up to you. You could gift it to someone if you wish, but at the end of the day is hard to fault them for doing what they said they would do under the terms of their services.

I had to do the same thing and just paid the fees. You will see though that you won't have to pay for upgrade fees though. I upgraded to a 3 br at the Grand Chateau and my cancellation week, I didn't have to pay upgrade fees. Like everyone else has said, we have all suffered losses, including Interval. Anything they provide extra to you should be viewed as a bonus not an expectation. The virus is not their fault.

The terms of trading and costs were clearly outlined and I don't see why they have to take the loss when they are providing exactly what they promised. You are changing your travel plans and that comes at a cost just like changing your airline ticket. Guaranteed the airlines aren't changing it for free.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that the fee to upgrade to 2bedroom should be transferable.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

You are lucky you only lost $312.That is nothing in the big picture compared to what everyone else is losing. You used the e-trades so you got something out of it so they are not taking money for nothing.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry to say but they are not wrong. You do have a choice to go if you want, the risk you take is up to you. They did their job, providing you a trade and three retrades. That's what you paid for and that is what you got. It is not based upon you going - what you do with a week is purely up to you. You could gift it to someone if you wish, but at the end of the day is hard to fault them for doing what they said they would do under the terms of their services.

I had to do the same thing and just paid the fees. You will see though that you won't have to pay for upgrade fees though. I upgraded to a 3 br at the Grand Chateau and my cancellation week, I didn't have to pay upgrade fees. Like everyone else has said, we have all suffered losses, including Interval. Anything they provide extra to you should be viewed as a bonus not an expectation. The virus is not their fault.

The terms of trading and costs were clearly outlined and I don't see why they have to take the loss when they are providing exactly what they promised. You are changing your travel plans and that comes at a cost just like changing your airline ticket. Guaranteed the airlines aren't changing it for free.
This would be my view as well, II is losing and so is everyone, though some losing more than others. The OP made additional choices and added to the risk by trying to make this vacation happen and not kicking the can down the road far enough to make the vacation workable.

AKC3333

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Desert Springs Villas I
Agree to disagree I guess. Of course its my choice to go, but who in their right mind is traveling right now? You do realize this pandemic situation, companies aren't really going to their fine print terms and conditions and saying oh well your loss. Companies are doing what they can to help everyone out. And FYI, I had flights booked through Expedia, I received full refund back to my CC, no questions asked. II won't even give me freaking credit. And I used the retrades to push the date later due to this pandemic thinking it would be over by then, not because I wanted to retrade for my own enjoyment. I don't know, maybe it's been my luck I guess, that every company I have dealt with they have been willing to help out and not just tell me "you bought it, its your problem now".

And to quote the "I don't see why they have to take the loss" - Why are they taking a loss? I have to pay the $300 again. I asked for credit, not a refund for them to take a loss. What you are saying is that since there is a pandemic and everyone is hurting and there are terms and conditions, II is okay to charge their customers twice for one service? So... if you had concert tickets to a show this summer and you call the ticket company for a refund or credit, and they tell you oh we have a new show date in 2021, but guess what you'll have to pay for that show, and oh also we are keeping your payment for the first show offering no refund or credit. That is basically what II is doing.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
So... if you had concert tickets to a show this summer and you call the ticket company for a refund or credit, and they tell you oh we have a new show date in 2021, but guess what you'll have to pay for that show, and oh also we are keeping your payment for the first show offering no refund or credit. That is basically what II is doing.

If the concert is cancelled why should they keep my money and not refund me? II did not cancell your reservation and the resort is open for check ins. If resort was closed to guests then you should get your fees back. Resort is open and it is your CHOICE to not go. Why should II and the membership subsidize YOUR CHOICE?

Actually you are saying there is a concert that you bought tickets to and then decided not attend because of the pandemic. The concert is going on as planned but you decided to not attend. There is new concert next year, according to your theory, you should get free tickets to new concert because you decided not to attend the first concert.

By the way, we did not change our summer vacation plans to Orlando and Southern California (two of the hottest spots for covid outbreaks). We flew and kept as conscious as possible of our surroundings. Did what was available and made the best of it. Wore masks in the florida humidity and carried lots of hand sanitizer. Never in my mind would I ask II for a refund, if my decision was not to go because of covid. I believe in taking responsibility for my decisions and actions. I guess in this day and age, if you dont get your way, someone else is the villian syndrome.

We also had to endure a 14 day quarantine on arrival back home because we visited those states.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk