• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Interval international won’t give me a future credit for a Getaway purchase.

Mrs. Duckworth

TUG Member
Reaction score
I booked a Getaway to Palm Desert Westin Desert Willow Villas, for Sept 11-18-2020 through Interval International last December 2019. I bought the additional Allianz Travel Insurance to cancel if necessary; this was well before COVID 19. Now I’m supposed to travel this Friday to Palm Desert but I’d prefer to cancel because of COVID. I read through the insurance policy and even though this was well before COVID, the policy states that epidemics aren’t a valid reason to cancel. I called Interval and they won’t give me any options like, credit for future travel. I paid $501 for the one week getaway and an additional $30+ for the insurance. While this is not a lot of money, I hate to just walk away from $500. Is this just the downside of purchasing a getaway from Interval? Does anyone have any suggestions how I can get some sort of credit? Or any suggestions how I might do this differently next time?
Thanks so much, for any advice you might have.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Basically if the resort is open and travel is open they're not gonna refund or credit you anything. Kind of just the way it goes.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but that's the way Getaways work. I was out FOUR Getaways this summer, so I know how you feel, Mrs. Duckworth.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I booked a Getaway to Palm Desert Westin Desert Willow Villas, for Sept 11-18-2020 through Interval International last December 2019. I bought the additional Allianz Travel Insurance to cancel if necessary; this was well before COVID 19. Now I’m supposed to travel this Friday to Palm Desert but I’d prefer to cancel because of COVID. I read through the insurance policy and even though this was well before COVID, the policy states that epidemics aren’t a valid reason to cancel. I called Interval and they won’t give me any options like, credit for future travel. I paid $501 for the one week getaway and an additional $30+ for the insurance. While this is not a lot of money, I hate to just walk away from $500. Is this just the downside of purchasing a getaway from Interval? Does anyone have any suggestions how I can get some sort of credit? Or any suggestions how I might do this differently next time?

I wouldn’t be overly concerned about Covid in Palm Desert. We are headed there in October, so I have been tracking the cases and deaths in three of the local cities we frequent while in the area. The cumulative numbers to date are as follows:

Palm Desert: cases= 973; deaths= 51
Rancho Mirage: cases= 229; deaths= 23
La Quinta: cases= 752; deaths= 18

Cities of Palm Springs and Indio are higher, but we will stay away from those.

Granted the population size of these cities is smaller, so the numbers are partially due to that. So, consider pretending you are home and practice social distancing, wash your hands, etc. and enjoy your time there. That’s what we are going to do.

Best regards.

Mike

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I wouldn’t be overly concerned about Covid in Palm Desert. We are headed there in October, so I have been tracking the cases and deaths in three of the local cities we frequent while in the area. The cumulative numbers to date are as follows:

Palm Desert: cases= 973; deaths= 51
Rancho Mirage: cases= 229; deaths= 23
La Quinta: cases= 752; deaths= 18

Cities of Palm Springs and Indio are higher, but we will stay away from those.

Granted the population size of these cities is smaller, so the numbers are partially due to that. So, consider pretending you are home and practice social distancing, wash your hands, etc. and enjoy your time there. That’s what we are going to do.

Best regards.

Mike
Agree with this. We just got back from Tahoe and for the most part I felt very safe. We drove ourselves, brought our food for the week in a cooler, did activities that limited our contact with others (hiking, biking, kayaking) and stayed in our unit instead of eating out. It was different, but fine. I would have done the exact same thing at home. Of course nothing is 100% safe and everyone has a different tolerance level. But as for Interval, I wouldn't expect them to offer anything as the resort is open and is taking covid precautions.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think they are a little more lenient if you are coming across international borders or to/from states with long quarantine periods but in the OP's case it is within the same state, resort is open and no essential travel only orders within the state so Interval isn't go to offer anything.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
How could a travel insurance policy cover someone not wanting to travel? They would go bankrupt overnight.

Last edited:

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
How could a travel insurance policy someone not wanting to travel? They would go bankrupt overnight.

They do, it's called CFAR = Cancel for Any Reason, and typically only covers 75% of non-refundable costs. The cost of the policy (vs. a comprehensive policy) is typically 2-3x the price (ie: a Comprehensive policy costs $100, the CFAR would cost $200-300).

And also you typically have to cancel 24-48 hours BEFORE the trip is scheduled to take place (to invoke the CFAR portion).

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
They do, it's called CFAR = Cancel for Any Reason, and typically only covers 75% of non-refundable costs. The cost of the policy (vs. a comprehensive policy) is typically 2-3x the price (ie: a Comprehensive policy costs $100, the CFAR would cost $200-300).

And also you typically have to cancel 24-48 hours BEFORE the trip is scheduled to take place (to invoke the CFAR portion).
Can you purchase this policy thru II ?

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn

Well I guess it does and it doesn't as it doesn't cover 100% and costs 200-300% more. At those rates I guess they can stave off bankruptcy, but I'd suspect COVID has to be testing their actuarial model. I am curious if they are still selling these policies.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you purchase this policy thru II ?

AFAIK, no. Although if you're getting a getaway (cash booking, basically), there's no point to use II insurance, IMO. Now, if it were an *exchange* then it's a different story as typically third party (insuremytrip, squaremouth) policies don't cover timeshares, just actual money you paid for the vacation.

I live in NY where we can't get CFAR policies period (even though the Governor announced a few months ago he was lifting the ban - no insurance company offers it here).

Last edited:

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well I guess it does and it doesn't as it doesn't cover 100% and costs 200-300% more. At those rates I guess they can stave off bankruptcy, but I'd suspect COVID has to be testing their actuarial model. I am curious if they are still selling these policies.

A lot of companies temporarily stopped issuing them immediately after COVID. However, if you go to insuremytrip.com (depending on your state - us NY can't get CFAR) you can see how many policies there are with a CFAR option and find the pricing. Costs vary by age and insured amount, typically.