• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Interval Exchange Request

toddvb20

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi. I did my first exchange request with the "request first" option. How long does the request "hang out there" before they either fulfill or let the request expire.

Thanks!

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi. I did my first exchange request with the "request first" option. How long does the request "hang out there" before they either fulfill or let the request expire.

Thanks!

There's no way to really know how long it will be until a match shows up. Depends on the resort you requested an exchange for, the date ranges, the size of the unit, what your deposited week you're using for Exchange is, and how far in advance it is (ie, there's some resorts you have to put a request in 2 years in advance to even have a hope of getting into).

I'm not sure about the expiration date of a request. I think it's based on the expiration date of the deposited week.

Otherwise, it stays active until you cancel the request, AFAIK. (ie, if there's no match, and it hasn't expired, you can cancel it, otherwise it remains active, AFAIK).

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks!
Hi Todd
What are you searching for? You need to also search online each day to get to know which resorts are possible and which ones never show up.
Where do you own? Did you deposit a high demand week?

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Todd,
With exchanges, you put your request in BEFORE the inventory is available. Your request will 'hang out there' until the week you want is deposited AND your deposit has a high enough trading power AND you are first in line, etc. Whether the week is ever deposited is up to the owner of that week. They can choose to use it, rent it or exchange it. So it's a combination of the owner deciding to deposit and your week being better than the week others have deposited. That is why searching frequently, as well as reviewing the Sightings forum here, really helps to understand if what you are requesting is realistic.

toddvb20

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all! I think I have it figured out. One more question though. Does interval update their website every day at a certain time or does it get updated multiple times during the day

thanks!

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all! I think I have it figured out. One more question though. Does interval update their website every day at a certain time or does it get updated multiple times during the day

thanks!
I find that II updates their inventory several times a day, but the time that I've seen the most availability has been around 3:00 a.m. PST. However, with additional cancellations and developer deposits during the day, I've been successful in finding an exchange, just by chance, in the afternoon, and even once at 9:00 p.m. PST! Good luck with your request and your searches! CJ

toddvb20

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw a posting on the sightings forum that listed a property on interval. I did a search on interval and it did not appear. Does this mean that my unit does not have enough power or did someone else pick it up? Is there a way to know?

Thanks all!!

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw a posting on the sightings forum that listed a property on interval. I did a search on interval and it did not appear. Does this mean that my unit does not have enough power or did someone else pick it up? Is there a way to know?

Thanks all!!

It could be either - if you go back to the week you saw on sightings reply to it and ask if still available. Others will check. If they can still see it and you can't, it would be a trade power issue. If you want to tell us what resort, size unit and week you deposited and some of the things you are looking for, we should be able to let you know if you have a decent chance or not for the exchange.

toddvb20

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does an ongoing search = vacation exchange request? If they're not the same thing, what is the difference?

Also, I hope to trade into one of the Hawaii VSE resorts with a 1 BRD premium SDO. I would like to travel Oct-Nov 2021. How soon do I need to make the request?

Thanks!

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does an ongoing search = vacation exchange request? If they're not the same thing, what is the difference?

Also, I hope to trade into one of the Hawaii VSE resorts with a 1 BRD premium SDO. I would like to travel Oct-Nov 2021. How soon do I need to make the request?

Thanks!
Have you deposited your unit already, or are you using the "request first" option? I prepaid my 2020 MFs in January of this year, and deposited the small 1-BR of WKV. However, I needed to wait until June, which was 2 yrs. prior to the desired exchange dates to place an OGS (ongoing search) for WKORVN for the summer of 2021. (I requested WKORVN, because I wanted to avoid the parking lot view of WKORV.) Since you would like to travel in Oct.-Nov., 2021, it should be a fairly easy trade. Making an early deposit results in a higher spot in the queue than that of someone who deposits or makes a request later in the year. (Previously I deposited my unit in January of 2017, and the request for the summer of 2019 and was matched in Sept. of 2018.)

So, if your plans are fairly solid, go ahead and deposit your SDO unit, and place your OGS. However, if your plans might change, you can still place an OGS using the request first method. Alternatively, you can always modify your request, even if you use the deposit first method. Good luck! CJ