• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Internet working because Cold War-era pioneers designed it to handle almost anything

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The internet is by far the most important technology achievement in my lifetime (56 years)

plpgma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Palm-Aire
it's an amazing piece of technical engineering -- and 100% Built in the U.S.A.!

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
The internet is by far the most important technology achievement in my lifetime (56 years)
That is an interesting point to consider.
Of course, the question of what does one define as technology is going to enter into this as well.
With all this free time we have, I will have to ponder on this for a bit....

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
That is an interesting point to consider.
Of course, the question of what does one define as technology is going to enter into this as well.
With all this free time we have, I will have to ponder on this for a bit....
Just consider COVID 19 and how we would be working or not working remotely without the internet. I suppose we would still have phones and texting.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Just consider COVID 19 and how we would be working or not working remotely without the internet. I suppose we would still have phones and texting.
Fax machines (and telex before that).

CDs and DVDs and memory sticks. As recently as ten years ago that was the only way to move large files. Heck, I remember when the 4.5" floppy disk (that stored less then 1 Mb) was replaced by the small plastic disks that fit in a shirt pocket.

The printed page. Fifteen years ago I used three-ring binders to submit my 200- to 300-page reports and applications. Spend half of a day at Kinko's, printing, copying, collating, punching, and assembling. Now that's all done electronically with PDF files.

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great topic. We could still be using the same dial-up over copper wires. But instead, my smartphone is notifying me, right this instance, that a kitty cat is crossing my front yard. How can you live without that?

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As long as we are giving credit to WWII era pioneers and their work that much later led to some modern day technology: Hedy Lamarr and her frequency hopping innovation (originally for secret messaging during WWII) which today allows for secure WiFi, GPS systems, and Bluetooth.

Link to one of many articles on topic