• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

International Living

rosebud5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Been reading about retiree's buying property outside the US to include all the pro's and con's about it. Costa Rica, Panama, etc.

Anybody else give it a look?

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Yes. First rule is similar to TUG's: Try it before you buy it. Real estate is EASY to buy and much harder to sell. Rent at least six months first.

Rule #2 is you have to speak the language, or be willing to learn it fast, or you will not be happy, and will probably be taken advantage of.

And for me, rule #3 is: the medical system may be iffy, and at it's best it is not World Class.

There are many websites and dozens of books on this subject. The ones I like about Costa Rica are arcr.net and amcostarica.com . But I think Costa Rica is losing out to Panama, as CR becomes wealthier, prices rise, and drug cartels move in. Some people like Nicaragua.

normab

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Have been on the website among others, have actually visited Panama, and have read alot. Based on our family situation, DH and I don't think we would ever buy property in a foreign country, despite some of the attractive incentives especially in Panama. We might, however, rent for a while at some point and who knows where that would lead.

I agree that you need to be willing to learn the language. Hablas espanol?

One discussion we had--we have concerns about the direction health care in our retirement--(What will happen in our gap years? What is the future of Medicare? Will the government start to limit what procedures will be covered?) Due to the unknown future, we have discussed the possibility of having medical or dental procedures in other countries, where the doctors are US trained, and it would cost significantly less than here in the US. (There are other countries that have state-of-the-art medical care.)

The future holds lots of unknowns, so we never say never. Depending on your situation, it could work for you. There are certainly plenty of ex-pats who are very happy.

Norma

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is something I think alot about. Probably not buying property, though.

Sometimes I think I'd like to spend a year or so living in various different countries, perhaps teaching English part time. Japan, the Philippines, Indonesia, India. Perhaps Eastern European countries, South America??? The world is so big and retirement (especially active retirement) is so short!

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
International Living is worse than timeshare salesmen.

American citizens have less incentive to move to low tax countries. A lot of banks will not touch US citizens because of all the extra paperwork and risk.

Not sure why people always want to knock non-US medical care. At the top I would agree the US is great..

Last edited: