• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Interesting observations for short term trading recently RCI, II, HGVC

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Interesting observations. Short term trading was a bit different this year for me. Was it just because RCI and II didn’t get the cancellations or are they opting to rent them instead? Just makes me wonder. Maybe I just missed seeing things.

Each year, for the winter, I have my timeshares booked but always look to see if I can get something better last minute when someone cancels.

Years prior I have successfully found Key West, Marco Island, Bonita Springs, Fort Myers and DVC. I have had success in both II and RCI.

Normally RCI has many choices. This year it was different, very few and two days prior to a check in nothing was available when I looked, nowhere in Florida. II usually has very few choices but great things have popped up last minute, this year not. II always had Orlando available until the last day. And yes great things to me can be different for others. For me it is southwest Florida. II did have a few pop up for the Marriott in Fort Lauderdale, and RCI had DVC Saratoga at 11 TPU’s.

Where my success occurred this year was with the HGVC system. I was actually surprised. Not only was I able to get South Seas at Captiva, I also got Sunset Cove in Marco Island with short notice. I also noticed other gulf Florida weeks that I posted on tug. Thinking it out, HGVC gets a cancellation and it goes back into inventory for the members, no outside renting can occur.

Of course I looked often, multiple times a day, on all the systems.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
The economy is strong and more people can afford travel, thus demand is up and cancelations are down, especially at the top-shelf destinations and resorts you are looking for.

This is also true for traditional hotels and airfares, both of which are up. Rentals of timeshares are also commanding a lot more money.

I also read recently that the travel industry will be benefiting from baby boomers retiring and having more time to travel.

Keep Traveling

TUG Member
Reaction score
My example has been somewhat similar. Normally trades that I would easily get have been much harder or required for Trading Power than before. My march items never matched so I still don't have spring break plans. June I have really seen any options yet either. Normally I would only be looking at 2021 stuff at this point.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My example has been somewhat similar. Normally trades that I would easily get have been much harder or required for Trading Power than before. My march items never matched so I still don't have spring break plans. June I have really seen any options yet either. Normally I would only be looking at 2021 stuff at this point.
Same here, by now I would be looking at 2021. I just booked a studio for March that was in open inventory as nothing I requested yet had matched. I took eplus to use if something else matches in II or RCI. Will keep checking hgvc as that will probably be my best chances.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I use RCI Points for some last minute bookings around me ... stuff that is usually easy to get into. For the stuff I look at, they don’t let you book closer than 3 days out. If I want a Friday night check in, I am out of luck if I don’t book it by the end of the day on Tuesday.

Normally RCI has many choices. This year it was different, very few and two days prior to a check in nothing was available when I looked, nowhere in Florida.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I use RCI Points for some last minute bookings around me ... stuff that is usually easy to get into. For the stuff I look at, they don’t let you book closer than 3 days out. If I want a Friday night check in, I am out of luck if I don’t book it by the end of the day on Tuesday.
That is probably why I didn’t see anything, didn’t realize RCI is 3 days out.