• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 29 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Come check it out for a chance to win a Free TUG membership (or renewal) just for helping out!

Read more here
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $18,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $18 Million dollars
  • Our 2022 Timeshare Survey is now complete and the full results as well as our expert and witty analysis of each question is available here: Here We hope you enjoy reading the results as much as we did!
  • Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! 50,000+ subscribers! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Interested in High Sierra Lodge. Question on resale in redweek

saintbpa

Reaction score
A newbie here. Thanks for providing me learning materials about timeshare systems like HRC, MVC and DVC for a couple of months.

Among HRC resorts, I have an interested in HSL since I can go there by 4hrs drive.
I found something odd looking at Redweek resale and HRC point charts. HRC's summer platinum weeks is 1.5x more expensive than winter diamond weeks (51/52) in redweek resale listing, like $20k vs. $30k approximately. Is it usaual? Is it because summer is more preferrable in Lake Tahoe? I like slightly more summer in Lake tahoe, but the price and the points of diamond weeks makes me reluctant to pick summer platinum weeks. What whould you choose?
I'm also curious about availability of Northstar for a non-peak weekend in March with CUP points. I have no way to know until I become a HRC owner. Anyone has ideas? I would ask again in Sep., 6 months prior to March :) That would be a big factor for deciding HRC vs. MVC. Thanks!

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found something odd looking at Redweek resale and HRC point charts. HRC's summer platinum weeks is 1.5x more expensive than winter diamond weeks (51/52) in redweek resale listing, like $20k vs. $30k approximately. Is it usaual? Is it because summer is more preferrable in Lake Tahoe? I like slightly more summer in Lake tahoe, but the price and the points of diamond weeks makes me reluctant to pick summer platinum weeks. What whould you choose?
Not unusual. Summer weeks are tough to trade internally for and in high demand - easily rentable because of the proximity to the Hyatt hotel beach area and it has air conditioning (which not all timeshares in North Tahoe do). Winter diamond 51/52 weeks are easier than summer weeks (IMHO) to trade internally for -- note: not an easy trade, but easier -- probably because they are worth a full 2200 points in trading power and judging by Redweek listings anecdotally, not a slam dunk rental for profit. Also, HSL is not ski in ski out and has only a shuttle to Diamond Peak which some skiers would not be happy with (both for the quality of snow as it sits lower in elevation than Mt. Rose up the road, and variety of terrain).

I'm also curious about availability of Northstar for a non-peak weekend in March with CUP points. I have no way to know until I become a HRC owner. Anyone has ideas? I would ask again in Sep., 6 months prior to March :) That would be a big factor for deciding HRC vs. MVC. Thanks!
Pre-Welk integration -- good luck with finding Northstar in CUP. There is so little inventory that was pure Hyatt before it got sold off and it is not easy to find. Post-Welk integration... only time will tell.

boraxo

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa Resorts (Mexico); considering Hyatt
Easy. I’d wager most summer people use their unit or rent it for $800/night and make a nice profit. So the weeks are way more valuable and it is very tough to trade into summer. Winter I do not seem to have any problem finding inventory when I want to use CUP points which suggests that at least some % are released back into inventory by the owners.

Sharkie is right about Northstar. The only time I have found space there is Welk preview offers or rooms for sale at Hyatt.com. Never for CUP points.

sunski

Reaction score
Agree with what has been mentioned previously. Summer weeks in Tahoe are generally more in demand than winter ones especially if there is access to a private beach nearby. This is true for Tahoe resorts other than Hyatt as well. Unless you plan to occupy your week every year or want to be in the rental business, I'm not sure why anyone would consider paying a premium for one of these weeks. If you just want to stay there a couple of days/year, you can, for sure, get points for less money and/or lower MF.

Also keep in mind that you can split your week into 2,3, or 4 days but each reservation after the first one has a $41-$47 booking fee and a $39 split week fee (except Carmel and Northstar)

I am relatively new to my Hyatt ownership as well, but I would guess that many people put in waitlist requests, so it feels somewhat hard to realistically gauge what inventory may be available using CUP points just by looking at leftover inventory. March is prime ski season, so for Northstar I believe you would be in platinum and would most likely need to request on a WL to possibly get anything. I have seen ongoing availability during spring and fall though and a couple early December nights, so you can get in there at other times of the year. I also see some Dec/Jan/Feb stays at HSL but have only spotted one July two night stay make it into open inventory this summer during my random searches.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am relatively new to my Hyatt ownership as well, but I would guess that many people put in waitlist requests
FYI as a new owner, the waitlists for Hyatt don't always work. You can see posts about this if you do a search in the Hyatt forum. It hasn't worked for me and it seems account specific but no one can really say why when I call. YMMV.

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI as a new owner, the waitlists for Hyatt don't always work. You can see posts about this if you do a search in the Hyatt forum. It hasn't worked for me and it seems account specific but no one can really say why when I call. YMMV.
Can you be more specific about “waitlist doesn’t work?” Do you mean you can’t enter waitlist requests on your HRC owner’s dashboard, or do you mean some people’s waitlist requests never seem to get filled while others’ do?