• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Insurance for foreign travel

philemer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
Rest up my friend. Sorry to hear about this experience. We also buy travel ins when taking trips outside the US. We use insuremytrip.com So happy you have it. Give Paula a hug from us.

Phil/Sue

PS I lived in Wurzburg from 1962>1964. If you need a translator I know a guy who lives there.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rest up my friend. Sorry to hear about this experience. We also buy travel ins when taking trips outside the US. We use insuremytrip.com So happy you have it. Give Paula a hug from us.

Phil/Sue

PS I lived in Wurzburg from 1962>1964. If you need a translator I know a guy who lives there.
I have met a lot of former GIs here. And my roomie is a retired doc from Kitzington just upriver. He remembers well when whole units here (looking for the evil empire- times change!?!) Shipped out to Ft Bragg and Viet Nam and the folks never saw their friends and neighbors again. I paid a revisit to where I was stationed in Ulm. Not far away.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Jim, my wife flew with a portable Inogen O2 concentrator. Worked fine for her on flights of up to 6 hours on two sets of batteries. I’m sure Biz Class has a power outlet so a longer flight home (including milling around time to/from/in terminals, customs etc, etc) can be handled.

I doubt your German expenses will be in the 100000€+ level. Total for my wife’s hosipital stay of three or four days for pneumonia in Bonn ICU were around $5000 total IIRC, covered by my health insurance. Of course the heart complications will add up but not until you get home:rolleyes:

Best wishes for a safe trip home and recovery.

Cheers

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Whoa Jim and Paula! What an experience! So sorry you missed the rest of your river cruise but thankful that you landed in good hands. If this had to happen, at least it happened in a medically advanced country even if there is no A/C in the old building. I always go home from my travels being thankful for American plumbing and heat and air! Thanks for the reminder of how important travel insurance is. Need to check on our upcoming trip. I know we have some but not sure that it extends beyond the cruise portion of our trip. Hope all goes well and you'll get to go home soon.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe we should call this Jim 's foreign health fiasco or something. Today, I started with a heart CT scan to be followed by a heart ultrasound. I am on diuretics and there was a small incident on the CT cradle you lay on. Don't ask.

Meanwhile, Paula is working the insurance side. These companies are all separate, and their claims are handled by other 3rd party companies. For instance as soon as I left the AMA ship their claims outfit was notified, a claim number was assigned. But we had not bought travel insurance from them. Remember, we bought from squaremouth.com, a policy issues by Global Alert. So after hearing from some of these over the last 4 days, it's apparent that there is a communication kerfuffle. She tells me that now she has spoken with a nurse who understands the diagnosis and treatment, and agreed that a nurse accompaniment all the way home is appropriate. Our policy limits are $250,000 medical and $250,000 evacuation. We will make a dent in this, I think.

More as it develops

Jim

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim, my wife flew with a portable Inogen O2 concentrator. Worked fine for her on flights of up to 6 hours on two sets of batteries. I’m sure Biz Class has a power outlet so a longer flight home (including milling around time to/from/in terminals, customs etc, etc) can be handled.

I doubt your German expenses will be in the 100000€+ level. Total for my wife’s hosipital stay of three or four days for pneumonia in Bonn ICU were around $5000 total IIRC, covered by my health insurance. Of course the heart complications will add up but not until you get home:rolleyes:

Best wishes for a safe trip home and recovery.

Cheers
Thanks. This is good information. I had been concerned about getting a concentrator that would only work on 230v European power. Now, it seems like I may have a nurse with who would be equipped.

I was asked by my retired German doctor room mate (here for a stent) if I came here to save money? I said it was just luck. He told me that this is the pre-eminent heart teaching center in Germany. The head is my doc, all his underlings call him, "The Professor" and he has American patients who fly to Europe every couple years for a checkup. He trained at LA's Cedars Sinai hospital.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We had a retired couple who rented our rental home for a month. They told us what had happened to them when they traveled to Israel, which was top on their bucket lists, more than a year after the wife had open heart surgery. Once there, she experienced some problems and was taken to one hospital only to be transported to the top one in the country. The doctors told the husband that his wife was in critical condition and needed a difficult open heart surgery with only a small chance of success. He said that if there was anyone who would want to see her before she passed away, the husband should send for them immediately. Her children, spouses and grandchildren were flown to Israel. On Medicare, they had no insurance for foreign travel and her husband was told that he must pay up front, no credit cards, no checks. A cash money transfer was the only thing they would accept. And there was little time if she was to survive. I can't remember the exact amount we were told, but it was in the hundreds of thousands of dollars initially with more to come. He came up with it and the surgery was successful but she had a long rehab in front her and they would not let her travel home. She remained in Israel for a month or longer. Her husband had to rent an apartment for himself. When the time came that she could return, they were told that a doctor must accompany her. They had to fly doctor and patient in first class and reserve first class for the doctor's return. Her husband sat back in economy. I don't know many people who could come up with the cash in a matter of hours plus pay for the long recovery and stay.

I'm so glad that you have insurance, Jim, and I hope that the companies work all out to your benefit without squabbling.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Boy, Glenda, you really know how to get a fella's attention. We are holding our fingers crossed, but the hits just keep coming.

more news..... The head of cardio in this prestigious hospital was just here, and said that significant calcium was found by CT earlier today. I have echocardiogram set for tomorrow, and he said that he would not OK travel until a possible balloon, and/or stent, and/or bypass clears the plaque. That would be Friday if I can get rid of 4 ltrs of water. I'm still pretty puffy. It's hard at over 90 not to reach for water!

Today is almost over, the hospital is quiet. Paula is with me. She has a nearby hotel, but it is over $1000 a week, and she is starting to run out of her prescriptions.

As Gilda Radner said, " It's always SOMETHING! "

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Boy, Glenda, you really know how to get a fella's attention. We are holding our fingers crossed, but the hits just keep coming.

more news..... The head of cardio in this prestigious hospital was just here, and said that significant calcium was found by CT earlier today. I have echocardiogram set for tomorrow, and he said that he would not OK travel until a possible balloon, and/or stent, and/or bypass clears the plaque. That would be Friday if I can get rid of 4 ltrs of water. I'm still pretty puffy. It's hard at over 90 not to reach for water!

Today is almost over, the hospital is quiet. Paula is with me. She has a nearby hotel, but it is over $1000 a week, and she is starting to run out of her prescriptions.

Oh dear. Does travel insurance also cover your wife's hotel stay? It is small money but I am just wondering. Getting her prescription is going to be challenging but I can imagine with this day and age she can get her doctor to send over her prescription order over to Germany, after finding out from a local pharmacy what sort of paperwork it would need from her doctor.

We were given a tour of a local brand new hospital recently and we were very impressed that every room was setup as a 1-person room with a single sofabed in one corner, intended for a family or friend to sleep in the same room.

Elli

TUG Member
Reaction score

So sorry to hear about your health problems, Jim, but it looks like you are in good hands. Too bad that Germany is suffering through a heat wave with high temps unusual for Germany. Wishing you a speedy recovery, and a safe trip home for you and Paula.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh dear. Does travel insurance also cover your wife's hotel stay? It is small money but I am just wondering. Getting her prescription is going to be challenging but I can imagine with this day and age she can get her doctor to send over her prescription order over to Germany, after finding out from a local pharmacy what sort of paperwork it would need from her doctor.

We were given a tour of a local brand new hospital recently and we were very impressed that every room was setup as a 1-person room with a single sofabed in one corner, intended for a family or friend to sleep in the same room.
We expect the insurance to pay for her room. It may be by reimbursement after we get home. So far nobody has stepped up and committed. Her meds otoh may be more hassle. Most are common generics, but one, her oral chemo, is just new, and is very expensive. Like $400 per pill. The big Cahuna doc says they have it here. Stay tuned!

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim, I've been following this and you are in my thoughts.

btw your comments about Curacao awhile back got me there earlier this year and I loved it, so thank you for that.

On Medicare, they had no insurance for foreign travel and her husband was told that he must pay up front, no credit cards, no checks.
As I understand it, Medicare Supplement plans do cover 80% of medical expenses during foreign travel, and that was a big reason we chose that route instead of Medicare Advantage. As-of-yet untested by us.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Bummer Jim !!! Good thing you caught the blockage before it broke loose. Get better !!!

Bill

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I'm so sorry it keeps escalating!

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
Last edited:

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not usually but will cover some emergency situations. Get your policy out and read all of it. See https://www.medicareresources.org/blog/2015/07/21/a-medicare-enrollees-guide-to-travel-coverage/
Phil, I just clicked on that link, which does state that yes, most Medigap plans (ie Medicare Supplement plans, the route we chose) do cover foreign travel, with $250 deductible, 20% coinsurance and $50,000 lifetime limit - which doesn't include everything - here's what it says:

"So what are my options?
"If you’re adding a Medigap plan to supplement your Original Medicare, six of the Medigap plan design options provide coverage for medical emergencies outside the United States. Plans C, D, F, G, M, and N cover medical emergencies while traveling, as long as medical care starts within 60 days of leaving the United States.

"Medigap plans are only available with no medical underwriting during your initial enrollment period (and very limited special enrollment periods), so it’s wise to plan ahead and choose Medigap coverage with international emergency benefits if you think you might travel during retirement.

"(Four older Medigap plans (E, H, I, and J) also provide coverage for emergencies outside the United States. They are no longer for sale, but enrollees who already have them can continue to use them.)

"With a Medigap plan that covers foreign travel, the patient pays a $250 deductible plus 20 percent coinsurance, and there’s a lifetime benefit maximum of $50,000.

"Some Medicare Advantage plans cover medical emergencies that arise during foreign travel. If you’re considering Medicare Advantage and are planning to travel outside the United States, check with the carrier to see if they cover emergency care outside the United States. Medigap plans cannot be used in conjunction with a Medicare Advantage plan."

maturesparrow

Reaction score
This is something new to me. I want to learn more about this. Thanks for sharing it to us!

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Phil, I just clicked on that link, which does state that yes, most Medigap plans (ie Medicare Supplement plans, the route we chose) do cover foreign travel, with $250 deductible, 20% coinsurance and $50,000 lifetime limit - which doesn't include everything - here's what it says:

"So what are my options?
"If you’re adding a Medigap plan to supplement your Original Medicare, six of the Medigap plan design options provide coverage for medical emergencies outside the United States. Plans C, D, F, G, M, and N cover medical emergencies while traveling, as long as medical care starts within 60 days of leaving the United States.

"Medigap plans are only available with no medical underwriting during your initial enrollment period (and very limited special enrollment periods), so it’s wise to plan ahead and choose Medigap coverage with international emergency benefits if you think you might travel during retirement.

"(Four older Medigap plans (E, H, I, and J) also provide coverage for emergencies outside the United States. They are no longer for sale, but enrollees who already have them can continue to use them.)

"With a Medigap plan that covers foreign travel, the patient pays a $250 deductible plus 20 percent coinsurance, and there’s a lifetime benefit maximum of $50,000.

"Some Medicare Advantage plans cover medical emergencies that arise during foreign travel. If you’re considering Medicare Advantage and are planning to travel outside the United States, check with the carrier to see if they cover emergency care outside the United States. Medigap plans cannot be used in conjunction with a Medicare Advantage plan."
I th

"So what are my options?

Hi Laurie,

The only thing about the Medigap plan coverage with a lifetime benefit maximum of $50,000 is that amount is low and often would amount to insufficient coverage, especially if one had to be medevaced(sp?) home. Good to check with www.squaremouth.com to learn about better coverage options.

Best Regards,

Richard

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
All well and good and those Medigap plans can surely help. I haven't seen any bills yet, but have burned through $50K. Our PRIMARY is the travel insurance, and is zero deductible. I have had a pacemaker installed. Had inpatient treatment for pneumonia, so far at least 5 EKGs, 2 CT scans, upgraded semi private room, I will get angioplasty tomorrow and my wife has been in an over $200/night hotel. We will get a limo to Frankfurt with upgraded seating, (I think just for me, but I'll see about upgrading Paula), a rescue nurse w/O2 all the way home.

Jim

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This thread is a good wakeup call, and I'll definitely be checking the squaremouth website for the future.

This year for the first time, on 2 trips out-of-country, which I actually paid $$ for, I took those allianz plans offered when I booked flights, just because they do include medivac, tho maybe not to the higher limits provided by travel plans. (In the past I haven't, partly due to using a lot of AA FF miles, booking each flight as a 1-way as soon as flights open up - turns out those allianz plans don't cover you while you're over there, if you don't have a return trip on the same ticket!! Finally after about 5 trips overseas, used up most of those miles tho.)

Just this year I've started taking various insurance plans when offered - travel, overseas auto rental - never ever do this til this last UK trip and we had an incident for the first time ever - even electronics and appliances). We're older and more aware (or superstitious) of all that can potentially go wrong, and want to go to as few places as possible to have the problems covered, as completely and hassle-free as possible, if/when they occiur.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For many years, we had been buying Allianz travel insurance that included pre-existing conditions within first 14 days of our initial deposit. Then this year we switched to GeoBlue which covers only medical and evacuation. We rely on Chase Sapphire Reserve card to cover trip interruption loss.

We had claimed against Allianz in the past and had no issues. I claimed against CSR for a minor medical incident this year and also had no issues.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Take care Jim and we wish you a speedy recovery, that is just terrible news but it sounds like you are doing ok at least considering...

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All well and good and those Medigap plans can surely help. I haven't seen any bills yet, but have burned through $50K. Our PRIMARY is the travel insurance, and is zero deductible. I have had a pacemaker installed. Had inpatient treatment for pneumonia, so far at least 5 EKGs, 2 CT scans, upgraded semi private room, I will get angioplasty tomorrow and my wife has been in an over $200/night hotel. We will get a limo to Frankfurt with upgraded seating, (I think just for me, but I'll see about upgrading Paula), a rescue nurse w/O2 all the way home.

Jim

Good to hear from you, Jim. Thanks for the updates. Have they given you any idea of when you could expect to travel home or is it too soon? Definitely a wake-up call! i'm searching policies for the second half of our trip now.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good to hear from you, Jim. Thanks for the updates. Have they given you any idea of when you could expect to travel home or is it too soon? Definitely a wake-up call! i'm searching policies for the second half of our trip now.
I think we are here at least over the weekend- barring complications. After the docs release me, the travel ins has to book transport to Frankfurt- likely by limo- we have luggage, and a rescue nurse with more baggage. Then flights. Doc has recommended lie flat seating. Paula may just get coach unless we upgrade her ourselves. I'm thinking Mon or Tue, but that's a guess. Ins for evac is limited to $250K, so it shouldn't be a rubber dinghy.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, FINALLY I see light down the tunnel. They came and got me one swallow into a cuppa. We went down to the cardiac catheter lab. I had gone over all this with the doc. I was prepped, shaved, annointed with BetaDyne. By and by a German Woman introduced herself and the whole place hummed to life. They entered my right arm to check for plaques in the left heart. Some sort of snafu later & another catheter was inserted in my groin.

Long story short, I think they have ruled out any cardiac involvement in the original shortness of breath issue. Not saying I didn't need a pacemaker, I probably did. One of life's mysteries we can't know.

We have not heard as of this time about travel plans, but have talked to the responsible insurance claims rep. When asked if I could be released and spend a night in my wife's hotel room, the answer was that my rescue nurse would take custody of me AT THE HOSPITAL and not leave my side until we are either home or at a medical facility near there.