• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Input on availability for Interval timeshare trade in Maui

luckyhubby

Reaction score
Hi, we have put in a request for a trade for Maui for the Summer of 2009 through Interval International. We have deposited our week in Lake Tahoe for the trade. I was just curious how people think the economy and higher price of flights will effect the trade. It seems to me that people might not be willing to pay the higher air fares and costs and will be trading their weeks in Maui. Does this mean there should be more availability for me to get my request? Or am I looking at this the wrong way?? I have traded my week in Tahoe for a week in Maui before (2005) but I guess I am just nervous and impatient. Any input to help ease my mind would be appreciated. Thanks.

djs

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is just a guess on my part, but I imagine most who buy in Hawaii have already factored airfare into their equation. I suspect a lot of owners in Hawaii are on the West Coast and therfore airfare has historically been reasonable, and might not be a barrier to them now. That said, it surely would be cheaper for someone in Seattle to fly to SoCA than to Hawaii right now, so the chances of more opening there (in that owners would prefer not to pay for the airfare) are probably pretty good.

I imagine you'll get your exchange, though it might take some time.

Reaction score
Hawaii

Lucky: I am still trying to trade into Maui or Kaui for August 2009 I already purchased my airfare from Philly for about $750 RT. I was lucky to get two weeks at Ko Olina on Oahua. It seems that Maui and Kaui are tough trades. We started looking in July 2008. I am hoping to snag a last minute trade to another island and then I will make inter-island flight reservations.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
What are you using to trade? Obviously you own a Marriott to get those great exchanges to Ko-Olina.

If you only want Marriott, it might be tough, but if you can take a lot of different resorts, the options open up quite a bit.

Reaction score
Hawaii

I am open to any resort on any of the other islands. I traded a Marriott in Hilton Head. When I checked with II via in person and on-line, nothing was available on any other islands for any other islands. I wanted to nail down dates in August 2009 because of my child's school schedule. I was on wait list for almost 4 months and nothing was coming up. I was getting concerned and wanted to lock in airfare early since I don't have FF miles.

Since I have never been to Hawaii, I plan to enjoy my stay at Ko Olina. If something opens up, I'll make a trade for another island.

Aloha!

jancpa

TUG Member
Reaction score
I leave for the Maui Schooner this Saturday. The person I spoke to at the resort says they are just as busy as ever, even with the high airfares and poor economy. She says the owner seem to have a 'use it or lose it' attitude.

Perhaps more deposits will show up after the first of the year when maintenance fees are due and owners firm up their plans for 2009.