• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

In what decade were you a teenager?

In what decade were you a teenager?

• 1930's

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1940's

Votes: 8 0.8%
  • 1950's

Votes: 83 8.4%
  • 1960's

Votes: 270 27.4%
  • 1970's

Votes: 307 31.2%
  • 1980's

Votes: 221 22.4%
  • 1990's

Votes: 82 8.3%
  • 2000’s

Votes: 13 1.3%
  • 2010’s

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
In another post someone suggested that most Tuggers were teenagers in the 1950's. The purpose of this poll is to determine when most Tuggers were teenagers.

If you became a teenager at the end of a decade--such as someone who turned 13 in 1959--count the decade in which you had the most teenage years. So, a 13-year old in 1959 would have been a teenager for more years in the 1960's than the 1950's.

Here are the decades:

30's
40's
50's
60's
70's
80's
90's
1970 's !!!

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was great being a kid in the 60s...even being a preteen and being exposed to great timeless music, peace, love and just an interesting time in history!!

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
I was a teenager from 1984-1991 - so a mix of the 80's and the 90's. On top of being widely known as the Gen Xer's, we're also the Nomad generation. There are four generational archetypes that follow a pattern - Prophet, Hero, Nomad, Artist. And almost always in that order.

Last edited:

shorep

Reaction score
Turned into teenage years 1958 left school in 1961,sex,drugs and rock and roll, all I got was rock and roll, army, and hard work, then marriage and kids, when does the fun start, there a system for a claim to higher authority?????

Jodyv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Graduated from high school in 1968. Agree with Jim Freeman. Best music ever. Kasey Kasem was the dj at our local recreation center dances. We were pretty lucky!!

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Proud Gen-X'er with teenage years in the 1980s.

That's a nice normal-looking distribution we got going there, bell curve and all!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are today's youth still refer to as teenagers? LOL.:ROFLMAO::ponder:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Funny that every older generation thinks the current generation is lazy and spoiled. There are many historians and sociologists who have written about the Me generation, the Baby Boomers, as the most entitled generation. Based on my parents, I would tend to agree.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
Funny that every older generation thinks the current generation is lazy and spoiled. There are many historians and sociologists who have written about the Me generation, the Baby Boomers, as the most entitled generation. Based on my parents, I would tend to agree.

Baby boomers.... the greediest generation whose lust for money and power knew no bounds. So much for peace and love.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
Regardless of what the poll says the 60's had the best music.
LOL, Being a genXer I like the 60's, 70's and 80's. But the current music..... "Geeze these kids these days and what they listen to..." ;)

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
Baby boomers.... the greediest generation whose lust for money and power knew no bounds. So much for peace and love.
I'm not sure that is true and there are certainly no absolutes. I am also not a fan of generalizations. Every generation suffers from the same flaws in human nature. I do think that our culture follows a pattern were cultural aspects like greed, work ethic, honesty, etc. ebbs and flows. My personal opinion is if a generation grows up with adversity and they work to overcome it, they then (generalization here don't beat me up) tend to spoil their kids and that generation might not have the same work ethic, resulting in the cycle of adversity, prosperity, decline, adversity.

jamacson

Reaction score
I was a teenager during the 1980's, back when Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson dominated the music charts.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Teenager in the 90s. Man was everything optimistic in the mid to latter part of it too. I was never very wild - basically a nerd doing Star Trek, reading, D&D, anime, and TV shows in general. We live rural - in many ways we were 20+ years behind my classmates in school even though they were very slightly less rural (I mean a village of like 1,000 people and a class of like 78). We still only had OTA 4 channels of which one was PBS. We had rotary phones (cause why replace what's working) and party lines (till the phone company made them drop it and the savings in like 2002?), we had 33 and 45 records and cassettes - no CDs either. VHS tapes. I got into reading books cause of that - didn't have multiple TVs, the one TV was a 12" B&W my dad apparently bought used in like 1979 or something till in 1993 when we finally got a 19" COLOR TV, but still only B&W for "my TV".

Though I was way more techie too, maybe from Star Trek fantasies? I pushed and pushed and got my parents to finally get me a Sega Genesis in 95, and an actual IBM computer. 2 years later I convinced them to get "the Internet" via dial-up. We had the Internet before we got rid of the party line lol. That was fun let me tell you. I feel in some ways my family kind of went from the mid 70s right to the late 90s in tech and culture. I was into search engines and MP3s pre Google.

I do feel like a bit of a codger ahead of his time when so many things are "I was into xx before it was cool", but maybe everyone feels that way as they age.

Music wise I have to say - growing up it was all 60s folk and rock and roll. I got into some Aerosmith through some friends and then hit on Nickelback in 99, still like them to today (FIGHT ME). I also "grew up" with Brittany Spears and the boy bands around the turn of the millennium. I never really got into rap at all, though that seems to have been slowly "taking over pop music" since 2001 or so that I've noticed. Although now Pandora is trying to tell me my Nickelback channel should really add some sort of Country to the mix, which is... weird. Though I like Country too, it's a completely different vibe IMHO.

IDK, I've stayed pretty similar since I was a teen, stayed single, strongly rejected additional responsibilities (Kids etc), and mostly just hang out with existing family members (who are more than enough to keep me busy) and co-workers etc. Probably not the typical time-sharer, but I also recently got back into photography, and so want to travel a lot for that, and making it easy / required to go places helps IMHO. Also, now I even work from home mostly, so just going different places after 3 years of COVID is real nice.

joybuzzer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Points
Tahiti Village
Teenager in the 90s. Man was everything optimistic in the mid to latter part of it too. I was never very wild - basically a nerd doing Star Trek, reading, D&D, anime, and TV shows in general. We live rural - in many ways we were 20+ years behind my classmates in school even though they were very slightly less rural (I mean a village of like 1,000 people and a class of like 78). We still only had OTA 4 channels of which one was PBS. We had rotary phones (cause why replace what's working) and party lines (till the phone company made them drop it and the savings in like 2002?), we had 33 and 45 records and cassettes - no CDs either. VHS tapes. I got into reading books cause of that - didn't have multiple TVs, the one TV was a 12" B&W my dad apparently bought used in like 1979 or something till in 1993 when we finally got a 19" COLOR TV, but still only B&W for "my TV".

Though I was way more techie too, maybe from Star Trek fantasies? I pushed and pushed and got my parents to finally get me a Sega Genesis in 95, and an actual IBM computer. 2 years later I convinced them to get "the Internet" via dial-up. We had the Internet before we got rid of the party line lol. That was fun let me tell you. I feel in some ways my family kind of went from the mid 70s right to the late 90s in tech and culture. I was into search engines and MP3s pre Google.

I do feel like a bit of a codger ahead of his time when so many things are "I was into xx before it was cool", but maybe everyone feels that way as they age.

Music wise I have to say - growing up it was all 60s folk and rock and roll. I got into some Aerosmith through some friends and then hit on Nickelback in 99, still like them to today (FIGHT ME). I also "grew up" with Brittany Spears and the boy bands around the turn of the millennium. I never really got into rap at all, though that seems to have been slowly "taking over pop music" since 2001 or so that I've noticed. Although now Pandora is trying to tell me my Nickelback channel should really add some sort of Country to the mix, which is... weird. Though I like Country too, it's a completely different vibe IMHO.
This sounds like many people on Imgur and Reddit and me! Long live the 90's!! IMHO the best decade since the 1920's

regatta333

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Long Wharf, Wyndham points, Vistana Westin Kierland