• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

In quarantine Marriott Maui

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
Yes. Due to cancellations, and before inventory was removed, I booked all 7 weeks in a row, with just 1 overlapping day, so technically only 48 days here. Very short window to book all 7 weeks. I used eplus to change room sizes and dates multiple times as inventory changed daily, but eventually got all 7 weeks, all in a 2 br, even though only needed a 1 br, but first 4 weeks were in a 2 br, but added last 3 weeks changing from 1 br in old phase (MMO) so all 7 weeks in new phase (MM1). Although I think they probably (?) would have moved me into MM1, since it’s my understanding only MM1 is being occupied, but not 100% sure. Still under quarantine so can’t see if anyone in MMO
I thought I was pretty savvy and very creative about successfully trading into MMO and MM1, spending hours trolling Interval for new inventory, so far have only been able to string together 3 weeks. You are my new role model. :cool:

luv_maui

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You are so close to freedom now! This is so exciting! I’m living vicariously through you and I share your updates with my husband. I’m a teacher and just started summer vacation. It’s longer than usual bc of COVID. I think how wonderful it would be to take the kids to Maui and have it all to ourselves after quarantine. The kids would be fine indoors for two weeks as long as we had internet connection! If not for my husband’s job and our dog....
We shall see if walking along the beach, enjoying the pool, and eating in our room, going for a drive, or the currently few restaurants that are open, is enough. Could we have our fill after 4-5 weeks? We are typically here for only 1 week, although already day 12 of quarantine, so once free we may have our fill after 2 weeks After quarantine and go home? Probably not, but Keeping things flexible. Although we have flights booked to go home end of weeks 4, 5, 6 & 7. Using mostly frequent flyer miles so can cancel without any penalty and miles simply go back into account.

Jim&Martha

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good point, even on Maui, it may not be enough for all that time, can't wait to see how you feel and your experience on a secluded island, ha! Who would ever think of Maui as secluded?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Consider downloading a driving tour app. Shaka Guide is an example, but there are others. App is free, and then you just pay a few bucks to download specific driving tours of the island. The Shaka Guide himself is pretty funny, he tells you things along the way that you would not have known otherwise, teaches you a little local language, tells you turn offs to take to see off the beaten path sights (that you can chose to do or not), etc, etc. Its uses GPS tracking on your phone, so it knows where you are to tell you the right stuff, and where to turn, etc. There is a Shaka Guide for each island, so make sure you download the Maui one. Check it out.

Last edited:

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
Called COVID-19 hotline. Person answering stated they don’t keep track of hours so I should be free day 15 anytime. However, now I’ve heard 3 answers: 1) free 6/19, then 2) 6/20 is correct and 6/19 was incorrect, and now 3) anytime on 6/20 - although person on the line wasn’t very assuring, so I’ll call again tomorrow to see what they say.

however, it appears we are free anytime on day 15, with day 1 being day of arrival. Although online app check-in started day after arrival and said day 1 of check in, so 6/20 should be app day 14 check-in. Hopefully it’ll say we are done? Email reminder to check in arrives about 10am each day.

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
Consider downloading a driving tour app. Shaka Guide is an example, but there are others. App is free, and then you just pay a few bucks to download specific driving tours of the island. The Shaka Guide is pretty funny, tells you things along the way that you would not have known otherwise, teaches you a little local language, tells you turn offs to take to see off the beaten path sights, etc, etc. Its uses GPS tracking on your phone, so it knows where you are to tell you the right stuff, and where to turn, etc. There is a Shaka Guide for each island, so make sure you download the Maui one. Check it out
Thanks for the suggestion. We’ve been coming to Maui annually for over 25 years, but now that we really have time (up to 5 weeks), we may really check driving out all over. Although car rental really adds up at $185/week for up to 5 weeks! Will check out uber/lyft this weekend and then rent a car not at airport starting Monday if we choose to rent a car. For that matter, everything adds up for 7 weeks. Even Daily occupancy tax for this 2 bedroom is $21.25 per day - or $1,041.25 for 49 nights.

we’ll meet ambassador 100 night requirement but not the $20,000 in spending, so will have to settle for titanium status, but that was already granted automatically for next year from Marriott. I guess another 10 useless SNAs

Last edited:

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
We shall see if walking along the beach, enjoying the pool, and eating in our room, going for a drive, or the currently few restaurants that are open, is enough. Could we have our fill after 4-5 weeks? We are typically here for only 1 week, although already day 12 of quarantine, so once free we may have our fill after 2 weeks After quarantine and go home? Probably not, but Keeping things flexible. Although we have flights booked to go home end of weeks 4, 5, 6 & 7. Using mostly frequent flyer miles so can cancel without any penalty and miles simply go back into account.

It would be enough for me! I live. Busy hectic life normally and it would be a welcome time of relaxation. We love the ocean and pool, and if you need more physical activity there is hiking and biking I would think. I like the idea posted above about the app too. Enjoy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
we’ll meet ambassador 100 night requirement but not the $20,000 in spending, so will have to settle for titanium status, but that was already granted automatically for next year from Marriott. I guess another 10 useless SNAs

Why not choose the free 40k night at the 75 night award level? My wife and choose 5 SNA at the 50 night mark and the free 40k night at the 75 night award level. We get 10 SNA and two free 40k nights annually. Good for a nice staycation weekend if you have no other use for the free nights.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Whoo hoo!!! You are getting sooooo close! I'm sure it seems like it's drug on and on for you but from my end it doesn't seem like it's been 14 days since you got there. I'm so happy your confinement is almost to an end!!! Sigh......envious but that's ok - I'm living vicariously through you!

Beautiful morning for a walk along the beach. Just 3 more days. On day 12. Free day 15. Looks like some surfers today.

View attachment 22213

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why not choose the free 40k night at the 75 night award level? My wife and choose 5 SNA at the 50 night mark and the free 40k night at the 75 night award level. We get 10 SNA and two free 40k nights annually. Good for a nice staycation weekend if you have no other use for the free nights.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Maybe we will choose the 40k free night, but with the points increases, hard to use. But with rolllver SNAs, we certainly don’t need 20 SNAs for next year.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
S

sorry, but no secret sauce. Diligence, patience, persistence, and luck. I checked inventory daily and exchanged for my 7 weeks. But used eplus to switch from MMO to MM1, all in same size unit eventually, over multiple days. Only 1 overlapping day (checking out 7/4, but next week check in 7/3). Even then I had an opportunity to then line up all dates with no overlapping day with online Inventory that was available for at least 1-2 days as I know I could have booked a 2nd unit for 7 weeks. And, if not for a wedding in August, I probably could have extended our stay at least another 4-5 weeks. Once quarantine was extended another month, more inventory showed up. Persistence in monitoring II inventory daily, and this pandemic created this probably once in a lifetime online available inventory. I would never expect Marriott hawaii inventory just sitting online for 1-2 days. I considered switching last 2-3 weeks to MKO, but waited too long and inventory was removed, so won’t be able to meet frank808. DW didn’t want to move anyways - but we shall see if Marriott Maui makes us move in about 1.5 weeks even though it appears (although hawaii inter island quarantine lifting might change that) very few here at resort - supposedly only about 6?
So what I'm hearing is that inventory/opportunities pop up and disappear quickly, and so once the window is reached when you can request something you need to start checking multiple times a day. Is that a fair assessment?

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
So what I'm hearing is that inventory/opportunities pop up and disappear quickly, and so once the window is reached when you can request something you need to start checking multiple times a day. Is that a fair assessment?
I didn’t request (OGS) anything. I checked daily, and once inventory showed up, it was there for 1-2 days. But this is during a pandemic. I certainly don’t claim to be any expert. Normally, when inventory shows up, it does disappear quickly. I’m not usually up that early in the morning when the inventory typically shows up.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn’t request (OGS) anything. I checked daily, and once inventory showed up, it was there for 1-2 days. But this is during a pandemic. I certainly don’t claim to be any expert. Normally, when inventory shows up, it does disappear quickly. I’m not usually up that early in the morning when the inventory typically shows up.
And just to add a bit more as someone who has used II very successfully for more than 10 years-
You can place a request (ongoing search/OGS) as soon as you deposit your unit into II and you can do manual searches with that same unit while your request is in place- that is really the best plan since occasionally a unit slips through the request filter and ends up in the general inventory. There’s really no downside to placing a request using a deposited unit since you can still search manually and can cancel a confirmation within 24 hours if you change your mind.
There are video tutorials on how to request and do the manual (instant confirmation) exchange on the II communities under general discussions.

Im enjoying following your adventures luv_maui!

Jim&Martha

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey Pamplemousse, can you post a link please for that tutorial? Thanks!

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
sorry, but no secret sauce. Diligence, patience, persistence, and luck. I checked inventory daily and exchanged for my 7 weeks. But used eplus to switch from MMO to MM1, all in same size unit eventually, over multiple days...Persistence in monitoring II inventory daily, and this pandemic created this probably once in a lifetime online available inventory.
Couldn't have said it better myself. It's amazing what you can get by continuously searching II on a daily basis. Okay, let me not kid anyone...I bypass persistence and go straight to obsession. When we're in vacation hunting mode (and even when we're not), I obsessively & incessantly check II during my waking hours. As @Pamplemousse points out, OGS can assist in your search. We've yet put in an OGS since obsessive searching has yielded resorts/dates we desired. And ever since II implemented e-plus, we've purchased it for every exchange, even when we "knew" we weren't going to change plans.

Thanks for the suggestion [for Shaka driving app]. We’ve been coming to Maui annually for over 25 years, but now that we really have time (up to 5 weeks), we may really check driving out all over.
We love the Shaka app (Gypsy is another app many like). We've used Shaka for Maui, Oahu, Kauai, and BI. It gets my highest recommendation! You won't regret it...as a matter of fact, you'll grow in your knowledge of Hawaiian history and culture, and you'll see several things you probably wouldn't have found on your own. It's worth every penny IMO.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
We're not sure what February will hold, but your experience is motivating me to consider changing my two week air window to going for 4-6 weeks. I rent a number of winter Lahaina weeks and with the unknown of what the market will be and quarantine rules if they have a winter spike, I'm considering using the four weeks in our fixed week units and if I get a II match for Week 3, could stretch it to six weeks.

It may be that these strange times are actually the catalyst I needed to pull the trigger on a long trip, even if the first two weeks ended up in quarantine.

We really appreciate you documenting your experience at MOC.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
We're not sure what February will hold, but your experience is motivating me to consider changing my two week air window to going for 4-6 weeks. I rent a number of winter Lahaina weeks and with the unknown of what the market will be and quarantine rules if they have a winter spike, I'm considering using the four weeks in our fixed week units and if I get a II match for Week 3, could stretch it to six weeks.

It may be that these strange times are actually the catalyst I needed to pull the trigger on a long trip, even if the first two weeks ended up in quarantine.

We really appreciate you documenting your experience at MOC.

Same thought occurred to me briefly since I think our Jan/Feb Kauai, Maui, Waikoloa trip is 50-50 at best due to likelihood of a winter spike. Not sure how I would configure the two quarantine weeks on the front end, but the more I thought of it I think I would go crazy being that close but having to stay in my room. It would be worth it if we could have the run of the resort, but that obviously isn't a quarantine. I'm not strong enough to stay in a room in paradise for 14 days without having serious mental issues being able to see it all but not go there...I admire those with the inner strength to do that.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Called COVID-19 hotline. Person answering stated they don’t keep track of hours so I should be free day 15 anytime. However, now I’ve heard 3 answers: 1) free 6/19, then 2) 6/20 is correct and 6/19 was incorrect, and now 3) anytime on 6/20 - although person on the line wasn’t very assuring, so I’ll call again tomorrow to see what they say.

however, it appears we are free anytime on day 15, with day 1 being day of arrival. Although online app check-in started day after arrival and said day 1 of check in, so 6/20 should be app day 14 check-in. Hopefully it’ll say we are done? Email reminder to check in arrives about 10am each day.
You arrived on 6/6 so a 14 day quarantine should end on 6/20, one minute after your aircraft touched down on the runway. I'd head down to the front desk and ask for a fully operational key wristband at that time.