• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

In 2020, are you looking to acquire for free or give away for free a timeshare?

In 2020, are you looking to acquire for free or give away for free a timeshare?

• Acquire for free

Votes: 22 14.4%
  • Give away for free

Votes: 39 25.5%
  • Both, acquire for free and give away for free

Votes: 13 8.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 45 29.4%
  • Maybe, not really looking but if right property appeared I might

Votes: 34 22.2%

• Total voters

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Panina, I feel your survey was great. It gives a statistical idea about Tuggers whom are still interested in acquiring more timeshare resorts by various means on this website . IMO.

JudiZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Until a few weeks ago, I was acquiring one more. I, too, thought I was done but then the "right one" came along." But then, things got a little weird with the lack of communication and I backed out. Since this was the third time I had attempted to acquire this property (once before a sale where the seller raised the price when I expressed interest), another "free" week and then this week. I am thinking I'm just going to keep what I have (a couple of mutts I use and Wyndham points). That being said, I rarely say never....

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We are definite maybe's even though I think we are certainly leaning no more.

Last year I was a definite no is what I thought. I wasn't planning on adding any weeks last year but did add two weeks that begin this year that were found on the tug bargains. I'm still waiting for the contract but was told that the transfer had taken place. I told them I wouldn't pay the 2020 mf unless the transfer had taken place. The good thing are these weeks are fairly short term rtu's, with low mf's, in an opulent resort system that we already own multiple winter weeks at.

Bill

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I want to get rid of our EOY and just have annuals. And Platinum season only. So I am looking for the needle in the haystack because I always want to find the lowest buy in possible.

Synergy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Massanutten
I'm actually willing to outright pay for one of the ownerships I'm looking for - but the others I'm looking into are semi-frequently available for free. As with my current ownerships, I might be willing to 'pay' - at least for transfer costs - if I received free usage. Regardless, I'm pretty sure my 'acquire for free' vote was well placed.

simon63

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FAVC
I bought a FAVC resale, it took 6 months, the transfer had taken place the 31 of January of 2019, just the deadline to pay the maintenance without an extra charge. For the moment I don't thinking to buy another resale.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
Interesting maybe we should do a poll for last year
in 2019

I gave away 2 for free (independent fixed two bedroom red weeks)
I received 1 for free (Wyndham points)
Purchased one from Red week (Hyatt points)
Purchased one from a Broker (Vistana Points)

In 2020 I am looking to acquire 2 and give away 1
I have switched to 100% points in Wyndham, Vistana, Hyatt no more independent fixed weeks. So the number of weeks is not as big a deal as the number of points and the MF per point

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was briefly tempted. Someone is selling a udi Timbers week at Christmas mountain for only two thousand. Those are the ones that come with free golf and skiing at Christmas mountain, which would usually be worth it to us as we buy a membership each year. However, my husband has declined enough lately that I might not be able to get back north for the summer. The other drawback is that the timbers association has taken over ownership of golf and ski operations. If there is a big loss, then the maintenance fee will go up to cover it.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Voted Neither.

For us, our only timeshare is DVC (4 contracts) and are very happy with it. We thought of adding a few more points end of last year but I changed my mind (hubby might still go for a small BCV contract with my UY if it popped up/but doubt it/satisfied with dues).

There was a brief time when I considered another timeshare might be a good combination. I am glad we don't have one now. We do have the option of trying some RCI resorts (and might some day/we did once with II. We want to start traveling/exploring new places. Do not want to commit to anything else. Besides our "planned DVC vacations (WDW/Vero/Hilton Head/DCL), we want to go when we can, where we want and pay as we go. We also want to be able to go with other family/friends on vacations they have invited us to.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I am in 70s too, but if a great week on Beach came up, I would love it and my grandsons would love it. They are 5, 8, 8, and 10. I started waaaay after Pedro
Rapmarks, like you I'm looking for that wonderful location on a beach in SW - Gulf Side FL. If one came up in that are, I would snag it in a heartbeat. I also started having kids late in life but my son decided not to follow in his moms footsteps and got married at 21 and I now have a 3 year old grandson that looks forward to GG's adventures... (my little guy can't say grandma, but when he started talking he would run to me and say love you GG, so it stuck)

Last edited:

kc01075

TUG Member
Reaction score
We want to start getting out of timeshare ownership due to our age and health. We know what to do with Wyndham. How do you get rid of Diamond? They want $1,000 PER CONTRACT to take them back and we bought eight times.

kc01075

TUG Member
Reaction score
We want to start getting out of timeshare ownership due to our age and health. We know what to do with Wyndham. How do you get rid of Diamond? They want $1,000 PER CONTRACT to take them back and we bought eight times.
[/QUOTE]

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
i like the poll but I would also like to see one that does not include the word "free". With one exception, I paid money for my timeshares and this is because I wanted premium weeks in nice resorts where it is much more expensive to rent, even from other owners. I am also looking at some RCI points opportunities. They are not expensive but, depending on the size, they may be few hundred dollars so they would still not qualify as "free" I guess

gsedlock

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Kauai Beach Club, Marriott Vacation Club Points
We own a Marriott week in Kawaii and 2,500 MVC points. We're approaching our 70's and wondering if it's time to sell. For the last 7 years, we've converted the week to MVC points and took guided tours with Collette. We've had a great experience with Collette, but I'm in the process of figuring out whether it would be more cost effective just to pay cash for the tours. My wife loves the ocean beach, so we may keep the TS to go to a beach resort for a week or so.

bankr63

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort Orlando (2BR, Deeded Wk10) , Silver Lake Resort Orlando (3BRLO)
DW has been after me for a while to post ours. We wanted to drop one of the MF's as we have a ton of TPU already built up in RCI that I keep rolling forward. Probably about 10 weeks built up and we only travel TS about 2 weeks a year. Once we draw down the backlog we might consider adding one back in, but really should be able to just pick up extra weeks here on TUG when that happens. Plan is to post both, and keep the last one standing.

AZLatin5

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Pacific Palisades
Wyndham Oceanside Pier
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I want to get a Hyatt to diversify my portfolio but the only way I can justify it is to get rid of one of my Wyndham contracts

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I want to get a Hyatt to diversify my portfolio but the only way I can justify it is to get rid of one of my Wyndham contracts
That’s what I did last year. I had been wanting a Hyatt forever. I found the week and price I wanted and was fortunate that it passed ROFR.

good luck in your search

AZLatin5

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Pacific Palisades
Wyndham Oceanside Pier
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
That’s what I did last year. I had been wanting a Hyatt forever. I found the week and price I wanted and was fortunate that it passed ROFR.

good luck in your search
I have offer in now. Will see if passes! Congrats on yours :)

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
I am already waiting for stoppel in one to confirm unit and week. I have two fixed week properties in my wish list, and this is one of them. I will give away one of my deeds if I find the second one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avad88

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did both in 2019–picked up a summer week in the Outer Banks for closing costs only and finally gave away our Diamond week—yay!!! I think we are through since we now have 3 beach weeks we use (big beach lovers) and a good RCI trader, but I never say never!

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
After acquiring four resale weeks (two MGV, two SVV) in 2019, I think we're done for now unless something incredible falls into our laps. Also want to see what is going to happen with the Vistana/Marriott integration (if anything).

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Same here for me on the Vistana-Marriott integration. We have more than enough TS (4) than vacation time. But keeping all until after we retire in a couple of years. My last purchase was a Hyatt too during period when ROFR waivers were pretty much rubber stamped :)

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Same here for me on the Vistana-Marriott integration. We have more than enough TS (4) than vacation time. But keeping all until after we retire in a couple of years. My last purchase was a Hyatt too during period when ROFR waivers were pretty much rubber stamped :)

So excited to see so many of us that have either purchased or in the process of purchasing a Hyatt...