• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Improving an older resort to cater to exchangers' tastes, what items are MUST haves?

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I love a lot of the ideas out there-but, I am surprised about the designer comments. A good designer is worth every penny... These are decisions you and many other will live with for years. Maybe even try 2 designers for varying view points. I have a great one (sorry, SF bay area) that is really good at using what you already have in the home. Meaning, she is good at our limitations/space constraints. Yes, it will run $100 plus an hour---worth every penny.
But really...a good designer would be WELL WORTH the INVESTMENT you are about to make. :)

Second that. We have gone through 3 unit renovations with our 4th coming up in 2010 at Cypress Pointe Resort. One was "Board/Management" design, one with a poor designer and the last (and next) with costly professionals. And multiple, full model units. Worth twice what we paid for the ideas and results we got. The first two renovations were disasters - the last a score and the next - can't wait until we post the model photos in a few weeks. It is a home run that makes new resorts look bad in comparison. So (within reason) spend for professional design advice and get properly sized/designed/constructed furniture for a timeshare. It makes all the difference. A coordinated vision and design makes or breaks a renovation cycle IMO. Most people don't have that talent while a good designer has it in spades.

SBK

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Cindy --

Thanks so much for starting this thread. I'll be sharing these comments with the members of our BOD. We are trying to do much the same thing with our much older resort. To give you a hint -- our RCI number is 0047.

We have five buildings, including a nineteenth century inn and two other buildings on a golf course, and two unusual buildings on the waterfront. We are looking for low cost, high impact ways to improve our units.

It is very helpful to hear firsthand what people think is important. :wave:

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Granite counter tops and Stainless steel appliances are the current "must have" kitchen items this year. They will go out of style in a couple of years to be replaced by the newest must have items.Forget those high dollar items and make sure you have nice looking appliances (white preferably) and a durable counter that is reasonably priced. Stained concrete and synthetic counters are cheaper and just as durable.

Flat screen TVs with a good cable package are a must have for upgrade. Buying new picture tube TV's is like buying new 8 track players. Why buy obsolete technology?

I almost never see a good comfortable RECLINER in the den at timeshares. I feel sure that most people have a recliner in their den at home. I know that I love my recliner at my house.
I would love to see a recliner in every timeshare I stay in!

Have a TV with cable in the den, and also TVs with cable in ALL of the bed rooms.

Last edited:

mamiecarter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Get more bang for the buck

How can you afford to do all of this?

Granite counter tops are overpriced and not that important. Oak furniture is great. Why get rid of it? Good TVs are essential and computer access too. Prioritize and spend money where it will have maximum impact.

Helpful friendly staff is more important than decor. Think about extra training and incentives for your staff. I will not go back to places where the staff makes me uncomfortable.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have a slightly different take. You indicate in the thread title that you want to cater to exchanger's tastes. I think that should be low on your priority list.

What you should do is focus on maximizing appeal to owners. Maybe I'm "old school", but I think exchanging is a fringe add-on to timesharing, not the essence of timesharing.

Catering to exchangers is appropriate only to the extent that owners deem it important. In any situation in which you might be balancing owner desires versus possible exchanger attractiveness, owner desires should receive strong preference.

Budget and finances, of course, is where those collisions are most likely to occur.

MaryH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cindy,

Definitely free wifi. If it is not cost effective to have it throughout the resort, I would be okay with a high capacity router in the club lounge / club house.

I pay attention to bathroom and kitchen.

One thing I like from my frequent hotel stays are the new curved shower rods that gives a bit more space. Another is the larger shower head...

Kitchen needs a few decent pans (preferable nonstick) and some good knifes and a cutting board.

A comfortable chair and some good reading lamp is useful for those stay in nights.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I have a slightly different take. You indicate in the thread title that you want to cater to exchanger's tastes. I think that should be low on your priority list.

What you should do is focus on maximizing appeal to owners. Maybe I'm "old school", but I think exchanging is a fringe add-on to timesharing, not the essence of timesharing.

Catering to exchangers is appropriate only to the extent that owners deem it important. In any situation in which you might be balancing owner desires versus possible exchanger attractiveness, owner desires should receive strong preference.

Budget and finances, of course, is where those collisions are most likely to occur.

Steve, the owners are our priority, and we even sent a survey to the owners that was very detailed and thorough. We wanted to let them know we cared about their desires, and it was the FIRST time any board has ever cared to hear the owners' opinions. That is a sad state of affairs, isn't it?

This is an older resort, and I can tell you that some sofas are the ORIGINALS. That makes those sofas 28 years old. I didn't believe it was possible, because our unit has a much newer sofa, but one of the new board members is an original owner, and he insists that his sofabed in his unit is as old as the complex. :eek:

We walked through all the units in mid-July, and I cannnot even be objective about the place, I am so fond of it. I know we need carpet in some units, and some quarry tile in a few of the units is cracked beyond belief because it was installed by a bad company, but I think those are easy fixes.

The new leather chairs would be a wonderful addition, and some new sofabedss, a little paint, carpet (some units) and decor, and we would make owners happy. But I want more than that. I want the units to be the same. I would like to strive for the same furnishings and decor in the units. I don't like that some units have off-white carpet (that is brand new and already heavily stained:eek: ), and some have grey carpet (ugly as sin). I like the brownish carpet we have in James 4, and I like everything about the decor in that unit.

Mamie, our kitchens are already remodeled and have a solid-surface product, rather like Corian or Silestone, though I don't know what it is. It is very attractive and is a grayish tan with speckles. It is wearing beautifully. Some units are missing that upgrade, and I want to see it added where it is missing very soon.

The WI-FI was easy, very cheap, and the cost is shared amongst all the owners, both whole owners and timeshare owners, with several "hot spots" that works for all units. People just need to figure out how to use it, and I hope we have directions for that. I need to ask that question........

The Master association has been working on the exterior of the resort. They have been taking most of every dime of our special assessment to get the paving, painting, building, etc., done. Once that debt is paid to the whole owners by the timeshare owners, we will be able to spend some of the upcoming payments of the assessment to fix up the interiors.

The assessment was $184 X 5 years for the 3 bedroom units, and $168 X 5 years for the 2 bedroom units. I wasn't on the board when this assessment was decided. I was actually against it.

The old board pushed hard to remodel the kitchens with the first year's assessment. The kitchens are really nice. We will have one assessment left to do the furnishings we are talking about. I know that doesn't sound like a lot of money, but we plan to increase the maintenance fees from the old amount to get more in reserves.

We are at $351 for a 2 bedroom unit, $384 for a 3 bedroom unit.

That is way too low to keep things up, so it's a huge increase we are going to need to get things done within 3 years, and our owners will be angry at teh increase, I am sure. I think we need to go to $420 for the 2 bedrooms and $480 for the 3 bedrooms. It's either an increase, or we will need to assess again! I don't want to do that. The old board just loved assessments.

THIS IS SHOCKING: I have my issues with the old board members, who OKAYED, an assessment six years ago that paid for the TREX decks and the clubhouse refurbishments. We paid $612 X 50 weeks per unit= $30,600, while the whole owners paid about $2,000 for those new decks (maybe they paid even less than that, I would have to look it up). I got on the board to keep that kind of thing from happening again.

There are all kinds of reasons the old board gives for this horrible decision, but in the end, none of them holds water. All 60 units at the resort should have paid for the refurbishment equally. It is because of this assessment, which timeshare owners are oblivious as to what the old board did, that some owners think that timeshare is a horrible waste of money, so they pay the PCC's to take their units back. I was one of those angry :mad: owners, but I did something about it, and I got on the board.

bugzapper

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Cindy,

I applaud what you are trying to do for Twin Rivers. There are some things that you could do that would have a huge positive impact for your resort (such as getting rid of the dated dining room paneling). Other things you cannot change (such the size and layout of the bathrooms and living room). Find ways to emphasize the positives and to minimize the negatives.

One mistake that is sometimes made while updating an older timeshare is to over-furnish a smaller condo with furniture that is just too bulky for the alloted space. That was a problem during my stay at French Ridge in Breckenridge. They had real nice new furniture that was hard to get around because it just didn't fit. Furniture doesn't have to be large to be comfortable--it should, however, be contemporary and match some unified theme.

During our stay in a two bedroom Bancroft unit a year and a half ago, I noticed that the pluses include a large deck facing the Fraser River, a nicely equipped kitchen, and a large storage closet. The filthy carpet was huge negative. It looked as though skiers must have worn their boots into the condo and smeared snow and mud all over the place. I don't know that hardwood floors are the answer, since mud and snow can be so hard on them, as well. It might help to have a tiled pathway from the front door to the back door, where the storage closet exists, and where people are likely taking their ski equipment at the end of the day.

Be realistic in your expectations for the place. Given the layout, your units will never look like the Hyatt. I doubt that putting granite tops in the kitchen would really give you much bang for the buck. Remodeling to get a master bathroom or jacuzzi tub would be prohibitive. Updating the bathrooms with new tile and fixtures, however, would be a huge positive.

Providing furnishings comparable to those provided by Wyndham resorts might be a reasonable goal. Their resorts are pretty consistent in the amenities offered--even down to the kitchenwares provided--making for a comfortable stay. Anything beyond that level of quality is probably not worth the cost, given Twin River's limitations.

Just my 2 cents. ;)