• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Improving an older resort to cater to exchangers' tastes, what items are MUST haves?

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with comfortable chairs, recliners preferably and good reading lamps in living room and bedroom. I hate dim lights. Also, good quality towels and linens. We stayed at a really nice resort that had Motel 6 towels, tiny and thin and it was very unimpressive. Good knives and especially firm and comfortable beds. DVD players in living room and bedroom and stereo systems are nice. In the mountains, I think nice touches would be popcorn poppers and a free bag of popcorn. Fireplaces that work, at least with gas etc.
Liz

Steve

Reaction score
Hi Cindy,

This is a great project you are working on...upgrading your resort...and it's cool that you are getting input from a lot of timeshare travelers here on TUG. Here are my preferences:

I like flat screen TVs, but I prefer that they not be over the fireplace. A nice painting/print...such as a mountain landscape scene since you are in Colorado...is a more classy look over the fireplace than the TV. Also, as has been previously mentioned, most TVs over fireplaces are too high to be viewed comfortably (unless the room is huge and the sofa is clear at the other end).

I prefer a king or queen bed in the 2nd bedroom rather than twins. I often invite my parents to come on timeshare vacations, and it's very nice to have one large bed for them in the guest bedroom. Obviously, with teenage children, it would be better to have the twins. Preferences on this seem to vary based on family size, ages, and how people travel.

Whatever theme you go with (mountain, rustic, contemporary, traditional, etc), carry it throughout the whole timeshare. It's much more appealing when there are complimentary colors and decor throughout all of the rooms. I prefer darker colors for a resort in the mountains. Comfortable chairs, good lighting, and free wifi...as others have mentioned...are all very important.

Good luck with your redecorating!

Steve

Charlie D.

TUG Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents worth:

Sofa beds suck but just about every resort has one. A cheap way for resorts to add 2 people to the accommodations list. We have a pretty expensive hide-a-bed and the bars still kill anyone that weighs more than 100 pounds. If it ever came to it, we’d take an air mattress for our grandkids to sleep on.

Actual comfort beats looks any day as far as easy chairs are concerned.

Agree with the flat screens

Good solid oak is OK for me in the bedroom – I’m just looking for somewhere to put my underwear in anyway.

Nice paint and artwork goes a long way to giving one that “wow” feeling when first entering a unit.

Cost is probably prohibitive but extra long twins are better for adult guests in the guest room than twins. Twins work great for kids though.

Free WiFi would be nice but I would guess pretty expensive for the owners’ annual MF. If no WiFi is available at least a rent-a-WiFi would be nice. That way someone who has their lap top can access it on an “as needed” basis.

I think a lot of ideas are coming in from those of us who do not own there and so therefore do not have to worry about the MFs. In that case, gold plated bathroom fixtures – no, just kidding but as a board member you already know you have to look out for the owners’ costs.

Charlie D.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree Murphy beds are better to sleep one than sofabeds. One of my resorts has them and I have slept on the Murphy bed at least 10 nights in the past 2 years. Can't tell the diffence from my bed at home as it is a real bed.

Floridaski

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt
Try this company for great sofa beds and chairs

Rick and Cindy,

Check out this local Summit County company that manufactures sofa beds and chairs specifically for the resort industry. You can pick out your own fabrics and style.

They are a great company to work with and their sofa beds are the most comfortable and well built that you will find. You just CAN NOT find a high quality, RETAIL sofa bed that will stand up to timeshare use. This company does not sell to the retail trade but only to high end resorts. I think they will be more then happy to sell to a timeshare. We found them via Keystone Resort Management of Vail Resorts. Obviously, Vail Resorts has a relationship with Sofa Mec but they were willing to sell to us for our one individual unit in a Keystone development.

We have first hand experience with this company and it is worth going out to look at their designs. Their furniture will more then likely cost you less or the same as normal retail.

Here is the link

http://sofamech.com/index2.htm

Last edited:

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Additional Thoughts

Twin vs. Queen. On second thought, I'm not sure which is best. We have twins in our condo here, but the reason is they were here when we bought the condo. Most of our guests are couples or one person, so a queen might be preferable to them. Occasionally have had 2 grandkids (boy and girl), so then the twins work out better.

The one thing that bugs me most about timeshares is the lack or dishes. They only have the number of plates, etc. for the number of people a unit sleeps. Sometimes you have company, sometimes you've used a plate or two, etc. and don't have enought to serve a meal on. Also in smaller units (sleep 2 or 4) it causes you to run the dishwasher more often that necessary because you run out of plates.

Nancy

CATBinCO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Free wi-fi, for sure.

I'm in CO too and I like the idea of lodge/rustic theme for the decor.

Something I noticed at a recent stay in Breckenridge is how I really wanted a DVD player in the master bedroom. Sure, there's usually one in the main living room. But I would love for there to be a DVD player in every bedroom. Also, I hope the size of the TV is appropriate to the room. We stayed at the Marriott in Breck recently and the TV in the master bedroom was too far away from the bed and too small for the room. I don't really care whether it's flat screen or not, but it needs to be the appropriate size for the room at least!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We actually do have wireless internet in units, which I was able to try out while we were there in July. The wireless worked well for me, and I believe we are still in testing stages on connectivity in all units. My particular unit is very close to the clubhouse, so I had a strong signal. Some units are not getting a great signal, but that is a work in progress. Wireless internet is a must have, that is for sure. Gotta be able to access TUG! :rofl:

Janie, I am so glad you weighed in here, being an owner. The televisions haven't gone into the bedrooms yet. I am pushing for televisions in both bedrooms, mounted on the walls, which would be back-to-back, easy for cable installation.

Drawer hardware is a great idea, but I would have a difficult time picking something that would work on a contemporary oak drawer. I have been trying to picture what would look good. I think it's a great idea.

We have such a love for the place, it really is hard to be objective. I think (most of) the kitchens are gorgeous. The lino is cheap, but I don't know how those floors will hold quarry tile and underlayment. The builder originally didn't do a very good job in building the place. We do have some that were done in quarry tile, which is cracking like crazy (NY8 has the quarry tile), and that is because our management company hired a company that did a lousy job and didn't use cement board under the tile. I am pretty angry about that, but the most important thing to do right now is FIX it.

What do you all think of bringing the quarry tile into the dining rooms? The president wanted linoleum brought into that area. UGH! :eek: I cannot stand the idea of lino in a dining room. We are going to have the paneling on that one dining room wall taken off for sure. It's dark and dreary. BA7 has the paneling off, and they also cut one of the kitchen walls that face the dining room to create a counter that separates dining room and kitchen. It looks very updated, and is a great place for the phone.

Spruce green would be a great color. Love the idea of great barbecues, but we cannot have them on each deck because this is a high fire area, and the codes require that grills be in the open.

We lack wall space in these units, which is why the pres was wanting the flat screens on the wall above the fireplace. The fireplace takes up a full corner of the room, angled. There is no other place for a flat screen, unless we have the same old televisions stands, which I disdain. Some of the televisions, in the end units, sit right in front of the windows. I would like to get rid of those small windows.

The living rooms are very small. That is one thing about the place that is very limiting. We cannot do any kind of pit group or sectional, unfortunately. There is only one wall that can even hold a sofa, and the two chairs have only a space in front of a window. We were talking about an ottoman for the chairs, but must choose between coffee table and ottoman, basically. I think we should have a cushion made that fits on the coffee table, maybe? Or a coffee table that is upholstered, with a tray in the middle. I saw one of those while searching online. The current coffee table is smaller than it needs to be, but not by much.

Our maintenance fees were traditionally very low, but they weren't covering any replacements of anything, so we are using a special assessment that we have been billing for 3 years now, and it was mostly used by the kitchen remodels and the exterior work. We have two years left of the assessment, which is going to be enough to do just about everything I am imagining, barring any unusual expenses, like roof replacements.

Our sheets are very high quality, and they aren't even white, they are light green. The king pillows on the new beds were also amazingly comfortable, but I don't know whether they were high quality or not. I thought the towels were good, too, but I cannot remember how thick or large. I think they were better than the standard. If not, we can do that easily enough.

Janie, love the idea of the outdoor hot tub, with a nice landscape surround. I guess we could even do the outdoor hot tub on the existing deck in the clubhouse, if it is big enough. I have never thought of an outdoor hot tub, but the idea is a really great one. I suppose the whole owners won't go for it because they would have to pay half of the cost, and they don't tend to okay anything that will require a huge assessment. And, frankly, I wouldn't appreciate them using something we purchased, so we couldn't do it without their 33/60 portion of the cost. I am going to a meeting with them on Saturday, to represent the timeshare owners.

I would LOVE an outdoor hot tub. We have those on every deck at Val Chatelle, and we use it every day during our weeks there. I think a hot tub would require an enclosure with a good roof that would withstand the heavy snow. Otherwise, how would you get into it. And the snow fall would really cool it off quickly if it was open to the weather, so we would probably have to keep it covered (and then you have lots of people pulling of the cover and not putting it back on). I will think about this more before bringing it up on Saturday. Perhaps I should call a few hot tub stores and get ideas.

I will bring up the landscaping issue along Nystrom and Ptarmigan buildings with the board as well.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't care if the countertops are granite or not. (I can't tell if they are!) And stainless appliances don't appeal to me; they are always full of fingerprints. White appliances make the kitchen look bigger; I hate black ones.

Here's what matters to me:
*free wifi
*comfortable sofabed (Lazyboy has a good one)
*comfortable chairs in the living room + one in the bedroom
*plenty of lamps
*DVD player with more features than play only
*lounge chair on the balcony (if it has a balcony/lanai)
*microwave with more than on/off buttons (I like a popcorn setting)
*storage containers for leftovers, cutting board, sharp knives
*coasters
*good quality mattress
*plenty of towel racks in the bathroom, including both sides of the sink
*plenty of hangers for the number of people allowed
*thick towels and washcloths

Boy, you hit it right on the head!

I like to read and can't believe the lack of lights and comfortable seats.

Also, i want something on each side of the bed, a lamp and a surface. And i want some towel racks in the bathroom.
The wrost place for comfort was staying at Holiday Hills, no drawers, no racks, no closets, not bedstand.

I don't care if they have granite countertops, I am only there for a week to relax and enjoy myself.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents worth..

(1) DO NOT spend extra money for any form of stainless appliances. In a few years people will look back at them in the same way we viewed Harvest Gold and Avocado in the kitchen.
(2) Yes on the hook-up for MP3 and other electronic devices, I am a grandma but I know it is where music is going.
(3) High grade linens -- but do a 'test wash and dry' on them before committing to a large quantity.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resort improvements at one OBX resort that have been most appreciated based on member comments have been:
1. free wifi
2. flat panel TV's - try to get ones with built in DVD
3. adding TV's in master BR or 2nd BR if not there already
4. right-sizing furniture from overly large to that which is managable for the room.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Cindy,

Re: Flat pannel TV mounting locations, again our little SCI put in a swing arm mount for the flat pannel TV in each living area they update. The arm lets the users position the TV for the best view from where ever they are sitting and folds flat against the wall when not in use.

You indicated a lack of viable locations in the units, but an arm like this might provide you some additional possibilities.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Hey Carolinian! Yes, I think those additions are very important. Our living rooms are just so small, and I think we should be very careful not to buy furniture that will crowd that room.

There are so many complaints of dirty carpet through the II comment cards. I don't know how we can combat that, unless we clean the carpet every week, but then people would complain that the carpet is wet. :wall: I wish people would take better care of the carpets in timeshare units. It is the one thing we cannot take care of as well as we would like.

I am very interested in that television mount that is adjustable.

smcintos

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Cindy ; Here is my idea, why don’t we pull the carpet in the entry hall, dining room, and living room and replace it with a nice wood or composite wood floor. We could then add some nice area rugs in the large rooms and they would be much easier to maintain. We can leave the carpet in the bedrooms. If a area rug gets ruined we can replace it without much cost. The wood floors also go along with the mountain lodge décor.

Steve
:wave:

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Unlike most people, I don't care about big screen or flat screen TVs. But I do want one in the bedroom/master bedroom.

When I go with a friend, we book a one bedrooom, thus we need a sofabed since we don't share the only bed. And sometimes we don't want to watch the same TV show at night, so a second set in the bedroom helps.

Cindy, I think it's great you're getting input like this.

Janie

Reaction score
I love the wood floor idea! There are some inexpensive pre-finished engineered wood floors out there that wear very well and are quick and easy to install.

Maybe the entry hall s/b ceramic tile that continues into the kitchen. With everyone coming in and out with ski boots, the entry hall gets really wet.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I love the wood floor idea! There are some inexpensive pre-finished engineered wood floors out there that wear very well and are quick and easy to install.

Maybe the entry hall s/b ceramic tile that continues into the kitchen. With everyone coming in and out with ski boots, the entry hall gets really wet.

Janie, when are you going to join the board? :) Are you coming to the annual meeting?

Steve, we can talk about that at the annual meeting, and I know you will be there. Are you coming the day before?

smcintos

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes I will be arriving in Denver at 11:40 am Friday, I understand we are meeting at the resort on Friday so I have a rental car reserved. Got a great deal on the car through priceline for $32.00 total. I am so happy to finally get started. Now lets just keep the train moving. I also like the idea of Flat screen TV's they look classy, and the leather chairs sound great. I did not go during my week but my family did and they said carpet needed help. Thats why I thought of the wood floors.

Steve

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

barndweller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cindy, Here's a thought I'll throw out on the twins vs queen bed problem. We own at Masters Villas in Mesquite. It is a really small complex with maybe 25 units, all 2 bedroom. Most have a king in the master, queen in the 2nd bdrm and a sofabed in the LR. There are about 1/4 of the units with twins in the second bedroom. When we reserve we can request the confuguration we need. You might consider doing a few units with twins but most with queens in the second bedroom.

smcintos

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cindy:

The chairs seem very nice and look to be good quality. You can’t beat the price 2 for $599.00. I would vote for these as long as we can afford them. I did some checking on wood laminate flooring and prices range from around $2.00 per sq foot to about $ 4.00. All the flooring I looked at had either a 25 or 30 year warranty. I don’t know how big the rooms are but I think flooring can be done with a low cost and big improvement. We need to get big changes for the least amount of money, of course without sacrificing quality. Let me know if you need me to help check prices and such on ideas. Always glad to help.

Steve

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cindy:

The chairs seem very nice and look to be good quality. You can’t beat the price 2 for $599.00. I would vote for these as long as we can afford them. I did some checking on wood laminate flooring and prices range from around $2.00 per sq foot to about $ 4.00. All the flooring I looked at had either a 25 or 30 year warranty. I don’t know how big the rooms are but I think flooring can be done with a low cost and big improvement. We need to get big changes for the least amount of money, of course without sacrificing quality. Let me know if you need me to help check prices and such on ideas. Always glad to help.

Steve

Steve, when we are up there, let's be sure to go to James 4. That unit has all of the upgrades of paint and carpet, although the furniture is dismal, :( the paint is such an improvement.

The week of our visit is the maintenance week, so we can look at all of the units you want to see that day. I don't want to go through all 26, but it would be nice to give you a good idea of the varieties of furniture, carpet and linoleum in the units. I hate the inconsistency.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cindy, Here's a thought I'll throw out on the twins vs queen bed problem. We own at Masters Villas in Mesquite. It is a really small complex with maybe 25 units, all 2 bedroom. Most have a king in the master, queen in the 2nd bdrm and a sofabed in the LR. There are about 1/4 of the units with twins in the second bedroom. When we reserve we can request the confuguration we need. You might consider doing a few units with twins but most with queens in the second bedroom.

We could do that. Most of the owners are going to want to stay in their fixed unit /fixed week, but we can ask exchangers if they have preferences.

I still like the idea of adding a bed in the loft of the 3 bedrooms, then getting rid of the sofabed. There is no reason to have that many sofabeds at the resort. Beds can be had for a decent price, and I am all for a couple of queens, a pair of nightstands, and a dresser up in that loft.

The 2 beds just seem so small compared to the 3 beds, without that loft and 3rd bedroom.

Garnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa 2,31 MNCV 52, MSR 52, MDSV2, FSA
A good Designer is WORTH IT!!!!

I love a lot of the ideas out there-but, I am surprised about the designer comments. A good designer is worth every penny... These are decisions you and many other will live with for years. Maybe even try 2 designers for varying view points. I have a great one (sorry, SF bay area) that is really good at using what you already have in the home. Meaning, she is good at our limitations/space constraints. Yes, it will run $100 plus an hour---worth every penny.

Please...no off whites...nice honey yellow or tan to deep tan is sooo much more pleasing....think nice model homes.

Granite counters I think are a priority, and here to stay. Low maintenance and easy to clean. Problem with sharp knives, is so many people just throw all knives (including wood handled ones) in the dishwasher.

How about dish drawers? I usually run the dishwasher every day in a TS unit. Uses tons of water. Dish drawers would probably cost more to purchase initially-savings over time may make them worth it.

I like stainless-its a nice neutral. Not too important, but if you do-go with the "platinum" or brushed stainless for no finger prints.

BBQs on decks may cost too much. Nice multiple gas BBQs on property a must have. Same with jacuzzis.

I don't know what your game/activity room is like. A pleasant, well equiped game room can practically make a vacation during rainy/blah days...esp. if you if have kids with you.

But really...a good designer would be WELL WORTH the INVESTMENT you are about to make. :)

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A designer chose the pink chairs. :p

Yep, we might talk to a designer. I just don't want the one we had last time.

We cannot have BBQ grills on the decks; it is all about the fire codes in the dry mountains. There are grills in the community area outside. I need to check those out next month.