• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Improving an older resort to cater to exchangers' tastes, what items are MUST haves?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Older Colorado resort, I am on the board, and we still love the place and stayed there in July. To me, the 3 bedrooms are very nice, but the two bedrooms have lower ceilings (the 3 beds are above and are vaulted, with a loft area and 3rd bedroom).

Kitchens are new, mostly. I was under the impression that we had remodeled every kitchen identically, but our board's walkthrough of every unit was enlightening, because we basically don't have solid-surface countertops everywhere, just most of them, and the cabinets are all newer than originally, but some were obviously replaced earlier on, and those were not redone during the big refurb.

The huge decks are new, built with TREX, about six years ago. They are in great condition.

I pushed hard to get Select Comfort king beds in the masters (which are overwhelming the small master bedrooms now, which previous had queens). We bought the same ones that are in the Hyatts, so we feel really good about that decision, even though it's a bit crowded in that room now.

We also have new drapes and bedspreads.

It was obvious that the previous boards have replaced furniture only when necessary in the past, because we have a mish-mosh of upholstered furniture, but the wood furniture is identical.

Anyway, we are going to be replacing upholstered furniture and carpet, and we plan to repaint, including all the old stained woodwork that is pretty beaten up. We have a model unit that looks great, with all the previously stained wood now painted a nice tan color, and it looks very nice, even better than I imagined it would.

The units are practically a blank slate, and I just was wondering what you would all suggest for furnishings, electronics, etc., or if you have any other ideas. Bathrooms are standard baths, and I don't see how we could do whirlpool tubs, so that is out.

Also, what do you think of solid oak dressers, nightstands and end tables? We have had them in a medium oak for many years, and they are still in great shape. I hate to get rid of them. They are rather contemporary.

The kitchens seem to need better appliances than the standard ones, too. Is that important to you?

Any ideas would be much appreciated. The resort has pictures at www.twinrivers.org

Bill4728

Reaction score
One of the most important to me is a couple of comfortable chairs for when we sit and read. Some TS just don't have any. ( I hate that!!)

djp

TUG Member
Reaction score
three things that always speak to me of an upper end resort are granite counters, stainless appliances, and a flat panel tv

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Nice large, quiet ceiling fans in the bedrooms - not over the dining room table.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I was looking at that pair of leather chairs on Costco.com that are going to have a rebate starting tomorrow. They look nice, and they are only $599 delivered, but of course there would be sales tax.

The chairs we have now are pink, which is ridiculous in the mountains, and the cushions are as flat as a pancake. The chairs are just hard to sit on, so we need something of quality. They kept some of the older blue chairs, too. I cannot believe anyone would think those are okay to keep them this long. I am ready to order 26 pairs of those Costco chairs and just get them delivered tomorrow, but there are all those other board members that have to make decisions, too. :rolleyes: :rofl:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
three things that always speak to me of an upper end resort are granite counters, stainless appliances, and a flat panel tv
The counters the old board chose are very nice, but they are solid-surface, not granite. They have a speckle finish in them, but it is more of a grey color, which would go fabulously with stainless steel appliances.

I noticed that Sam's Club has a full appliance package, GE stainless, and it's only about $2,200. I spent more on my refrigerator than that! I would love to get those, too, but we have a few years of fees coming in to replace everything. Love the idea of stainless steel appliances.

We are discussing a flat panel television that is mounted on the stone above the fireplace, and a stereo/receiver and DVD player of some sort. This is a learning experience for me, that is for sure.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
Really good reading lights. So frustrating in many places to have no lamps beside the chairs or a light on only one side of the bed.

Comfortable chairs in colors that don't show stains easily. Decent enough cookware that you can actually cook something in it!

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I don't care if the countertops are granite or not. (I can't tell if they are!) And stainless appliances don't appeal to me; they are always full of fingerprints. White appliances make the kitchen look bigger; I hate black ones.

Here's what matters to me:
*free wifi
*comfortable sofabed (Lazyboy has a good one)
*comfortable chairs in the living room + one in the bedroom
*plenty of lamps
*DVD player with more features than play only
*lounge chair on the balcony (if it has a balcony/lanai)
*microwave with more than on/off buttons (I like a popcorn setting)
*storage containers for leftovers, cutting board, sharp knives
*coasters
*good quality mattress
*plenty of towel racks in the bathroom, including both sides of the sink
*plenty of hangers for the number of people allowed
*thick towels and washcloths

Last edited:

barndweller

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with linsj. I just returned from a week at 4 Seasons Aviara, one of the highest rated resorts in the US. They do not have granite counters. They are solid surface grey speckle. They do not have the newest stainless major appliances. They are higher quality and white but in perfect working order. It is the little things in the kitchens that make them outstanding like top quality knives that are sharp. Like good quality pots and pans. Like quality stainless service that doesn't bend when serving food. A drawer full of needed serving utensils like slotted spoon, ice cream scooper, wine cork puller, measuring spoons and cups, barbeque utensils. There was casserole dishes, microwaveable/storage containers, a cookie sheet. Things that are often missing in other resorts.

Important to us was the top quality gas barbeques that are clean and in excellent working condition. The patio/decks had confortable furnature including a lounge chair.

The interior decor was soothing colors, a pale yellowish cream color with co-ordinating draperies and furnature. Certainly a flat screen TV and in room wi-fi are important in todays timeshare. But, if the cable system must be the best available and not just basic TV. Front desk is really important. Friendly, welcoming staff, responsive to questions and needs of the guests.

Not many resorts have the budget available to the likes of Aviara but paint is cheep. Friendly, responsive customer service costs no more than that supplied by unresponsive employees.

We much prefer a comfortable easy chair over a designer chair that is only there to look good. Sometimes, easy maintenence seems to win out by default. Leather (which I have in my own home) is really pretty easy to maintain and wears well. At that price it may be a good choice!

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for those idea, linsj and Julie!

We have a management company that is not "on site" because they manage four other resorts. They have a building in downtown Winter Park, about five miles down the road, but they should always be available by phone without problems. I hope they are friendly to the exchangers, but I can only hope they are always courteous to exchangers and owners alike.

You are right about paint--it is cheap, and such an easy thing to do. I am pushing hard to get that painting done, and the colors they chose were really lovely, and very neutral. The resort is in the mountains, and tans/ off-whites are good. I wouldn't mind a wall or two painted a different color, like sage or even light brown, but I am no designer, and I doubt we will pay one, either.

Comfortable sofabeds can be a challenge. I think most are uncomfortable. Is there a brand that is better? Would anyone have any ideas on that?

Good knives are a terrible problem in timeshares. I agree wholeheartedly on that one. One of the board members is really wanting a good quality knife set, and he is also wanting to replace pots and pans more often than in the past. It seems like an easy and inexpensive thing to me, and he is the president, so we probably will do it.

The units have great stuff in the kitchens, like plastic containers with lids, nice cookie sheets, and even a crock pot (this is ski country). I hate the microwaves and want to replace those as soon as we can, but then again, that appliance package with Sam's has a nice microwave included, so I think we have to wait on it.

We need some adirondack chairs for the decks. That would be so nice, and they aren't very expensive.

Keep the ideas coming!

What colors for living room furniture?, since this is a blank slate we are working on here. I like the brown leather chairs that Costco has. I wonder what color for the sofa in that same room? Florals are not very logical for the mountains, and what brand?

I was going to bring up a suggestion at the owners' meeting on November 8th. I was thinking perhaps we should put another queen bed in the loft area of the 3 bedrooms, which is huge (and wasted space), with just a card table and another sofabed that is rarely used. We could forget the sofabed in the living room that way. I would love to get rid of half the sofabeds in the resort. Beds are just better, and the loft bed would be more private. I dislike sofabeds.

The second bedroom on the main level is identical in all 26 units, and we have twin beds in that room now. It is much bigger than the master bedroom (you never see that happen in any other resort). I think we should move the king bed to the bigger bedroom, then put a queen back in the old master. Then there would be plenty of room for a chaise lounge in the now master bedroom because the large wall is 14 feet. (There is no adjoining bathroom for either bedroom).

One of the other board members is opposed to that idea because he brings his grandchildren, and they would like to have their own beds. I think that is a ridiculous argument, and I would doubt that most people want twin beds, so I want to ask owners what they think.

This resort is 28 years old and lacks amenities that we take for granted when we travel. I love the place, though. I cannot help it because it was our first timeshare purchase when our daughter was 10 months old, and now she is 28. We cannot walk away, even though we have thought about it many times.

lprstn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Amenities are a MUST!!!!

A splash pool area for families, a nice pool near nice scenary. Hey an onsite waterpark never hurts.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wifi internet connection is HIGHLY desired! FREE Wifi is definitely a draw and something that I look for when traveling...even on vacation.

While many like the notion that they are away and on vacation, the laptop computer is much more of a personal appliance connecting us with friends, family, TUG as well as news in info. It needs to connect to the outside world to be useful. It's really more desirable than a phone in the unit these days.

As for the furniture, brown is, eh, well, brown. It's in right now and will be dated at some point in time. Still, it's likely to be acceptable longer than pink, orange or some other bright color.

I'm not sure stainless appliances are something I need or want at a t/s. Good working appliances, with an ice maker in the refrigerator and well stocked pots, pans, plastics, salt, peper, coffe maker and filters, cooking utensils and good size microwave go far. I've seen blenders at some places which are also used by us when there.

I also echo the statement about good BBQ's. I was floored when I found out on site that HHV didn't have BBQ's, nearly questioning how it could be a t/s property without them. SCI still has charcoal units and frankly, it's a pain. Gas grills are more useful when on vacation in a t/s in my opinion. I'm not sure how they did it but Gardens have a timer on the gas supply so they aren't left on all day and night.

At SCI we generally have small units in an older resort and flat screens made a huge difference when the units were re-done. They also didn't replace the cabinetry but had them refaced which helped stretch the budget a long ways.

Paint, while cheaper than beds and furniture, is NOT as cheap as you might think. As it's petrolium based, it tends to run more than one thinks when you do a resort. It obviously should be done regularly, but don't be surprised if the cost estimate is higher than you would have thought.

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Twins in bedroom 2

I like twins in second bedroom, plus a TV.

sstamm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with linsj. I just returned from a week at 4 Seasons Aviara, one of the highest rated resorts in the US. They do not have granite counters. They are solid surface grey speckle. They do not have the newest stainless major appliances. They are higher quality and white but in perfect working order. It is the little things in the kitchens that make them outstanding like top quality knives that are sharp. Like good quality pots and pans. Like quality stainless service that doesn't bend when serving food. A drawer full of needed serving utensils like slotted spoon, ice cream scooper, wine cork puller, measuring spoons and cups, barbeque utensils. There was casserole dishes, microwaveable/storage containers, a cookie sheet. Things that are often missing in other resorts.

Important to us was the top quality gas barbeques that are clean and in excellent working condition. The patio/decks had confortable furnature including a lounge chair.

I agree that the items in the kitchen should be of good quality. It would be nice to have one non-stick skillet or griddle in addition to good quality pots and pans.

Personally, having knives, pots and pans, utensils, silverware, dishes, etc. of good quality (and having enough of them) is much more important to me than whether the appliances are stainless steel or the countertops are granite. On the other hand, most updated kitchen have those 2 features and they do make a nice first impression.

Like others have said, good reading lamps are important. There should be one on each side of the master bed.

Again, this is just my personal opinion, and I realize it is a trendy thing to do, but I really dislike the TV over the fireplace. With most fireplaces, especially if they have a raised hearth, the TV ends up way too high, and it is umcomfortable for viewing and hard on the neck.

Sounds like you have some great ideas. I'm sure the owners will appreciate the efforts.

barndweller

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would suggest muted stripes on the sofas. Very nuetral as far as other decorating is concerned. Avoid florals or anything that isn't some sort of geometric shape. At least one nice sized upholstered (or leather-like) chair in a co-ordinating nuetral color with either an ottoman or recliner design. We enjoyed the recliner at Grand Timber in Breckenridge. Think about a murphy bed in the loft/3rd bedroom. That allows for comfort over yet another sofabed. The area could remain a sitting area for those that don't use the loft as a sleeping space. Push for the best bed linens the resort can afford. Believe me, better quality wears better and will last longer. Not to mention it looks & feels better.

Free wi-fi is really big. I personally don't need it (no laptop) but it is a really big desire of todays exchangers. Marriott charges for it. Shame on them.

Be careful not to make furnature too large and dwarf the space. Sheraton Desert Oasis has stupid oversized furnature that makes the units uncomfortable. I think the designer they hired must have laughed all the way to the bank!

It is a shame that HOAs don't get more input from owners & exchangers when they refurbish. Designer's may have a nack for choosing colors and little decorative touches but the actual occupants are much better at identifying what makes a room comfortable and inviting. I would much rather have warm and comfortable than trendy. Trendy will quickly become "yesterday." Things like granite counters & stainless appliances are too trendy. They will be obsolete in a few years.

I disagree with UWSurfer about paint. Relative to other decorating options, paint is cheap. Good painters, on the other hand, are not! Sloppy paint jobs can ruin an otherwise very nice room. And lack of ongoing maintenence (touch-up as needed) sets non-rated apart from 5* resorts. There wasn't a mark on a single wall or fingerprints on a single doorjamb at Aviara. You gotta believe that they have an ongoing program for paint touch-up.

Last edited:

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
The chairs we have now are pink, which is ridiculous in the mountains...

I couldn't agree more. It's important to me that resort furnishings reflect the region I'm visiting. I've never been to Colorado, but I would like to see lodge style furnishings as you suggest -- large comfortable leather chairs, oak tables and lodge theme bedding, (geometrics, rocky mountain or Native American maybe?). I also like the post and beam look of the entryway -- is this theme carried into the lobby as well?

Also, since in-room jetted tubs are out of the question, perhaps hot tubs placed on the decks of each unit would serve the same purpose. (A jacuzzi of some kind is non-negotiable for me since I don't have one at home!)

Sounds like the loft is under-utilized and think your plan is a good one. I also agree that beds are better than sofabeds, and prefer queen beds to twins.

I also agree with Barndweller on the kitchen equipment. I do a fair amount of cooking while vacationing and it just feels more comfortable to have good quality utensils, pots and pans and covered plastic containers.

I like granite countertops but if you have solid surface in excellent condition, I would keep those and replace them with granite as needed. I don't care if the appliances are stainless steel as long as they are fairly new and everything works.

I was at Marriott's KoOlina this summer and I liked that they not only had plenty of BBQs, but also the tools I used were borrowed from the adjacent pool building. The tools and BBQs were nice and clean too!

I hope these ideas are helpful. I also hope that your board appreciates your hard work. I know the owners and guests will!

Last edited:

Janie

Reaction score
Hi Cindy:

Every time I go to Twin Rivers, I daydream about what could be done to improve the units. So, I have a lot of suggestions! (Now, please keep in mind that I haven't been there in several years, so I haven't seen any of the renovations except in pictures. Some of my ideas may well already be in place.)

The Twin Rivers units have a really nice floor plan with great potential, and I'm so excited to see what the board has accomplished when we go again this winter.

OK, here are some ideas.

Moldings, doors, and trim: The units were built using the very cheapest available. It would't cost much and would improve the look of the unit greatly if the doors were replaced with solid pine panel doors and updated moldings.

I'm happy that the drapes, bedspreads, and upholstered furniture are being replaced! Leather chairs are a great idea!

Higher-end artwork and decor really help raise a unit above the average for me. Twin Rivers already has nice artwork--I'd love to see more local or regional artists prints. Nice candles and candle holders would be appreciated. Nicer table lamps would be an improvement.

I don't care much about stainless steel appliances or granite--as long as the kitchen is up-to-date and clean that's what counts. However, high-end cookware, knives, dishes, glassware, etc. really make a big difference--and only a small investment.

Please, no vinyl flooring in kitches, baths, entries. It also looks like someone was trying to cut costs, no matter how nice it is. Ceramic or stone tile gives the impression of quality and doesn't cost that much more.

Cheap/outdated light fixtures (ceiling lights, chandeliers) are another thing that really dates a place. I don't remember what the ones at Twin Rivers look like, so maybe they're already just fine.

The oak furniture is OK--it's solid and in pretty good condition the last time we were there, although they look at bit dated. If I remember correctly, the drawers have no pulls on them. Adding some nice hardware would be an inexpensive way to update them.

New dining room chairs would be nice. The ones in my unit look like cheap 1980s office furniture, and the upholstery is worn and soiled. Updated oak chairs to match the current table would be great!

I agree with you about the loft: it isn't really well-configured with the sofa bed, table, and (again really ugly) chairs. Another queen bed would be better, I think.

Love the idea of the flat-panel TV over the fireplace! I think you guys have already added a second TV in the master bedroom? That will be much appreciated!

The fireplace inserts could be updated: the one in my unit was so dirty that you couldn't see the fire through it. Maybe those have already been replaced.

Re: decor, please no florals or girly colors like mauve and aqua. I'd be OK with it, but my husband and sons moan and groan when we visit a timeshare that is aggressively feminine. Also, please no bears, moose, or fish stuff. I guess for a ski timeshare, I really liked the units at Grand Timber Lodge in Breck (and the outdoor hot tubs there)

Speaking of which, I know that we can't have a swimming pool, but could we swing a year-round outdoor hot tub with some nice landscaping around it?

And, one final thought, would it be possible to plant some trees between the complex and the highway? Those of us with units that face the highway and train tracks would really appreciate it!

Thanks for listening!

Oh, please keep the twin beds. You could move them to a different bedroom, and claim the big room for the master. But we always bring other families or relatives with us to stay in the three BR unit. Siblings, friends, cousins, etc. don't want to sleep together in the same bed so having the twins makes a big difference.

Last edited:

barndweller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rick and Cindy, you could over time, turn your resort into one of those "hidden gems." Not a flashy big brand wannabe but one of those places we all love that we tend to keep for our own use. I have mine and, although those that demand all the flash & glitz would pass it by, we return several times a year as owners and as exchangers because it is so comfortable and well managed. The decor is a bit dated but furnishings are comfy. The kitchens are better equiped than most I've seen. The grounds are lovely, not over the top but very pleasing. The staff is outstanding. First time exchangers are always pleasantly surprised and rate it well. That's what you should aim for. Make your resort a place that people love to come for vacation during any season because it provides a pleasant, relaxing, comfortable place for their family, with little touches that ordinary folks appreciate. (Think good gas barbeques instead of fancy on site restaraunt.) Let the big name brands duke it out trying to out-do each other with all the glitz while driving potential owners away with their exhorbitant MF. Good for you for taking such an active interest in your resort. Hats off to you.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
A few thoughts

The counters the old board chose are very nice, but they are solid-surface, not granite. They have a speckle finish in them, but it is more of a grey color, which would go fabulously with stainless steel appliances.

I noticed that Sam's Club has a full appliance package, GE stainless, and it's only about $2,200. I spent more on my refrigerator than that! I would love to get those, too, but we have a few years of fees coming in to replace everything. Love the idea of stainless steel appliances.

We are discussing a flat panel television that is mounted on the stone above the fireplace, and a stereo/receiver and DVD player of some sort. This is a learning experience for me, that is for sure.

Flat screens by all means - both because people like them and they open up space/table tops. DVD a must. Stereo/surround sound nice touch. Warning: We looked at stainless steel for appliances but our housekeeping department begged us not to do it. They are IMPOSSIBLE to keep looking nice as water marks, finger prints and stains show up despite the "stainless" name. We decided to stick with upgraded appliances but in white. Oh, get smooth top stoves both for looks and easier maintenance.

Jbart74

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry if I repeat some ideas here

Cindy,

These are a few of my favorite things in a Timeshare unit:

1. Non-stick skillets and pots. They don't have to be top notch, but it helps to leave a little countertop card reminding people to use the rubber utensils that are provided in the drawers. Some people just aren't familiar with the proper use and care of non-stick surfaces.

2. Quiet ceiling fans in EVERY room.

3. Sofabeds are horrible. If you MUST have one, I would check out Jennifer Convertibles Brand. The most comfortable I've ever slept on, and I grew up up sleeping on TS sofabeds :) But if you can avoid sofabeds completely, please do so.

4. Comfortable chairs on the patio/deck area. I hate getting to a TS with a great deck, great view, and two flimsy plastic chairs that I can buy for $5 at Sams or Costco. What a HUGE disappointment!!! We go places we like, presumably we like to sit outside and enjoy it, right? I love to read on the deck but usually have to drag a somewhat more comfortable chair from the living room out to the deck.

5. That brings me to comfortable reading chairs in the living room, or other areas of the unit. PLEASE!!!!

6. And the reading lamps to support such activities with REAL lightbulbs. Compact fluorescents are great for making dark places slightly brighter, but they are horrible for reading and can cause serious eye damage to readers who spend many hours reading under them.

7. Buy the $150 pillows and the $100 sheets... if you can. It makes everyone feel like royalty, especially if maybe they can't or won't afford them at home. I just did recently and it was the best thing I've done for myself in years! (as for Select Comfort Beds, do your research on them. They tend to last only a few years at best. That's from my research. I was about to buy a King Select Comfort but changed my mind after three days of research online)

8. As a younger TS guy, I'll offer one up for both me and all of your children who vacation with you. MP3 capable DVD/CD players attached to some decent speakers. Many people record hundreds of songs in MP3 format to one CD. (or thousands to one DVD) Having a DVD/CD player that is MP3 compatible is really important now and will be standard in just a few years. So if you're gonna buy new players, get them MP3 compatible.

9. Salt, Pepper, Sugar, Dry Creamer paks supplied at least for check in, and perhaps also available at the front desk for later in the week. (slightly off topic, but I hate not having that when I check-in)

10. Granite and Stainless is pretty, but clean and functional is much more important.

Okay, I'm done for now.

Good for you for gathering all of this data for your owners and board!

Good Luck!

John

Jbart74

TUG Member
Reaction score
Warning: We looked at stainless steel for appliances but our housekeeping department begged us not to do it. They are IMPOSSIBLE to keep looking nice as water marks, finger prints and stains show up despite the "stainless" name.

If you decide to go with stainless, check out 'Brushed Stainless.' That's what I've got in my kitchen. We are messy, I'll admit it, but the appliances never show any fingerprints, smudges, or watermarks. I love them! They get cleaned once a month, not because they are dirty, but because I feel bad that I haven't cleaned them more often. The tile kitchen floor needs to be cleaned twice a day!

JMHO

John

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
For furniture colors: How about navy and spruce green? They blend with your location and don't look dirty all the time.

rsnash

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd rather sleep on a futon than a fold out sofa bed.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
Twin beds in a second bedroom are preferred for me, too. We have two daughters who have never been able to sleep together - so we are always pleased to see a room with twin beds. Often in hotels, even though there are two queen beds, we end up having to add a cot so they don't have to sleep together.

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I find it impressive that you are doing so much homework - your fellow owners should be very proud of their board!

A gas grill (BBQ) on your wonderful deck is a MUST - we even take our own little one along if a T/S doesn't have one. Hey, it's my holiday and hubby loves to cook if a BBQ is involved!

About the sofa bed dilema, I actually slept on on that was comfortable (isn't that an oxymoron?). It was in my SIL's motor home and it had an air bed for the mattress. Don't know the brand. Someone finally got it right! But I must say, I have always liked the fact that WorldMark uses Murphy beds rather than sofa beds. Besides saving space, they are easier to put away when used. I have never slept on one myself, but my guests do tell me that they have been comfortable.

Also, several of the WorldMarks that we have stayed in had the ability to "bridge" the two twins in the second bedroom to create another King. This involved more than just pushing the two twins together - there was some sort of top that they put over the mattress before putting the sheets on. Again, I didn't try it myself, but our guests have always said it was great. Maybe you can find a WorldMark owner who can get you the details. This seems to be the best of both worlds.

And for me, free in-room Wifi trumps a flat screen TV. We rarely watch TV on holidays. Same with the granite and stainless kitchen. While it certainly IS top end, as long as the kitchen is serviceable, good knives, quality dishes and flatware and nice wine glasses are a better bang for the buck IMHO.

But that is why you posted this question, right? You are getting LOTS of opinions from timeshare users. Way to go!

I'm going to put this resort on my list of places to visit in a few years.....

LeAnn