• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Important finding may help halt age-related macular degeneration

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Important finding may help halt age-related
macular degeneration.

Richard

Reaction score
My dad is going on 86 and he has Glaucoma and AMD. He and his ophthalmologist found that Occuvite has stopped or slowed his disease progression. One time I was at WalMart, a couple women were talking about which is better, I shared my dad's eye health and one of them said the stuff helped her eyesight. Since it is a supplement, not a treatment/cure, it won't help everyone, but anecdotal evidence shows it does!

TS

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Ophthalmologist recommended another Bausch & Lomb product, AREDS2. It contains the exact same amounts of Lutein and Zeaxanthin as Occuvite. Best I can tell the only difference between the two is that AREDS2 contains more Vitamin C and Vitamin E than Occuvite...

George

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
It's very easy to get confused. The situation with these eye health supplements is analogous to toothpaste. If I go into the store to buy toothpaste, well, I'm going to find at least a dozen different types of Crest toothpaste. There's Crest with Scope, Crest with tartar control, Crest with baking soda, Crest whitening, and on and on.

Here is the Bausch and Lomb page for Ocuvite. Notice how many Ocuvite products there are: https://www.ocuvite.com/family-of-products

George is correct that the current recommendation for both the "dry" and "wet" forms of macular degeneration is the Preservision AREDS Formula 2. (Preservision is also from Bausch and Lomb, by the way.) Costco often has the best price, and often runs sales. Those with the "wet" form also receive injections of medication into the eye.

The original article that Richard posted is interesting because approaching treatment of macular degeneration via the complement pathway is a new idea. The injectable drugs that we have now target something called VEGF (Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor).

But as always, there is a problem with what's called the blood-retina barrier. The brain and the eye "protect" themselves so that many molecules circulating in your bloodstream can't get in. (That's why the anti-VEGF drugs are given by injection directly into the eye, to bypass the blood-retina barrier. The drugs would be useless if given by mouth or intravenously.) So even if there were some possible treatment that might aid macular degeneration patients by working on the complement pathway, an important question is how would it be administered. It would be wonderful to have a drug that could be administered as a pill, but it would have to penetrate the blood-retina barrier.