• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

IMHO OLCC Better Than Sheraton Vistana

Darlene

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at Sheraton last November, and I would never stay there again. I did not feel that the entire resort deserved a gold crown. Yes, there are nice units in the newer section, but very few exchangers ever see these units. Most exchangers are placed in the older units, and newer units when available are rented. The first unit we were assigned did not have working A/C. After an hour, we were finally moved to another old unit that was in desperate need of updating.
By contrast, OLCC has done a great job renovating the older units. We were in a golf villa, and the kitchen and furnishings were top notch. I had called ahead and asked for a unit close to the West Village Clubhouse. Upon check-in we were assigned in a unit far from the clubhouse. I mentioned that I had called ahead and made a unit request. She checked to see I had made a request, and assigned us a unit close to the clubhouse. I appreciated the way we were treated, even though we were not owners and were not interested in doing a sales pitch.
While the pools at both resorts are nice, again I thought OLCC pools were a notch above. I especially liked the lazy river, and the hammocks. The location of both resorts is close to Disney. I took the back route from OLCC into Disney. If you are trying to decide between these two resorts, definitely stay at OLCC.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Vistana doesn't have a gold crown rating.

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
As with all older resorts, it's cylical. These boards had hundreds of OLCC West Village complaints for years ... and Vistana is in the middle of a massive refurbishment that is slated to be completed next year.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Darlene, which section at Vistana? There are several areas of Vistana going through complete renovations right now, and you were unlucky enough to get one of the old units. I am not sure if all areas of Vistana are getting facelifts. I remember one HOA holding out.

I agree with Jerseygirl, refurbs can make the difference between a bad experience last time to a great one the next. My stay at Orange Lake in a high-rise (5 stories doesn't seem like a highrise), on South Magnolia Court, and it was pretty bad. Our older Fountains unit at Vistana wasn't as bad as the Orange Lake unit; I would rather have been at Vistana than Orange Lake, any day. Rick won't even consider a stay at Orange Lake again, unless we know which area ahead of time.

These mega resorts have a tendency to let things get really bad before they do something about it.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Sheraton Resort or Villiages?

I just got back from Sheraton Vistana Villiages and it was very nice, dedicated 2 bedroom. In fact it was one of the nicest I have stayed at.

Now if you are talking about Sheraton Vistana Resort than I could see why you might complain.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Want top don't go mega

These mega resorts have a tendency to let things get really bad before they do something about it.

ALL of them have the same issue. They have in the past been blended as one big resort with a (usually high) ranking. Lately there has been a move toward sectioning them off as individual resort numbers - that helps. But at any "mega" there is simply no way to know where they will put you and what condition your section and/or unit will be in. They are too large to be consistently kept up or equally renovated. We have found that to avoid that problem we tend toward the full featured but smaller - and often far better located - resorts, preferably with a ranking. That seems to come closest to giving us a good chance at the type of unit quality they have in pictures, an up to date unit (for the ranking) and nice but not overwhelming grounds/activities on site. Being able to walk to things - including many restaurants and stores - is a big plus that no mega resorts can offer.

weidjx

Reaction score
jeffcarp

here are the back directions to disney from OLCC. It essentially puts you on Osceola Parkway right next to the Animal Kingdom and the remaing parks are minutes away. Once you are Osceola Parkway it is well marked to all the Disney properties.

Back Way Directions to Disney

Continue west on 192 (Irlo Bronson Highway) going under the Route 429 overpass (which is just after OLCC) and get into the left lane at the next traffic light. Turn left onto Black Lake Road and continue to where it ends at Sherberth Road. Turn left onto Sherberth. This road winds along to the intersection with Osceola Parkway (Animal Kingdom Lodge is to the left and entrance to Animal Kingdom Park as well as the way to World Drive is to the right. From that point just follow the signs to the parks (it's a left turn to get onto World Drive to go to Hollywood Studios, Epcot and the Magic Kingdom so you'll probably want to get into the left lane after you go past the Animal Kingdom Park area).

You can also get to Sherberth Road without using Black Lake Road by staying on 192 and continuing to its intersection with Sherberth. When 192 traffic is light that can be just a tiny bit faster. But then 192 traffic isn't always light.

timetraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
LMBO...and now the entire internet world knows the back way in! :rofl:

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
C*pr*ss P**nt* ?

We have found that to avoid that problem we tend toward the full featured but smaller - and often far better located - resorts, preferably with a ranking. That seems to come closest to giving us a good chance at the type of unit quality they have in pictures, an up to date unit (for the ranking) and nice but not overwhelming grounds/activities on site. Being able to walk to things - including many restaurants and stores - is a big plus that no mega resorts can offer.
Any timeshares you know of which fit that description ?

Maybe this one ?

Or possibly that one ?

Just wondering.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virignia, USA.​

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
That left from Black Lake to Sherbeth can be tricky, especially if there is traffic going south on Sherbeth leaving property, because it backs up past that intersection. Plus it only saves you one light. I tend to prefer taking 192 all the way to entry point/sherbeth, and turning left from there.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
My stay at Orange Lake was pretty bad. Our older Fountains unit at Vistana wasn't as bad as the Orange Lake unit; I would rather have been at Vistana than Orange Lake, any day. Rick won't even consider a stay at Orange Lake again,

I'm with you - Orange Lake is one place I'll never go back to.

borntotravel

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Darlene - I have to agree 100% with you. We stayed at Vistana Villages in the "nicest" section everyone recommended and it was a dump. We won't stay there again either, but we love OLCC. We have yet to stay in the unit we own because we keep exchanging it for a different week.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Shocka !

We stayed at Vistana Villages in the "nicest" section everyone recommended and it was a dump.
That's the 2nd TUG-BBS complaint I've seen about Vistana Villages, & to me it's astounding & semi-shocking to see, because Vistana Villages was so fabulous when we saw it on (sales) tour in 2003 & even more so when we stayed there on Instant Exchange in January 2007.

I'm not doubting a word you say -- only expressing amazement that anybody's experience at Vistana Villages was substandard.

Orange Lake is on our "some day" list, if we are ever able to snag a future exchange there.

Our only semi-concerns about Orange Lake, other than its mega-resort size, are its location way out there past everything on Rt. 192 & the risk of getting a unit that's downwind of the Reedy Creek Improvement District sewage treatment plant.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Darlene - I have to agree 100% with you. We stayed at Vistana Villages in the "nicest" section everyone recommended and it was a dump.

Everyones entitled to thier own opinion but to say Vistana Villages is a dump is an extreme exaggeration.

Darlene

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did not stay at Vistana Villages. I thought that these were newer, nicer units.
We stayed at Sheraton Vistana in the Courts, one of the old sections that we were told had been updated <5 years ago. It had a view of the back of another building, and no patio. The kitchen still had formica countertops, and old cabinets. The bathrooms were seriously outdated with wallpaper and the towel racks wouldn't stay on the wall. The carpet was badly stained, and the couch was low quality. I talked to many SV owners who purchased back when t/s were $5000 brand new. When they come back to their home resort, they are not allowed to stay in the newer section of the resort. I posted a review under resort reviews. SV does not deserve a GC when over half there units are so old and outdated.
OLCC has refurbished their golf villas quite nicely. We stayed there 5 years ago, and while the unit was large and clean, it was seriously outdated. I love the new kitchens, baths, and furniture. I did call ahead and request an updated unit close to clubhouse. They had actually documented my request. Sorry you got a bad tennis unit (high rise) I know many have been recently renovated. I also felt we were treated better at OLCC as exchangers.
I agree with bnoble. It's best just to turn onto Sherbeth. Traffic can back up alot on BLack Lake road.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Darlene - I have to agree 100% with you. We stayed at Vistana Villages in the "nicest" section everyone recommended and it was a dump. We won't stay there again either, but we love OLCC. We have yet to stay in the unit we own because we keep exchanging it for a different week.

We stayed in the oldest section of Vistana Villages this past December, building 2, and it was very nice, very upscale, with the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on in a timeshares, and very nice furnishings. I think you are confusing your resorts, possibly you were at Vistana, which does have old sections. But Vistana is refurbishing all of their older units. Are you sure it wasn't Vistana?

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
I believe people are confusing Vistana Resort with Vistana Villages. They are two separate places.

bward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vistana Villages and Vistana Resort

Hi Alan and Transit

I'm with you. I don't see how any section of Vistana Villages could be called a dump. It's all brand new. Not saying there wasn't an issue, but a dump?

I'm also guessing one of the older, pre-furb sections in Vistana Resort is the likely culprit.

And that leads me to this: why on earth did SVO name its second timeshare project in Orlando Vistana Villages? Why not give it a unique name to avoid this confusion? It's hard enough to keep the various sections of each Vistana straight, but to give the two resorts (roughly) the same name just leads to all kinds of issues.

I've never been to OLCC, so I can't chime in on this debate. However, I own at Vistana Villages (been there once) and have gone to Vistana Resort three times: Springs, Lakes, Cascades, and had a wonderful time each vacation.

I don't, however, wear pink shades, or drink the Kool-Aid, and I understand where traders being placed in an older section of Vistana Resort would have an issue.

That said, these refurbs at Vistana Resort sound incredible. Nearly everything is being replaced in these units. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them were being reduced to their studs and then rebuilt.

Long overdue? Absolutely.

Once this is complete, here's hoping Vistana RESORT gets its Gold Crown back.

As for the VILLAGES (on International Drive) if conditions there are truly so bad that some units are truly dumps, I want to know about it.

Take care,

bward

shame711

Reaction score
I own at Vistana but stayed at OLCC last November. Both seemed about the same to me for mega resorts. Our unit was a tad older (VCR but no DVD) but we are not picky. I would assume after the refurb at Vistana it will be back up to Gold Crown.

Looking back I wish I had bought at OLCC. I love to golf but won't even think about it at on vacation until the kids are older. Plus I was told (not sure how true it is) that when the West Village was refurbed there was no special assessment. That would be nice considering I just paid Vistana $1200. Didn't like paying for internet at OLCC when its free at Vistana. I do like the location of Vistana better and the overall layout of the complex. If you are aware of the trading issues with Orlando and still want to own there for the money (resale of course) I don't think you can go wrong with either resort. They both have their pros and cons.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
It would be hard to compare these two resorts based only on one stay in each---there is just that much variance from unit to unit.

Then again, that's one reason I'm not super excited to exchange into either. I'd take an exchange if I was pressed, but luckily that's usually not the case.

borntotravel

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I got the two switched. I have never been to Vistana Villages, it was Vistana Resort - and the condo WAS A DUMP! The resort itself and the exterior of the building was nice, but the unit was horrible and nasty. The carpet should have been replaced ages ago, so filthy with stains that I wouldn't walk in my bare feet on it. May apoligies to Vistana Villages, but my comments and experience with Vistana Resort still stand, and I will not go back there!

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
We hated OLCC on our one stay, but I'd be willing to give them another try now that they've divided the sections up.

My kids complained all week that they'd rather be at Vistana. I wish they would divide the sections there. The Courts have always given the whole resort a bad name, though I just read here that they are being updated as well. Maybe with all the renovations, the Gold Crown status will come back.

Sheila

timetraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at Vistana but stayed at OLCC last November. Both seemed about the same to me for mega resorts. Our unit was a tad older (VCR but no DVD) but we are not picky. I would assume after the refurb at Vistana it will be back up to Gold Crown.

Looking back I wish I had bought at OLCC. I love to golf but won't even think about it at on vacation until the kids are older. Plus I was told (not sure how true it is) that when the West Village was refurbed there was no special assessment. That would be nice considering I just paid Vistana $1200

You were told correctly. NO special assessment for our stripped down to the studs refurb!:cheer:

gjw007

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the problems on this board with responses is that there is an assumption that what each individual likes, then others should like it as well. For example, the comment that being able to walk to dining facilities is seen as a big plus. Actually one of the reasons I like OLCC is because it is not cramped into a small space. I own at Vacation Village at Parkway which when all is said and done will have almost as many units as OLCC currently has without the amenities but all 20 buildings are in a small property. The ability to walk, have the space to do so to me, being able to park near my building and unit without being 3 or 4 buildings over, etc. is more important than being near restraurants. One of the reasons I bought a timeshare was so that I could cook in the unit rather than be forced to go to restraurants otherwise I would just stay in hotels or studio units. Neither choice is right or wrong because it is an individual choice but it is wrong to suggest that it is a negative for somebody else if you don't know what they like. Many of the items that are used to evaluate timeshares or experiences fit this description and so while each evaluation is important, it must be evaluated in regards to individual likes and desires.

It has been 5 years since I have stayed at the Fountains II area at Vistana Resort. I liked Vistana but not as much as I like OLCC. I have heard people describe both Vistana and OLCC as dumps but that has not been my experience. It is interesting that I have stayed at places that other people have praised only to be very disappointed. Summer Bay has been the worst experience that I have had but others love it. As others have noted, both Vistana and OLCC have major renovations done to the units (OLCC didn't charge the owners a special accessment, Vistana did). As an aside, Summer Bay has also renovated the units in the building that I was in after my stay.

I do agree that the VCR's need to replaced with DVD's and should have been over 5 years ago. DVD's are less than $50 so they are no longer expensive. No resort is perfect whether it be OLCC, Vistana, Sheratan, Disney, Cypress Pointe, Hilton, etc. as there are always decisions that have to be made to keep things within reasonable expense for the owners and as such, some things are left out.