• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I'm in Aruba now!

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
A little unknown secret, hurricane rarely hit the ABC Islands.

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
Arrive at the Marriott Aruba Surf Club on Friday Sept. 25th for a 9 week stay (may extend :cool: ). PCR Covid test completed in Houston at 3PM Tuesday and received results (Negative!) 8AM Wednesday. All documentation updated on the Aruba website and have an Aruba "Qualified to Board" pass to board the plane in Miami plus paid the Aruba Covid insurance fee. We will need to file for a visa extension of tourist stay in Aruba in person at the DIMAS prior to completion of 30 days. Will post updates in the Marriott Forum tread

What is the Best US Based Resort to Quarantine for 6+ weeks?

once we are there as a continuation of my Marriott timeshare adventure (174 nights at Marriott Ko Olina 2020) while waiting for approval to get back overseas. Not likely to tour much (we have already done most things on the island) and just looking to relax. Looking forward to One Happy Island!

To the moderators any chance to move this post to the tread above?

Last edited:

twise625

TUG Member
Reaction score
Arrive at the Marriott Aruba Surf Club on Friday Sept. 25th for a 9 week stay (may extend :cool: ). PCR Covid test completed in Houston at 3PM Tuesday and received results (Negative!) 8AM Wednesday. All documentation updated on the Aruba website and have an Aruba "Qualified to Board" pass to board the plane in Miami plus paid the Aruba Covid insurance fee. We will need to file for a visa extension of tourist stay in Aruba in person at the DIMAS prior to completion of 30 days. Will post updates in the Marriott Forum tread

What is the Best US Based Resort to Quarantine for 6+ weeks?

once we are there as a continuation of my Marriott timeshare adventure (174 nights at Marriott Ko Olina 2020) while waiting for approval to get back overseas. Not likely to tour much (we have already done most things on the island) and just looking to relax. Looking forward to One Happy Island!

To the moderators any chance to move this post to the tread above?
I just booked 2 weeks at the Marriott Surf Club with ACs - just could not resist the price - 2 bedroom units one week was $209, the other was $299. DH and I will be there 10/10-23. Now the challenge will be to find somewhere local that will do the rapid PCR test at all much less at a reasonable price. I'm thinking they will not bill insurance (and should not) for testing needed for travel.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I just booked 2 weeks at the Marriott Surf Club with ACs - just could not resist the price - 2 bedroom units one week was $209, the other was $299. DH and I will be there 10/10-23. Now the challenge will be to find somewhere local that will do the rapid PCR test at all much less at a reasonable price. I'm thinking they will not bill insurance (and should not) for testing needed for travel.
Try Walgreens or test at the airport for 75 bucks

James G

Reaction score
Be sure to check your state. Some states are not allowed to test at the airport and it changes based on how the Aruban government sees your home states Covid control.

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
2 of my 9 weeks are on $299 II AC's. Checked in Surf Club today. 3 Points weeks, 2 II AC's and 4 II Getaways. 12th floor Ocean Side Lighthouse building. Awesome View. They will keep us in the same room. No room service for 9 weeks but all we have to do is call for clean sheets and any other supplies to be delivered at anytime to our door. PCR Covid test in Houston received results back in less than 24 hours. We needed to show printed Aruba approval, insurance paid and Covid test results when checking in Houston. In Miami we needed to show printed Aruba approval, Covid test results and boarding pass. In Aruba we needed to show printed Aruba approval, Covid test results and passport. Process was fairly quick in Aruba until I had to circle back and pay $88 tax on 4 liters of excess alcohol. Customs agent was good and said it was still cheaper than buying locally. Couldn't resist the Miami Duty free Johnny Walker Black 1 liter 3 for $99 special. Well worth the time and tax!

Last edited:

twise625

TUG Member
Reaction score
2 of my 9 weeks are on $299 II AC's. Checked in Surf Club today. 3 Points weeks, 2 II AC's and 4 II Getaways. 12th floor Ocean Side Lighthouse building. Awesome View. They will keep us in the same room. No room service for 9 weeks but all we have to do is call for clean sheets and any other supplies to be delivered at anytime to our door. PCR Covid test in Houston received results back in less than 24 hours. We needed to show printed Aruba approval, insurance paid and Covid test results when checking in Houston. In Miami we needed to show printed Aruba approval, Covid test results and boarding pass. In Aruba we needed to show printed Aruba approval, Covid test results and passport. Process was fairly quick in Aruba until I had to circle back and pay $88 tax on 4 liters of excess alcohol. Customs agent was good and said it was still cheaper than buying locally. Couldn't resist the Miami Duty free Johnny Walker Black 1 liter 3 for $99 special. Well worth the time and tax!
Thanks this is helpful. I think I have found someplace local to test, hopefully they will be able to get it done in the required 72 hours! About that 72 hours, I am trying to decide if it runs from the first leg of your flight or from the boarding time of your connecting flight to Aruba. We are flying out of Nashville at 6:10 am but connect in Charlotte and that flight does not leave for Aruba until 9:40 am. I would hate to miss my 72 hour window by misinterpreting the start time. Anyone know how this is handled?

Good tip on the duty free. how much were you able to bring in without triggering the excess tax?

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks this is helpful. I think I have found someplace local to test, hopefully they will be able to get it done in the required 72 hours! About that 72 hours, I am trying to decide if it runs from the first leg of your flight or from the boarding time of your connecting flight to Aruba. We are flying out of Nashville at 6:10 am but connect in Charlotte and that flight does not leave for Aruba until 9:40 am. I would hate to miss my 72 hour window by misinterpreting the start time. Anyone know how this is handled?

Good tip on the duty free. how much were you able to bring in without triggering the excess tax?
Per the Aruba website it is 72 hours prior to departure. I believe they are looking when you start your trip 1st leg. Worst case scenario you get tested upon arrival. We tested 3PM on a Tuesday for a 6:05AM flight out of Houston with a 10:40AM connecting flight in Miami for a 1:27PM arrival so we were within the 72 hours.

You can bring in 1 liter per person. They have duty free in the baggage claim area.

No issues at the Surf Club getting pool chairs or Palapas. Went down at noon today and had a 2nd row Palapa with plenty of social distancing. They are wiping down each chair prior to use and there is no charge now.

Taxi driver from the airport said the island is at 16% visitors. Only 5 flights from the US were arriving on Friday.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Were you carrying the duty free bags through customs or did you have them packed in a suitecase?

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Were you carrying the duty free bags through customs or did you have them packed in a suitecase?
One bottle in suitcase, 3 bottles in backpack (Miami duty free) and 2 bottles purchased at Aruba duty free. They are scanning all bags from all passengers including the Aruba duty free purchases. They have time as you clear Aruba medical after collecting and scanning your baggage. They had 3 lines for medical and only a quick review of required documentation (took about 2 minutes) before you exit and catch a cab.

Last edited:

caribbeanqueen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Surf Club
We have reservations here with my daughter, husband and two grandchildren ages almost 14 and 10 by then. I am praying this virus is not as prevalent then. I feel for everyone who has had to cancel. Ibam using points from 2020 so hoping we do not lose them if we have to cancel.

twise625

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are here in Aruba. when we arrived 10/10 it was clear tourism was rebounding . Ours was one of 6 flights on the board that had arrived in about an hour. The line was fairly long at the airport, it took us about an hour to get baggage and clear customs and exit the building. Tip: Make sure and print a paper copy of your Covid test results, even if you did the online thing and uploaded the results. You will be asked for the paper copy repeatedly. The online version or the email you received stating that you your results are approved will never be referenced. I neglected to print out the covid test result and then was scrambling at my layover location to find a place I could print out my results...

22go

Reaction score
We are here in Aruba. when we arrived 10/10 it was clear tourism was rebounding . Ours was one of 6 flights on the board that had arrived in about an hour. The line was fairly long at the airport, it took us about an hour to get baggage and clear customs and exit the building. Tip: Make sure and print a paper copy of your Covid test results, even if you did the online thing and uploaded the results. You will be asked for the paper copy repeatedly. The online version or the email you received stating that you your results are approved will never be referenced. I neglected to print out the covid test result and then was scrambling at my layover location to find a place I could print out my results...
When your bags are scanned when you arrive in Aruba, what are they looking for? Because of dietary restrictions, we always bring meats packed in a small cooler in checked luggage. Wondering if this will be a problem this year. Would hate to have it confiscated.
Enjoy your trip! We are coming in a month also using one AC. What is your view? And will they keep you in the same room for the two weeks? Thanks for all the info!

twise625

TUG Member
Reaction score
When your bags are scanned when you arrive in Aruba, what are they looking for? Because of dietary restrictions, we always bring meats packed in a small cooler in checked luggage. Wondering if this will be a problem this year. Would hate to have it confiscated.
Enjoy your trip! We are coming in a month also using one AC. What is your view? And will they keep you in the same room for the two weeks? Thanks for all the info!
Because there were so many planes arriving at the same time and such a long line through customs, they were only randomly scanning bags - ours was not picked. I did overhear someone at the resort talking about having a cooler full of meat confiscated though so it seems that it would likely be a problem if they found it in a bag.
I requested an Ocean side view, but we were put into an Ocean View unit in the Compass building on the 6th floor. We are overlooking the lazy river and have a side view of the ocean. Not terrible but I did not expect too much coming on an AC. Yes, they are keeping us in the same unit both weeks. Still no problem getting 3rd row back chairs/palapas on the beach around 7:45 am. They are temporarily not charging for the beach palapas. The lazy river and pool area are pretty busy most of the day and evening.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Mostly likely they are looking for duty free items in order to charge you duty on them.

TTSDavid

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
TheTravelSecret
I'm in Aruba currently and I'm staying at Marriott's Aruba Surf club. For anyone who has questions about the Covid testing etc, I might be able to help. I traveled from a higher risk state in which I had to get a rapid (nasal) test done and uploaded 72 hours before arrival. I was able to get the test in my home state, which was no easy task, and uploaded it to the Aruba website. The only problem I ran into was that I had an antigen test done, and they only want a PCR test. However, the health authorities sent me an email clearing me to come with the understanding that I would be required to take another rapid nasal PCR test once I arrived. I am currently quarantined at the hotel waiting the results, which they said would take 6-8 hours, but up to 24.
Are you still in Aruba? How was the experience?

James G

Reaction score
My next stop is at the Grand Vista in December. Heading over to the Universal Islands of Adventure. Looking forward to trying the Beef Sunday Roast at Three Broomsticks. Might let the wife pick out a wand.

Attachments

• Harry-Potter-Rib.jpg
    Harry-Potter-Rib.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 19

twise625

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm in Aruba currently and I'm staying at Marriott's Aruba Surf club. For anyone who has questions about the Covid testing etc, I might be able to help. I traveled from a higher risk state in which I had to get a rapid (nasal) test done and uploaded 72 hours before arrival. I was able to get the test in my home state, which was no easy task, and uploaded it to the Aruba website. The only problem I ran into was that I had an antigen test done, and they only want a PCR test. However, the health authorities sent me an email clearing me to come with the understanding that I would be required to take another rapid nasal PCR test once I arrived. I am currently quarantined at the hotel waiting the results, which they said would take 6-8 hours, but up to 24.
Hey James, we've got a couple friends arriving tomorrow and it looks like their test results will not be back in time.
Can you shed some light on how the process worked for you? Were you able to get a taxi to the resort? What happened at check in? I confirmed with Marriott that they will be able to quarantine in our lock off room as long as we lock it off, but curious about how they will get to the resort and get into the room following the quarantine restrictions. Thanks! Tracy

James G

Reaction score
Hey James, we've got a couple friends arriving tomorrow and it looks like their test results will not be back in time.
Can you shed some light on how the process worked for you? Were you able to get a taxi to the resort? What happened at check in? I confirmed with Marriott that they will be able to quarantine in our lock off room as long as we lock it off, but curious about how they will get to the resort and get into the room following the quarantine restrictions. Thanks! Tracy
They do have a "cleared to board" from Aruba to make sure they can get on the plane at the airport right? If they do, I'm assuming they will be required to take another test at the airport, and then will be required to quarantine until they get their results back from the test at the airport which was within 6 hours for me. As far as the taxi and checkin, there was no issues.

James G

Reaction score
If they are from a state that Aruba doesn't consider high risk, they are allowed to test at the airport. If they required a pretest, like I had to get, the Aruban Health authorities sent me an email with a green check mark that I had to show Delta to board the plane in Atlanta. If I was from a lower risk state, I'm not sure if I would have had to have the "cleared to board email and green check mark."

twise625

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wanted to update for future travelers , our friends boarded the plane from Atlanta to Aruba without test results but had received them by the time they landed. They were able to pull them up on their phones and this was sufficient to allow them to leave the airport without re-testing or quarantining. It took some work, a supervisor had to be called but ultimately they not only accepted the results, they refunded the fees for the airport tests. So far the experience here has been great! I am sure that I have been spoiled by the low tourism.

merriot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes it is. Can't wait to get back there! Thank you for sharing your pictures! Living vicariously through all those brave enough to get out into the world!
I have a picture with one of those starfish! My husband picked it up in his hands thinking he was stepping on coral! It was a foot across! We have the best picture in the world of Pop, our granddaughter Maggie and wish Upon a starfish!!!!

Priscilla

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is an old post. But just to piggy back, I’m currently in Aruba now. I’m posting from room 4810 Marriot Aruba Surf. I love it. The view from the 14th floor is beautiful. So many good restaurants to eat from. We did the COVID test and had to upload it prior to departure. It has been very nice so far. For anyone who is on the fence, do it. It’s actually very calm with not too many people. I love it. I rented from a tugger which also saved me tons of money.

I will be very glad to answer any questions that anyone may have. I’m already planning a return in December with the kids and I haven’t even left yet.