• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I'll be gone for a while (and a few tidbits from my travels)....

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Terry. I will arrive on March 12 and leave late on the 23rd. I'll be staying at the Hilton Americas. Not sure if those first few days (13th/14th) are too late for the rodeo.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Dave- glad to hear that you had a great trip!!!
Hope your upcoming ones are just as delightful!

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Oh, how nice to see an update from you! It sounds like you're having a great time seeing the world, hope your upcoming trips are everything you hope they'll be. :)

taffy19

Reaction score
I'm back from a two-week Mediterranean cruise. Barcelona, Rome, Athens, archeological ruins in Turkey, pyramids and the Sphinx in Egypt and the structures of almost 6,000 years ago in Malta. Egypt, Turkey and Malta were new adventures for me, so I had an awesome time.

I checked in on TUG only once while I was gone because the Internet connection on the ship was lousy.

Next up is a 10-day bridge tournament in Houston, followed by a two-week cruise in the Caribbean - both later this month.

As I stated earlier, this first year of retirement is a year of travel, making up for not taking as many great vacations as I might have liked during my working years. :D
Those cruises sound fabulous and I am so glad for you that you enjoy your retirement, Dave. You have earned it so you deserve it. :)

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Responding to a question in another thread, I didn't want to derail that thread....

I'm headed for Houston tomorrow morning to play in a big 11-day bridge tournament (North American championships). I'll take in the rodeo while I'm there, compliments of Terry ("thinze3"). Then back for three days before another two-week cruise. Then back for two days before another bridge tournament (Gatlinburg). Then back for an overnight before going to Charleston, SC for the Family Circle Cup women's tennis tournament. Then home for four days before going up to Boston for some ballroom dancing with my former dance partner, for some visits with my old boss and some friends and to play in another bridge tournament while I'm there. From there to Stanford (Palo Alto) for a track and field meet in early May. Then....

That's too much already....

However, lest one thinks I'm made of money, all of my hotel stays and most of my plane tickets are paid for with FF miles and hotel points (mostly Marriott) accumulated but never used over the past 28 years since those programs began.

Last edited:

optimist

TUG Member
Reaction score
However, lest one thinks I'm made of money, all of my hotel stays and most of my plane tickets are paid for with FF miles and hotel points (mostly Marriott) accumulated but never used over the past 28 years since those programs began.

I guess your points must be from the good old days before you had to use them or lose them. I just called Hilton this morning to find out that my accumulated points had disappeared because I had been "inactive" for more than a year.
It's great to hear about your trips. keep us posted.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have had regular activity in all of the accounts - accumulating the miles/points until I retired last sumnmer and now using them. I was very careful to avoid any expirations, occasionally using some of the low-cost activity actions often discussed in the TUG Travel forum.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow- keeping track of the schedule alone must make you tired ;), to say nothing of all that packing and unpacking...sounds like you're busier than while working. Have great trips!!

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
On the Grand Princess - Eastern, Western and Southern Caribbean. I leave on Friday.

...and a big thanks to you, Terry. I really enjoyed the rodeo in Houston last week, thanks to your generosity!

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm back from my travels discussed in the most recent few posts in this thread. I'll be at home for much of the next month. Then I have about 18 weeks of additional travel this year, including five weeks of cruises, a couple of weeks in Europe this summer, a lot of family stuff, a track meet in Eugene, and a bunch of duplicate bridge tournaments. I'll finish off my cruising frenzy with a three-week cruise to Antarctica next January.

Meanwhile, I'll find more time for TUG than I have in the past four months.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Wow! What a schedule! Nice to have you back on TUG for a little while.

What has been your best trip so far?

JimC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney - AKV, BCV, OKW, VGC; Marriott - Canyon Villas/Shadow Ridge, Cypress Harbour
Dave, you are going to need a vacation to recover from all of your travel :)

Welcome back!

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welcome back! Glad to hear that you are safe and sound and enjoying yourself!! I'm tired just rading about all the places you've been;)

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Welcome home Dave. When can we expect your novel? :) Writing is a great retirement hobby.

Brian

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome back Dave.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
... I'll finish off my cruising frenzy with a three-week cruise to Antarctica next January...

Can you pack Kristin, or Geo, or one of the other fabulous photographers from the Picture of The Day Lounge thread into your suitcase, so that we'll be able to see what you see? :D

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
I'll finish off my cruising frenzy with a three-week cruise to Antarctica next January. Meanwhile, I'll find more time for TUG than I have in the past four months.

Dave,

In case you don't get the weekly newsletter from VacationsToGo.com, the president of the company, Alan Fox, recently returned with his family from a trip to Antarctica on the Minerva. Here's links to his Antarctica Newsletter Series including links to his Photo Slide Shows.

Part I: The Drake Passage

Part II: Penquin Island

Part III: Arctowski Research Station

Part 4: Mikkelsen Harbour

Part V: Neko Harbour and Cierva Cove

Part 6: Deception Island and Half Moon Island

Sounds like it's going to be a wonderful trip.

Best regards,

Richard

Last edited:

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Dave, I hope you are writing all your exploits down and please include how you used the MRP and FF points to your best advantage. I know you did.. now share!!

Your vacations sound so awesome. I am so jealous although I would have to be schlepped around in a wheelbarrow by now due to my perennially aching feet. I'm so glad you are having fun. This is what retirement is meant to be. We vacation a lot but you make us look sick in comparison to you. Good job!!!

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Responding to several questions....

I am using MR points extensively this year for total of 74 nights over 18 different stays in cities such as Sydney (Australia), Houston, Boston, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Berlin, Seattle and San Francisco. I'm using FF miles for many of the plane trips to get to foreign cities, often in business class. I'll still have ton of points and miles after this year, but using them significantly reduces my cost of travel in these early stages of retirement.

My three favorite cruises are Australia / New Zealand (this past January) and two yet to be completed - the Baltics (St. Petersburg, Scandinavia and other Northern Europe) this summer and Antarctica next January. I have looked forward to those three for a number of years. After those, my favorite cruise will always be "the next one".

I have actually lost weight on every cruise I have taken this year. I usually watch what I eat and I'm very active on a cruise (e.g., continuing my normal running program).

Yes, I get the VacationsToGo newsletter. There are certainly some incredible cruise offerings currently - some at less than $50 per day per person.

catwgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

We enjoyed meeting you in HH in-between your trips.

But, wow, just reading about your schedule is exhausting.

Enjoy! I hope to follow your lead when I retire. :whoopie:

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It seems to be an awfully long time since Save has posted. Has anyone heard from him that all is well and hopefully he's having too good a time to check in here?