• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

II's XYZ 2-for-1 Exchange Program Frustrations

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
As many of you know, Interval has a semi-secret, unpublicized program called XYZ that allows one to book an extra week on top of a regular confirmed exchange for just the cost of the phone exchange fee (currently $169).

There are several other threads on this, but in a nutshell, you are able to book your "free" week as long as your confirmed exchange has not yet commenced, the location you would like to book into is on their XYZ grid (think II getaways to places with ample supply), no part of the reservation touches a holiday, you expect that their grid will usually only go out 4 months or so, and you book a room size equivalent to or less than what you deposited (not the unit size of your exchange if you uptraded, although in the past before XYZ was more underground, it was apparently frequent that this constraint either didn't exist or was routinely ignored by agents...now, not so much).

What has also come to be well known on TUG is that the understanding by II reps of the program is highly inconsistent. This is where my frustration has set in. I had called several times in the last few weeks, checking if the grid for Palm Springs had opened up for July. Nope, it was still only open until June. Since my confirmed exchange commences Sunday, April 1st, I knew I needed to book an XYZ today and just settle for June. Here goes:

CALL #1 -- I tell the agent that I am ready to book a 2br in Palm Springs for late June. However, she tells me that unfortunately only studios a 1brs are left, and near the beginning of the month. Dammit.

CALL #2 -- I called back a couple hours later hoping for a miracle. This rep tells me that the grid for Palm Springs is only open until May. Palm Springs was not made available for June. I asked her if she was sure, because I had been going over June options with another rep only a couple hours earlier. She told me to hold on to double check.

A few minutes later, she gets back on the line to tell me that she checked with the "help desk" (whatever that is), and was informed that XYZ reservations can only be booked for weeks that are concurrent (i.e., booking an extra room) or consecutive (i.e., adding an extra week) to the original confirmed exchange, and only studio units. I told her this is the first time I have heard that in my conversations. She said, no, that is what the help desk told her...and that Palm Springs is open until May anyway. I thanked her for her time and hung up.

CALL #3 -- I called right back and asked about booking An XYZ for June. After she brought up my information she says, "I just spoke with you." D'oh, it was the same agent (that never happens!). I awkwardly explained that no offense, but when I receive conflicting information, I just like to call back to confirm for my own comfort. She was understanding, but did say that the help desk gave her the scoop on the program, so I probably won't hear anything different. We exchanged pleasant goodbyes and that was that.

CALL #4 -- I waited a minute and called again. I got a diff rep. Pretty much went like call #1, except he is finding a couple 1brs later in June (not end of June because XYZ cannot overlap with 4th of July...holiday) at Marriott Shadow Ridge and Marriott Desert Springs Villas II. I tell him I really need a 2br, is there anything he can do. He says all that's left are studios and 1brs. I tell him that I will think about it and call back a bit later after I discuss with my spouse. Good call, we hang up.

(Side note: He says that the XYZ grids they use are paper-based, not system-based)

CALL #5 -- After huddling up with the spouse, we decided that for $169, two adults and three toddlers can tolerate a 1br (timesharing has spoiled us already). But then I had to add insult to injury to today's XYZ ordeal by royally effing up. I had checked online and knew that Interval closed at 8pm tonight. So I called back at 6p, crossing my fingers that a 2br would magically appear in inventory, but ready to book a 1br if not. However, I get the msg that Interval is closed. Huh? It was supposed to be open until 8p. Wait, ohhh, Eastern Standard Time. :doh: Dammit! :mad: Now I am probably SOL on booking my XYZ. But I will call back first thing in the morning and pray for rain.

Moral of the story. If you don't like the answer you get when you call, just hang up and try again. Don't argue with the rep or try to escalate, just politely thank them for their time and call back to get a different rep. Oh, and make sure to get your time zones right.

Last edited:

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I have called four different times this morning, with two agents telling me that Pal Springs is not available for June, and the others two now only having studios available. At least no one was saying I couldn't book it on day of my confirmed exchange. Still doesn't get me a 1br. Waited too long. This blows.

Another note: Because this is a paper-based system to some degree, I think that is what contributes to the variability of responses. One rep said that this is not the same inventory as Getaways. Another said that it is not all of the inventory of regular exchamges and that she "has to check a few different things" to book an XYZ.

Last edited:

slomac

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Ridge Tahoe x2

Grand Pacific Palisades

Marriott Shadow Ridge

SDO

Kauai Beach Villas
I have called numerous times for Palm Desert XYZ and they always tell me only studios available thru june, no 1 bedrooms. I would have taken a one bedroom in a heartbeat.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am an idiot.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep calling back, one agent said that Palm Springs is not available in June, yadda yadda. Another said that some agents had not received updated grids and are still working off of old grids, and she had to specifically request a new grid when she learned she didn't have the latest. She also said that follow the only way to book an XYZ is if the original exchange is also on the grid. I asked her if she was sure, and she said she was sure from the guidance she received, although she was walking through a specified checklist that apparently supposed to be using, and couldn't find that restriction, do figure. She mentioned that there are a lot of agents that are not following the checklist, and booking XYZs improperly, and that they had been told that if this keeps happening, the program will be discontinued.

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)
Keep calling back, one agent said that Palm Springs is not available in June, yadda yadda. Another said that some agents had not received updated grids and are still working off of old grids, and she had to specifically request a new grid when she learned she didn't have the latest. She also said that follow the only way to book an XYZ is if the original exchange is also on the grid. I asked her if she was sure, and she said she was sure from the guidance she received, although she was walking through a specified checklist that apparently supposed to be using, and couldn't find that restriction, do figure. She mentioned that there are a lot of agents that are not following the checklist, and booking XYZs improperly, and that they had been told that if this keeps happening, the program will be discontinued.

Hence the reason why I like to keep XYZ discussions to the Sightings forum. :cheer:

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pearls before swine...

Hence the reason why I like to keep XYZ discussions to the Sightings forum. :cheer:

I hear you, but the mods don't give a rat's behind and many commited TUG robin hoods wanted the info available to the masses and are convinced that (1) TUG is so small in the whole scheme of things that we have no impact on the program and (2) even if we did have an impact, it is more important that we feed the members, lurkers, and guests with these pearls of wisdom, since it is an II perk that should be available to all. If that's what they want, that's what they get.

In the meantime, I have no one to blame bit myself for screwing up my XYZ. Only consolation is that I'm closing on a couple more timeshares that have free 2012 usage, and I will make sure to correctly XYZ those puppies.

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have called numerous times for Palm Desert XYZ and they always tell me only studios available thru june, no 1 bedrooms. I would have taken a one bedroom in a heartbeat.

That is also what I was told more than once about Palm springs..studios only.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
You need a good II rep who won't waste your time.

Also, I think we need to keep this program in perspective. It's a bonus program. You shouldn't have any expectations. When I'm able to get one of these weeks and it works with my schedule I'm very pleased, but I'm not under any preconceived notion that I will get what I want, where I want. I think this thread encourages the belief that you are somehow blaming II for the fact that you spent so much time trying to make it work and it hasn't so far. Of course, II customer service could be improved dramatically, and if that was your main criticism I'd agree totally.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Completely understand it is a bonus program. I am not blaming them for not getting what I wanted. That was my own damn fault. The frustrating part is the inconsistency of knowledge among reps. Getting a different story every time you call is frustrating, and one doesnt know if the story they call is accurate.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Completely understand it is a bonus program. I am not blaming them for not getting what I wanted. That was my own damn fault. The frustrating part is the inconsistency of knowledge among reps. Getting a different story every time you call is frustrating, and one doesnt know if the story they call is accurate.

It's not a transparent program, not published, not on their website. They can change the rules and availability at any time without disclosure.

II isn't the best by any means, but I appreciate they created a way to increase their revenue and get us opportunities for low cost weeks occasionally. I'm one of those who believes this shouldn't be on the public side of this site, and won't list anything specific here. Your beef (as opposed to beef...not) is with the quality of the II reps, which is why I first suggested you get a quality rep and only call that individual... Since I've done this my frustration with II (other than their extremely poor web site) has been reduced substantially.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
You know, that is what I should have done, got the names and extensions of the agents who had the most favorable understanding of the program and only dealt with them. Live and learn. I will not make the same mistake twice.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
As many of you know, Interval has a semi-secret, unpublicized program called XYZ that allows one to book an extra week on top of a regular confirmed exchange for just the cost of the phone exchange fee (currently $169).

There are several other threads on this, but in a nutshell, you are able to book your "free" week as long as your confirmed exchange has not yet commenced, .

It seems that the real schedule "pinch" is when your original exchange date is imminent and you want to look out schedulewise to the maximum.

I'm wondering if this would work better for myself:

I own at Marriott DS2 and I like going to that area more often than I have timeshare units so I have been buying Getaways to fill in the gaps. So, say that I reserve my unit, split it, deposit it (either side) and then exchange for another unit (at either a different Marriott in Palm Desert or a different time) but do so with plenty of advance time - - perhaps as long as a year out. Would that mean that I would have basically a year to find an XYZ unit ? That would mean that I would probably use the XYZ unit BEFORE I used the actual exchanged unit?

Is this how it would work?

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would that mean that I would have basically a year to find an XYZ unit ? That would mean that I would probably use the XYZ unit BEFORE I used the actual exchanged unit?

Is this how it would work?

Correct. If your exchange takes place next year, you have up until that time to XYZ for a location that is on grid. As long as you book prior to the confirmed exchange happening, yes you could then use your XYZ before your confirmed exchange. But remember the grid only goes out a few months at a time, so your XYZ off of next year's exchange would take place on or before this June or so if you booked today.

Keep a lookout for threads across the TUG public forums or in the private sightings forum that folks discuss updates to the grids when they are published.

Last edited:

bach

TUG Member
Reaction score
Worlmark owner and XYZ program

I have been told by a II rep that credits or points members as Worldmark can not used the XYZ program. Someone heard about that?:wall: :wall:

When I made a reservation for RH at RM april 21 to april 28 the rep that I talked to told me that I have to pick up a place where I want to go before the end of june. When I called back with it ... I received an other story.:shrug:

LLW

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been told by a II rep that credits or points members as Worldmark can not used the XYZ program. Someone heard about that?:wall: :wall:

When I made a reservation for RH at RM april 21 to april 28 the rep that I talked to told me that I have to pick up a place where I want to go before the end of june. When I called back with it ... I received an other story.:shrug:

Not true. Check on wmowners.com for all things WM:

http://wmowners.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=25&sid=c32924b9893053f328562f6725546b4e

bach

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.:)
I am very please with this forum.:cheer: