• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

II switching to points?

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just read a seperate thread on the Marriott board about II switching to a points system. The original poster said they were at Timberlodge and were told that II was switching to a points system? No one is commenting on that, so I wanted to ask if this topic was common knowledge or a rumor everyone long ago dismissed? I looked on-line and found a points chart for II that values deposits based on size and TDI. Just like in RCI, lock-off units are valued much more than non lock-off units. Just wondering if anyone knows about the pending II switch to points or is this just a rumor. I think there is already some kind of II points system, but I do not think it has had any impact on Marriott owners.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
II made a foray into points starting about two years ago now. So far it hasn't been pushed or even published anywhere near as much as the RCI program was/is. I have seen all the details and it is similar in many ways to the RCI offering but does seem to be a bit more owner/resort friendly. When/if it will become the primary II program is unknown.

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, timeos2. I see a points tab in my Interval page but I never gave any thought to it. I wonder if any Marriott owners are using Interval points? If I have free time, one night I might call II to ask about the points program. Maybe.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Marriott owners who have joined the new Marriott destinations club (DC) use their DC points to make their II trades. The bigger the unit the more points, the higher the demand the week they want has, the more points.

Ann in CA

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Mountainside, Marriott's Waiohai, Marriott's Canyon Villas, Marriott's Marbella, Shell Vacation Club
Our first timeshare purchase was a Shell Vacations Club week. Then they added points and at the time, my husband had trouble getting away for a whole week, so for a "mere" $10,000 we could switch to points. Have regretted it ever since, but we were too busy and too new to timesharing at the time to know better, and didn't want to waste any more weeks.

The only good thing that came out of that purchase (the week) was exchanging to Kauai Beach Club where we were invited to visit the new, unfinished Waiohai property, where my husband immediately felt he'd found his home away from home. Still unTUGged we bought from Marriott, there and at Mountainside after an exchange there, but the Shell points languished after the switch to RCI.

However, now that Shell has switched to II, we have some Marriott opportunities we never had using the points with RCI. Have only done a little browsing with points since it started, but it looks as if our best opportunities will be during Flexchange, as the Marriott preference will probably eliminate getting the top picks we see with our Marriott weeks.

Our Shell maintenance fee is almost equal to our Waiohai annual fee, so we are happy we'll have more chances to use those points for Marriotts. For shell there does not seem to be a changing point scale between the properties yet. That is, a two bedroom is 4500 points during exchange, 1 bedroom = 3500, etc. However, during flexchange, some Marriott properties were as little as
1500 points. I will soon have time to explore the Shell/II points system in a bit more depth, so this is just a first impression.

Our vacation planning has been on hold for the last couple of month as relatives seem to be dropping from broken hips, surgeries, and strokes, and I have been from one coast to the other helping out. (they are all doing well now) Which does point out one good aspect of the DC (which we have not joined due partly to Shell points regret) and that is the ability to cancel without penalty. Luckily, we only lost out on part of our second week in December, but it could have been a big loss, as we had let our Marriott
insurance lapse until our next big out of the country trip.

We do hope II does not switch to a general points system, as a week is always a week, but the point values can change.

Last edited:

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought that the II points system was driven by the resorts. That is the resort made the decision as to whether or not to opt in to the points system not the member.

So if your resort decided to adopt the II points system then you as the member could join butvotherwise not.

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
That might make sense. Since I only own Marriott and Worldmark, I bet neither of those systems joined II's point system. Maybe only non branded resorts have joined II's point system.

I thought that the II points system was driven by the resorts. That is the resort made the decision as to whether or not to opt in to the points system not the member.

So if your resort decided to adopt the II points system then you as the member could join butvotherwise not.

MAINER4GOOD

TUG Member
Reaction score
That might make sense. Since I only own Marriott and Worldmark, I bet neither of those systems joined II's point system. Maybe only non branded resorts have joined II's point system.

From what I understand, the only way to use points with II is to have an upgraded membership (Gold) which gives the member more options/flexability when depositing. I have not heard anything from Interval about moving to a totally points program, but if they do, it needs to be better than RCI's system which seems to work against the owners.