• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

II M to M Exchange is $154

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
:eek: ...I just uptraded my upcoming 1 bedroom exchange to a 2 bedroom using a cancellation replacement week and was charged $154. Is this correct? I was expecting the usual $119 charge, but have never used a replacement week before. I need to call II when they open to cancel my 1 bedroom exchange. If this is correct and they are charging me for a 'non-Marriott' exchange, will this also apply when using my DC account in the future? Or did II just mess up? Thx.

Ingrid

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The regular Marriott to Marriott II exchange fee is now $119 online and $129 over the phone. It sounds like the system didn't recognize your replacement week as a Marriott week. Hopefully a call can straighten it out.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I had the same thing happen to me with a Starwood replace week. I talked to several agents and emailed customer service and got the same answer every time. If you do a retrade by confirming a week as you cancel the 1st exchange you keep the rate (and with the DC it would be free). If you get a replacement week you lose the rate and are charged the regular domestic or international rate regardless of whether you are confirming or searching for Marriott's only or non Marriott's. I believe with the DC exchanging a replacement week would not be free but I am unclear about this.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I had the same thing happen to me with a Starwood replace week. I talked to several agents and emailed customer service and got the same answer every time. If you do a retrade by confirming a week as you cancel the 1st exchange you keep the rate (and with the DC it would be free). If you get a replacement week you lose the rate and are charged the regular domestic or international rate regardless of whether you are confirming or searching for Marriott's only or non Marriott's. I believe with the DC exchanging a replacement week would not be free but I am unclear about this.

This would lead me to believe that II doesn't recognize the replacement week as a Marriott week. Thus it would also not have Marriott priority?

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

The reason I did the uptrade this way this year was because last year I lost both my original trade and the uptrade in the exchange process. For this first time, I was warned that by doing the uptrade I risked losing my weeks and was I absolutely sure I wanted to do this. This is during the Flexchange period. When I questioned why, the II rep at first said when I released the studio for the 2 bedroom, my studio was matched and then when he moved the 2 bedroom to the studio week, that was also lost to a pending request. I questioned both as his answers didn't make sense and after much back and forth, he gave me the 2 bedroom but stated that this was a one-time exception and my account would be noted as such.

This is why this year, I did the uptrade with the extra banked week and cancelled the first exchange, resulting the in canc. repl. week. I did not want a recurrence of last year's problem. And since I currently have too many weeks banked and I expected it to expire, I didn't worry about any potential trade power loss of the cancellation replacement week (there was none).

I am getting very frustrated with the incompetence/lack of training of the II reps. If anyone has a good one they wouldn't mind sharing, please PM me with a name.

I'll post the results of my conversation with II later today.

Ingrid

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Replacement week pays full exchange fee, even if you are retrading to somethng that would typically give you a discount. No II incompetence, you need to learn the rules.

@dioxide, the starwood replacement week I received retained the starwood preference, although the rep said it would not. Trade power is however slightly reduced (it could see everything my original week could, including 2br westin hawaiis, but could not see any HRA that had been banked and my original week could see)

Last edited:

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
. . . No II incompetence, you need to learn the rules.

Of course not...I made my trade on-line. I was referring to frustrations of dealing with II reps. I know a lot more than most of them do. I have notes from the beginning of time, before Tug and their lack of knowledge is astounding.

Ingrid

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Replacement week pays full exchange fee, even if you are retrading to osmethng that would typically give you a discount. No II incompetence, you need to learn the rules.

What about retrades in the DC?

Has anyone else had problems with losing both on an uptrade? I thought that it was a safe thing to do and Ingrid's post is the first I can remember hearing of an issue. It is something that warrants attention if it is a real risk, since oftentimes they are done with airfare already in place.

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
What about retrades in the DC?
fyi, the OP was not using DC account, and by her own admission was expecting to pay the fee, was just surprised she had to pay full fee.

Now back to your question, I don't have a DC account so I can only give you my logical opinion. I think that free cancellation/replacement weeks and retrade/uptrades would cause too much of a hassle to allow for free. I would bet that retrades and replacement weeks would fall under the same rules, paying full fee.

But like you, I will be waiting to hear someone chime in definitively, jist takes a DC owner to make an II phone call :)

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
. . .
Now back to your question, I don't have a DC account so I can only give you my logical opinion. I think that free cancellation/replacement weeks and retrade/uptrades would cause too much of a hassle to allow for free. I would bet that retrades and replacement weeks would fall under the same rules, paying full fee.
. . .)

No they don't...they are free. The only question is the use of a replacement week.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Got a competent II rep :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

She advised that instead of doing a cancellation of my original ressie, that I re-trade the original ressie to the 2 bedroom week. Told her of my experience last year and she said 'no, you will not lose the week(s).' Which is as it has always been in the past until last year when I lost both ressies during the retrade.

She completed the retrade, credited my account with the $154 and charged $129 for the M to M trade. The canc. repl. week is back in my account.

In the non-DC II accounts, anytime a canc. repl. week is used, the full fee is charged. However, a cancellation replacement week is considered a Marriott week with all its goodies...it has the Marriott priority and when using it in the DC account, it's free. The only cost for exchanges in the DC account are the M to non-M exchanges which we are all aware of.

Ingrid

Last edited: