• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

II International elite - harder to trade into

winnipiseogee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that ever since II introduced "International Elite" for the Marriott and HGVC properties its gotten A LOT harder to trade into them?

Among other things we've traded into the Marriotts in Aruba in the fall every year no issues. No I've used weeks with more trading power than I have in the past and I still can't get a match.

candygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
No answer to that question, just wanted to say hello from a New Hampshire girl who just joined Tug! I did belong to II two years ago and owned at Vistana, but since sold to a friend. Now I don't feel like the only New Englander!:)

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I havent noticed any difference. Keep in mind that trading power can change from year to year. That you traded into a particular resort one year doesnt mean you will always have enough trade power to trade into that resort. Interval adjusts trade power from time to time based on quality and demand.

hellolani

TUG Member
Reaction score
Slightly related but different - I just noticed on the Williamsburg Plantation TDI chart that they now use different colour codes for demand on different years. In 2016 vs 2017, there are some March / April weeks that have substantially different TDIs depending on the year. I hope that doesn't suck too much trade power out of my unit (week 14) as it was formerly rated higher when it was just one colour for all years. I've got a triennial, so this should be a treat to try and figure out.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
I haven't noticed it much harder with the change. Is it possibly that everyone is taking the units while still in priority for Marriott owners ?

The only area where I find a difference as II has downgraded the value of studio units dramatically. I used to be able to grab 2 & 3 br units in Ko Olina with my studio units all the time but no it requires a 1 br unless it is last minute.

Keep Traveling

TUG Member
Reaction score
About the same I saw that and ran some tests. My results actually improved over previous years

gmarine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Slightly related but different - I just noticed on the Williamsburg Plantation TDI chart that they now use different colour codes for demand on different years. In 2016 vs 2017, there are some March / April weeks that have substantially different TDIs depending on the year. I hope that doesn't suck too much trade power out of my unit (week 14) as it was formerly rated higher when it was just one colour for all years. I've got a triennial, so this should be a treat to try and figure out.

The TDI for Williamsburg during March/April will vary depending on when the Easter/Passover school break is.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I haven't noticed it much harder with the change. Is it possibly that everyone is taking the units while still in priority for Marriott owners ?

The only area where I find a difference as II has downgraded the value of studio units dramatically. I used to be able to grab 2 & 3 br units in Ko Olina with my studio units all the time but no it requires a 1 br unless it is last minute.
I agree with your assesment. The studios have lost a lot of trade power. Now a 1br is needed in most instances for bigger units. Ahh the old days are gone of getting a 3br at mko with a studio 4 months out.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I have seen no noticeable difference in being able to see the new Elite resorts before or now after the designation was added.

I think there has been a longer term restriction in trade power of higher level properties, especially being able to trade in to larger units with studio units. We are still getting good trades and still trading our studio units in to larger units. It requires some flexibility though.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Has anyone looked closely at the new TDI's? I think some people may be using the standard holiday/week TDI's and not referencing the year-specific TDI's for 2017.

This is not necessarily a look-back comment, but really a look-forward comment.

Has this been in place before and I just haven't noticed it?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Has anyone looked closely at the new TDI's? I think some people may be using the standard holiday/week TDI's and not referencing the year-specific TDI's for 2017.

This is not necessarily a look-back comment, but really a look-forward comment.

Has this been in place before and I just haven't noticed it?

The TDI tables in the new book are new. They have adjusted them to show the differences in TDI for certain weeks (mainly holiday weeks) that differ from one year to the next.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Elite resorts really have no direct connection to trading power. It should generally indicate a higher trading power needed but not any higher than before they added the new tag.

High supply areas in shoulder and off season are still not going to need much power whether the resort is Elite or not.

Westgate Smoky Mountains is tagged as Elite. Should it be? It's decent for a Westgate and in an area with lower quality resorts but does it meet II's definition of "Elite"? Judging from reviews it definitely does not come remotely close. Not horrible but on par with the best of the best? No way.

Perhaps II is using a given region to tag the best as Elite which would definitely make sense in the case of WSM.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Elite resorts really have no direct connection to trading power. It should generally indicate a higher trading power needed but not any higher than before they added the new tag.

High supply areas in shoulder and off season are still not going to need much power whether the resort is Elite or not.

Westgate Smoky Mountains is tagged as Elite. Should it be? It's decent for a Westgate and in an area with lower quality resorts but does it meet II's definition of "Elite"? Judging from reviews it definitely does not come remotely close. Not horrible but on par with the best of the best? No way.

Perhaps II is using a given region to tag the best as Elite which would definitely make sense in the case of WSM.

Is there somewhere in the new I.I. book that list all the new Elite resorts and International resorts.