• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

II: How is "value" of ownership deposited from the major systems set at the system level? Not: what is trading power for a given deposit.

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
Its been bugging me for a while and the changes earlier in the year for what Hyatt and Welk can routinely expect to get from depositing in II now make me want to ask.
Do we know/understand or believe whether it is the timeshare systems (MVC, Hyatt, DVC) that set out how much "value" their ownerships can get from depositing in II or is it something II do. I can't see that is it set by II alone.
Is there money flowing from the timeshare to II that helps set out how much can be got for a given unit of ownership? II's a business so I'd assume so in some form.
I know:
- DVC points and Abound Club points in II are terrible value to deposit, relative to other uses or maint fee costs.
- MVC weeks are good, ignoring MVC preference period.
- Hyatt was exceptional and is now possibly just good to very good
- Worldmark seems good to very good.

All thoughts and experiences appreciated.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't believe II decides on the "value". Each timeshare system decides on the conversion value, wrt points deposit. It is up to the owners to decide whether it is good value to deposit and exchange or not. You are over thinking.

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are over thinking.
Thanks, I'm interested not over thinking.
Why would MVC make its Club points such a truly terrible trade in II when its weeks are not?
What motivated Hyatt to change the value of what Hyatt owners get using II earlier this year?
Why would DVC choose II and then have the value from DVC points deposit to II be so poor?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Given the somewhat across the board changes earlier this year with trade power, I suspect it is more or less II that is driving the adjustments. Though I suspect they are also negotiating with the different timeshare brands. Remembering though that Hyatt, Vistana and Marriott are owned by the same entity that owns II. There were also adjustments made to Diamond trade power both on the weeks and points side.

While none of us can fully answer the question, we need to understand that II doesn't take points. Points mean nothing to them really. They only take weeks based deposits. So they need to work with the different systems to determine what the brand is willing to give up in exchange for a certain number of points and what deposit II actually gets from it.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Given the somewhat across the board changes earlier this year with trade power, I suspect it is more or less II that is driving the adjustments. Though I suspect they are also negotiating with the different timeshare brands. Remembering though that Hyatt, Vistana and Marriott are owned by the same entity that owns II. There were also adjustments made to Diamond trade power both on the weeks and points side.

While none of us can fully answer the question, we need to understand that II doesn't take points. Points mean nothing to them really. They only take weeks based deposits. So they need to work with the different systems to determine what the brand is willing to give up in exchange for a certain number of points and what deposit II actually gets from it.
OP's question is on "value" and not trade power. II makes changes to trade power regularly. Value, i.e. how many points are required for a studio, 1BR etc deposit, is determined by the brands.

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
Given the somewhat across the board changes earlier this year with trade power, I suspect it is more or less II that is driving the adjustments.
OK II are driving the adjustments, but why these now and all at once? Is it that the financial model for what comes in vs what goes out is showing underperformance so systems either need to "pay" more or take less?

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
OP's question is on "value" and not trade power. II makes changes to trade power regularly. Value, i.e. how many points are required for a studio, 1BR etc deposit, is determined by the brands.
But when I asked II about the changes related to Hyatt, I took the response to indicate it was a joint discussion between II and Hyatt. The OP was also mentioning those changes, so I take it that was part of their question. So yes, the resort does allocate a certain number of points to a certain unit size but II has to agree with the load balancing of points as to what a depositor can pull back out for that set number of points.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
OK II are driving the adjustments, but why these now and all at once? Is it that the financial model for what comes in vs what goes out is showing underperformance so systems either need to "pay" more or take less?
I suspect they did some kind of analysis and saw that these systems were taking a disproportionate amount of inventory out of the exchange pool vs. what they were putting into the exchange pool.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Thanks, I'm interested not over thinking.
Why would MVC make its Club points such a truly terrible trade in II when its weeks are not?
What motivated Hyatt to change the value of what Hyatt owners get using II earlier this year?
Why would DVC choose II and then have the value from DVC points deposit to II be so poor?
What makes a lot of he Marriott weeks decent exchange value is the ability to trade up. With points systems overall you can't trade up. Especially if II is counting not only tdi but also making premium and elite resorts cost most points, that trade up is gone. Worldmark is decent but only because the MF's are relatively low on the number of points to get the nicer resorts even in high season.

If you have a high season high value non lock off like Hilton Head or Newport Marriott, on the other hand using II isn't a good value because most exchanges would be trading down. But if you want a small fairly off season studio using points even Marriot points might be a better value than using an exchange week.

DVC value is only poor because the MF's are relatively high and the rental value of DVC points are so good.

I don't think Hyatt make the choice to change the grid. I think it was time to renew the contract with II and that is the deal they got. Who knows what Hyatt got in return though. It is a better deal for II than it is for Hyatt members. Worldmark owners better hope they have their grid locked in because it is much more adventatious to them but unlike many other point owners that have a fairly exclusive deal to exchange in II, I think World mark is slightly more favorable to rci, so at least when they were originally coming up with the grid it wasn't a captive audience like some of the others.